Calling all COFFEE LOVERS!

LauraS

Glad to see there are coffee lovers around. I posted a Thread a few weeks aback but I din't get the kind of comments now coming out. I was beginning to think that coffee lovers dont cruise.

I would pay the extra to have a good cup of brew on my balcony on mornings, but would these shops be open say around 5:30 to 600AM.

Will be on Valor Sept 18th. I think ther is a Java Bar.

Coffee snob present and accounted for! I don't like Starbucks coffee, but my custom 4-shot breve latte is always delicious. I'd happily pay for a Starbucks latte rather than drink the "warm liquid substance" the cruise ships pass off as coffee. I loved the "ditchwater" description -- very apt.

When I travel, I always bring my own coffee to brew in my hotel room. The only downside to cruising is not having the option of bringing a coffee maker for my room. I envy those of you who can add flavor enhancers to make it pallatable, but I don't consume sugar and I like my coffee black. The best workaround I found was ordering a latte plus an extra shot (Viking Crown Lounge - RCCL), adding a shot of Irish whiskey and two packets of splenda. (Clearly not a good option for morning coffee!:eek: )

Hey Cruise Lines - PLEASE GIVE US SOME DECENT COFFEE OPTIONS!

I'm not terribly picky about my coffee. I'll drink anything from Folgers to a mild Starbucks :) That said, I thought the coffee on both of my cruises was pretty darn good. I don't get real creamer very often, so the cold half and half was a nice addition and probably helped it!

when you wake up and order your coffee from room service and when you get it, it sure taste good on your balcony. it is great to watch the world go by while you are drinking your first cup of the day!!;)

So glad I read this thread. My wife and I were beginning to think we were just plain weird. We are the only people we know who dislike Starbucks. Now we know there are others. As for the Folgers...it's what I drink most of the time and like it!! Guess that proves I don't know squat about coffee. But that's what makes the world go around...to each his own. We have been on 8 cruises..five Costas..two Princess and one Carnival. We enjoyed the coffee on all of them, but my wife..who drinks more coffee than I..gives the nod to Costa. We both like strong coffee and the Costa ships we have been on filled the bill. Carnival was not far behind. Princess our least favorite. And as spme previous posters have said..the atmosphere of a cruise makes a lot of things better than they really may be otherwise.

I'm a coffee lover, originally from LA and like mine black. My everyday coffee is Community Dark Roast. I'm currently drinking some good Costa Rican coffee from my last cruise to the Panama Canal on the Coral Princess. I also really like Jamaican Blue Mountain. However, I've found that the coffee is always great on the balcony while watching the waves go by....can't be beat...and I've never had a bad cup from room service when enjoyed in this manner, no matter which ship or cruise line.

Just had to put my two-cents in here....

I've been on 15 cruises...from Celebrity, to Costa, to Princess, Orient Lines, Holland America and NCL.

Last year on the Diamond Princess I experienced what was to be the most atrocious coffee EVER on any cruise I've been on. I have to admit many of the boards about the Diamond criticized the quality of the coffee onboard.

I didn't heed their warnings....suffered through a few days before searching like a madwoman through every little store I could find in Alaska for some type of coffee substitute. My goal was to find those Coffee Singles from Folgers. I didn't have any luck then, but I promise you they're in my luggage on every cruise from now on.

So, I have read all of your posts, and agree that the coffee is not that great on board.I am terribly addicted to the stuff, myself! Anyway, right next the coffee is hot chocolate, and if you put a little bit of hot chocolate into the small cup of coffee, you get an okay cup of coffee. Just a suggestion! :)

So, I have read all of your posts, and agree that the coffee is not that great on board.I am terribly addicted to the stuff, myself! Anyway, right next the coffee is hot chocolate, and if you put a little bit of hot chocolate into the small cup of coffee, you get an okay cup of coffee. Just a suggestion! :)

That is exactly what we did on the Ecstasy...pretty decent

I am normally a "frappacino" drinker....I can see alot of people have a true dislike of Starbucks...but I am not one of them...I admit it:p I LOVE MOCHA FRAPPACHINOS!:D And if anyone can tell me if they have iced or blended coffee on the Conquest I would be most happy!?! We leave SUNDAY!!!! YEAH!!

Add me to the "Starbucks sucks" club...... Don't know how they've become so successful?? But, as for coffee on a ship, they all taste about the same to me, not great, not awful. When I travel on land, I always travel with my own coffee, single cup maker, cup and make my first stop at a store to pick up a carton of half and half. I also always travel (land and shipboard) with a bottle of Davinci's sugarfree Hazelnut syrup. I even have a little sample size bottle (looks just like the liquor miniatures) that I hide in my purse for use in resturants..... I've gotten a few strange looks from people when I pull that out...... But makes almost all coffee taste good!

Cruised the Miracle last May and the coffee really wasn't that bad. Not the best, but it made do...until we discovered the coffee bar. Oh my...worth the money spent on the extra touch. The Chai tea was great from the coffee bar, too!. Getting ready to sail the Glory and looking forward to giving the specialty coffee bar a try. We do not drink, do not gamble or play bingo...not interested in the art autions....coffee is our only vice :)

I have to agree any coofee on the balcony in the morning is GREAT

but 7 days at sea, I had a hard time doing without my TIM HORTONS

Those from Canada will know what I am talking about....

LOL

My next cruise I am taking some tim horton's packages with me and brew my own...LOL

:)

And add me to the can't tolerate Starbucks list.

any coffee enjoyed on a cruise ship is okay with me...i start my day with folgers decaf while i am waiting for room service...a little Bailey's or Cask and Cream eases the worst coffee!

any coffee enjoyed on a cruise ship is okay with me...i start my day with folgers decaf while i am waiting for room service...a little Bailey's or Cask and Cream eases the worst coffee!

So true ! :)

Add me to the "Don't Like Starbucks" list too. They definitely burn their beans. I have only cruised Disney and needed my java jolt to get me up. I guess it was ok. But for all you coffee lovers out there you really must give Dominion a try. I just happen to live in the neighborhood where it is roasted and know some of the people involved in the parent company. Otherwise would never have heard of it. The coffee really is the best I have ever had. Even beats Kona. And when you find out why Dominion exists it's an even better deal. Someone should try to get the cruise ships to serve it.

http://www.dominiontrading.com/default.asp

Be brave and try it, you will like it!!

it is great to watch the world go by while you are drinking your first cup of the day!

BOB, WHAT HAVE YOU BEEN PUTTING IN YOUR COFFEE?

WHAT KIND OF WORLD ARE YOU WATCHING GO BY IN THE MIDDLE OF THE OCEAN? YOU CRACK ME UP.

HELL WITH THE COFFEE, LET'S ALL HAVE SOME BLOODY MARY'S FOR BREAKFAST. :D

Add me to the "Don't Like Starbucks" list too. They definitely burn their beans.

!

My local roaster has a sign that says "Friends Don't let friends go to Starbucks".

I don't like mass roasted, tossed into a bag beans because, as the saying goes, you don't buy your bread pretoasted, so why buy your beans already roasted? If you don't live near a roaster, you can always buy green coffee beans and roast them yourself.

Anyhoo, I happen to live 10 miles away from a newly built Starbucks roasting plant. Why does Starbucks taste burnt? ANd why is their coffee so acidic that it eventually will turn your stomach?Well, after you roast your beans, you need to let them sit for a spell. They will give off some gasses then they are good to grind. Starbucks uses a giant tumbler type of roaster. Coffee beans go in one end and out the other. As soon as it is roasted, it is bagged and shipped.

If you want more info on coffee, click this:

http://www.coffeereview.com/index.cfm

For those who want a good espresso or even a simple cup of coffee, check out this machine (this is what I use):

http://www.wholelattelove.com/Gaggia/Compact.cfm

It might seem pricey, but if you make frequent trips to the local coffee shack, it will pay for itself. There are better, more pricey units out there, but this is the bottom of what is worthwhile. It takes your beans, grinds them, packs them, runs hot water through the grind for espresso, then disposes of the old grinds into a waste hopper. It also has a boiler with with a frother to make steam to froth the milk. And, it will taste way, way better than using a pot and a cheap coffee dispenser. Occasionally, I'll take it to work and the most common response is "This tastes way better than Starbucks". Well, I should think so!

Talk about a coffee drinker. We grind our own and drink it all day. 24-7. I get better coffee at the WaWa or BP stations down here in the Carolina's. I would pass on Starbucks in a min and go there. I did have some fair coffee on Legend but not great. It seemed much better early in the AM.

What i really love is a Venti xtra hot skim CHAI from starbucks. any chance of getting one on the Victory?

i have tried all the grocery stuff and nothing compares to a starbucks chai.

I am not sure i can get through 7 days without one :)

I love my coffee, and yes, I'm a a coffee snob. Can't stand flavored coffees or syrups, but I do like a really flavorful, rich roast. Grind my beans every morning. I've found a local place that roasts their own, and has a booth at the farmers market.

I've never used a french press before, but I did recently see an insulated mug that has a french press built into it. I thought about getting one of those, taking my own coffee and just ordering hot water from room service or running up to the lido deck. Thoughts?

Trish

At home I use a french press but I have a (safe) coffee maker DH and I use in our travels. It brews into 2 thermal mugs and has no hot plate (not a fire hazzard). I grind beans and put them into small bags for each brew. Tastes fresh, hearty and NOT burnt.

Great coffee on board would be great but, I don't think cruise lines will ever please everyone.

Bring your own, no wait or walk.;)

We recently went on the Glory and took our own Coffee Maker and Dunkin Donuts Coffee with us. Have been on several cruises and the coffee is wicked! Our cabin steward had a cup with us every day. She loved it. Said she did not drink the ships coffee.

We did have cappucinos from the coffe bar. They were good. For the record, we totally dislike Starbucks. I do not know what the attraction is for that coffee!

Archived