First cruise, big hurricane

joboo

Going on my first cruise this Saturday (7-16) from Houston to the Yucatan and Belize. Just wondering if anyone knows what the cruise line will/may do because of the weather. I've called them and they have offered no information except to say that the ship is sailing on time, not exactly helpful. I can't imagine playing chicken in the gulf with a storm like that.

Thanks,

joboo

Pack an extra box of Bonine :D

They will not take the ship into the storm. They will alter the intineary to make sure the ship is as far from the storm as posible. If necessary they will even delay departure.

The decision will be in the Captain's hands with a lot of help. Number one consideration will be safety.

Joboo,

Welcome to the boards! No announcements have been made as of yet by anyone as far as altering itineraries. Usually, the cruise lines wait until it's absolutely inevitable that they must change course. Rest assured that there is NO WAY you'll sail into the storm.

Going on my first cruise this Saturday (7-16) from Houston to the Yucatan and Belize. Just wondering if anyone knows what the cruise line will/may do because of the weather. I've called them and they have offered no information except to say that the ship is sailing on time, not exactly helpful. I can't imagine playing chicken in the gulf with a storm like that.

Thanks,

joboo

Joboo...Don't worry! A big ship is safer than being on land because they can direct it away from the storm. I was on a cruise in the middle of Hurrican Floyd. We couldn't get off in most ports, but if you remember that one did a ton of damage. In fact we had to get off in Fort Lauderdale because Port Canaveral was damaged. My rental car was at the wrong place but the cruise line took care of everything including some monetary compensation. Shuttled us back to the airport and everything. And it was actually one of the smoothest sailings I've been on. The captain stayed well away from the storm. Hurricanes are unpredictable, but you can bet they have a myriad of options depending on what happens. Kick back and enjoy your cruise! My husband and I will be doing the same itinerary in january.

JT

if I am correct this will be NCL Sea last cruise out of Houston. The ship isn't quite as large as some so you will get rocking even on a good day. We have sailed out of Houston twice. Now with that said, yes you may want to bring some bonine, plan to have a great time and the capt will take care of the rest. They really know how to stay out of the hurricane's path, right now she is heading toward Jamaca which is quite aways from the Mexican Gulf. Like Shoreguy said, they will not sail into the storm and can change the itinerary at anytime. Didn't you always want to see the pacific ocean side of Mexico? LOL

Relax and keep packing!!!

nmnita

The 5-day forcast shows Emily headed for the Western Caribbean. http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/tracking/at200505_5day.html

You may have ports cancelled or new ports substituted, depending on the track of Emily and the Captain's decisions. You will be safe, but you will need to be flexible regarding the ports. Keep a good attitude, and it will be fun no matter what. :)

We passed very near hurricane Ivan last year on the Sea.. It was rough going but never felt it was life threatening.. We did miss Cancun and circled back to catch Cozumel on the way home. I love the Sea, you will love her too..

You called that one correct, Shoreguy. According to the NCL website, the Sea will spend Monday in Key West instead of Cozumel -- the remainder of the week's itinerary has not yet been determined.

Here's the link: http://www.ncl.com/news/index.htm

Only path away from the storm. If it clears out they may loop back and pick up Jamacia and or Gand Caymen

weather forecast for Cozumel.. I am glad I am not there.. Those folks in Key West shoud be glad they are not there eather..lol

Sunday night : Hurricane force winds expected. Bands of heavy rain containing strong gusty winds at times. Low near 75F. NE winds shifting to S at 80 to 100 mph. Significant rainfall amounts possible.

Is it just me or does anyone else object to the vulgarity that has been used on the CC board lately..:(

One of the objectionable words, has been used many times (once in a thread starter) & is defined by the American Heritage Dictionary as "Vulgar Slang"..Yes, have also heard it in everyday conversation but I still object to it..

The word used to describe the actions of the ships crew is very offensive & is also defined as "Vulgar Slang" :(

Is it just me or does anyone else object to the vulgarity that has been used on the CC board lately..:(

One of the objectionable words, has been used many times (once in a thread starter) & is defined by the American Heritage Dictionary as "Vulgar Slang"..Yes, have also heard it in everyday conversation but I still object to it..

The word used to describe the actions of the ships crew is very offensive & is also defined as "Vulgar Slang" :(

It is not just you, the words and the "tone" of the post is offensive.

I went on the cruise right before yours. In fact, I was probably still there when you arrived at the port...my family didn't leave until hours after we disembarked. Anyways, the crew was very enjoyable when I was there. I'm sorry you're not having a good first cruise experience : (

This is the beauty of cruising as opposed to a land vacation on a Caribbean island...if the hurricane is hitting the island you are going to, and you are supposed to stay at the island at a hotel or resort, you basically have no choice. But on a cruise they can always re-route, so you can still eat, drink and be merry no matter where you go. I know Miami is not Mexico, but we had a wonderful time there last year when we sailed on the Dawn. We loved South Beach! And yes, you are not home working! I would be happy to go in your place! My last cruise was Apirl 2004 and my next one is July 2006, so I am not going at all this year, but my family is leaving Sunday on the Carnival Legend (parents, sister and nieces and friends), and we usually all go together so you can imagine how I feel right now! happy for all of them though, and I am sure they will have a blast!

Bonnie

Archived