Which would you advise doing?

Go-Bucks!

We will be in St. Maarten for the first time from 8am-5pm on Wednesday 3/12/14 and would like to walk around Philipsburg for awhile, then take a taxi to Mullet beach and Maho beach for the rest of the day, and taxi back to the ship. We're willing to DIY but have a concern . . . . . there will be 6 ships in port, with a total of 19,400+ passengers!!! :eek:

There is a ship's excursion that lets you walk around Philipsburg for a couple hours then buses you to Marigot for another couple hours of independent touring, then takes you to some (not named) beach for several more hours. Total time is 5 hours. (I really want to see Maho beach airplanes landing, so this would be kind of a disappointment).

I'd rather DIY but keep reading about horrible traffic. I'm concerned with being able to get a taxi and then the possiblilty that it might not get us back to the ship on time with so many pax in port that day. We're not supposed to be tendering, but maybe we'll have to with that many ships.

WHAT WOULD YOU DO?? :confused: All suggestions welcome!! Thx.

Edited by Go-Bucks!

We will be in St. Maarten for the first time from 8am-5pm on Wednesday 3/12/14 and would like to walk around Philipsburg for awhile, then take a taxi to Mullet beach and Maho beach for the rest of the day, and taxi back to the ship. We're willing to DIY but have a concern . . . . . there will be 6 ships in port, with a total of 19,400+ passengers!!! :eek:

There is a ship's excursion that lets you walk around Philipsburg for a couple hours then buses you to Marigot for another couple hours of independent touring, then takes you to some (not named) beach for several more hours. Total time is 5 hours. (I really want to see Maho beach airplanes landing, so this would be kind of a disappointment).

I'd rather DIY but keep reading about horrible traffic. I'm concerned with being able to get a taxi and then the possiblilty that it might not get us back to the ship on time with so many pax in port that day. We're not supposed to be tendering, but maybe we'll have to with that many ships.

WHAT WOULD YOU DO?? :confused: All suggestions welcome!! Thx.

The new causeway bridge is open now and should decrease the traffic congestion in the Simpson Bay / Airport area. I would taxi to Mullet. Walk the 15 minutes to Maho and hen taxi back to town around 2 pm. That way you won't hav to carry your purchases with you all day. You can walk, taxi or water taxi back to the ship from town.

You won't need to tender I don't think. The piers can dock 6 ships.

The new causeway bridge is open now and should decrease the traffic congestion in the Simpson Bay / Airport area. I would taxi to Mullet. Walk the 15 minutes to Maho and hen taxi back to town around 2 pm. That way you won't hav to carry your purchases with you all day. You can walk, taxi or water taxi back to the ship from town.

You won't need to tender I don't think. The piers can dock 6 ships.

Sounds good; hadn't thought about doing Philipsburg last so we're not worried about getting back to the ship on time. Thanks!! :D

Plenty if taxis at the port & Maho Beach. Don't miss the airplanes esp if a jumbo jet comes I'm. Blow ur mind BUT don't go for the beach. It is small & crowded. & rocky. & rough surf. We were knocked down so many times we never went back in. Cab ride for 2 is 16. 2 rental lounges wAiting 4 planes. 30. Return taxi to ship. 16. Worth it 4 the plane experience (2 us).

We chose to book a day-sail on a catamaran, we booked Celine and had a fabulous day. There are others available like Random Wind.

Everything was included, docked off 2 beaches and passed Maho/airport twice with a unique view from the sea. Didn't have to worry or fight traffic at all.

We were there when 8 ships were in port (one of them being the huge Oasis of the Seas), and our ship tendered. While it is was certainly crowded there, we took the public bus to Marigot and back and did not feel rushed at all. Just get going early and leave yourself an hour or two at the end of your day to get back and you should be fine . Enjoy!

Sounds good; hadn't thought about doing Philipsburg last so we're not worried about getting back to the ship on time. Thanks!! :D

Agree with karysa, P'Burg last, because if your walking around results in any purchases (almost a certanity) you won't have to deal with them at the beach.

gary

I have vacationed in St. Martin for more than 20 years. Beaches are still gorgeous. Orient Beach is gorgeous. Shopping used to be great. It has gone down hill. Marigot used to very french upscale with nice boutiques and cafes. Many have closed. Pburg has most of the shopping. Pburg also has a nice boardwalk with beautiful beach. Easy to get to from the ship. When I stop for a day on a cruise, either take an excursion or go to Pburg. Traffic from Mullet Bay is horrible.

If you are shopping for higher end jewelry or for booze, we think that Philipsburg, St. Maarten, is the best shopping in the Caribbean.

We don't know yet what effect the new Simpson Bay Lagoon Causeway and Swing Bridge will have on the traffic flow.

gary

p.s. More than 30 years visiting the island.

Sounds like you want some variety. Have you looked into doing a Bernards tour? just do a google search and it will come up. We have used him twice and have had great days and they dropped us off in Phillipsburg at the end of the tour so we could shop. Went to Orient Beach, both sides of the island, Marigot for shopping and lunch, saw the planes at Maho Beach, just an all around good time!

Sounds like you want some variety. Have you looked into doing a Bernards tour? just do a google search and it will come up. We have used him twice and have had great days and they dropped us off in Phillipsburg at the end of the tour so we could shop. Went to Orient Beach, both sides of the island, Marigot for shopping and lunch, saw the planes at Maho Beach, just an all around good time!

I did check Bernards tours, but we don't want to drive around the island. Just want to relax on the beach, see the big planes come in and shop a bit in Philipsburg. He didn't offer that itinerary, plus just hopping in a taxi to and from the beaches will surely be cheaper and easier than a tour. We usually just use taxis on the islands, as well as many other places, and DIY.

We just got back yesterday in Baltimore from the Grandeur of the Seas Holiday cruise. We were in St Maarten on Dec 30 and here's what we did: we got off the ship very early (8h15, before the crowd) then took a taxi to Mullet Bay - 20 minutes, $9 pp no traffic at all. Beach was lovely, white sand, water calm, no waves, and totally clear. Some snorkeling at the rocks on the left side (towards Maho). Ribs at Rosie's fabulous as advertised, beers $2.50, daiquiris $6. Lots of European tourists. Chairs and umbrella $5 each. In the afternoon, there were no taxis waiting so we walked towards the Sonesta resort (5-10 min) and found taxis waiting in front of the pharmacy. As it was 3pm, the old bridge had just closed but the driver took the new one (which had opened 8 days before), ran into minor traffic but in 20 mins we were on Front St, $30 total for the 4 of us.

We loved Mullet Bay so much that we skipped Maho (and the Air France was delayed that day). Very happy with our choice!

From downtown, we walked to the cruise terminal, 15 mins (alert walking).

As we are not into shopping, we had about 45 mins to buy two T-shirts and walk the Front St. Definitely, lots more to do in St Maarten, so we're planning to go on a land vacation soon!

We just got back yesterday in Baltimore from the Grandeur of the Seas Holiday cruise. We were in St Maarten on Dec 30 and here's what we did: we got off the ship very early (8h15, before the crowd) then took a taxi to Mullet Bay - 20 minutes, $9 pp no traffic at all. Beach was lovely, white sand, water calm, no waves, and totally clear. Some snorkeling at the rocks on the left side (towards Maho). Ribs at Rosie's fabulous as advertised, beers $2.50, daiquiris $6. Lots of European tourists. Chairs and umbrella $5 each. In the afternoon, there were no taxis waiting so we walked towards the Sonesta resort (5-10 min) and found taxis waiting in front of the pharmacy. As it was 3pm, the old bridge had just closed but the driver took the new one (which had opened 8 days before), ran into minor traffic but in 20 mins we were on Front St, $30 total for the 4 of us.

We loved Mullet Bay so much that we skipped Maho (and the Air France was delayed that day). Very happy with our choice!

From downtown, we walked to the cruise terminal, 15 mins (alert walking).

As we are not into shopping, we had about 45 mins to buy two T-shirts and walk the Front St. Definitely, lots more to do in St Maarten, so we're planning to go on a land vacation soon!

Thanks for coming back and posting about your day. I love Mullet Beach. No Caribbean cruises booked for me so I will have to wait until summer for my St. Maarten fix.:)

My opinion, would be to do the french side first, if that is something you want to do. Most people don't jump off of the ship and race to the french side. It shouldn't be that busy. Then, I would go to Maho. Most of the bigger planes land around noon-1ish. you can see incoming flight schedules here.

http://www.joyceprince.com/maho.html

I would then get back to Phillipsburg, making your way towards the cruise ship. Lots of fun places to stop along the way.

The link that I provided is for Joyce Prince tours. I've never taken a tour with her, but I had the good fortune of meeting Joyce during my last stay on the island. She just so happened to be driving the taxi my husband and I got into. She's an admirable woman, really has made a good name for herself on the island, and I would recommend her, even just for taxi services.

Have a great time on your trip, is there anything else you would like to know? or have me check into? I'll be on the island the week of Valentines day. If you think of anything, let me know.

Go Bucks!!

<snip>

The link that I provided is for Joyce Prince tours. I've never taken a tour with her, but I had the good fortune of meeting Joyce during my last stay on the island. She just so happened to be driving the taxi my husband and I got into. She's an admirable woman, really has made a good name for herself on the island, and I would recommend her, even just for taxi services.

Have a great time on your trip, is there anything else you would like to know? or have me check into? I'll be on the island the week of Valentines day. If you think of anything, let me know.

Go Bucks!!

Just to be clear here, Joyce is not a Taxi Driver. She is an Independent Private Tour Operator, and is licensed as such. She has a 'T' plate, for tours, not a 'TAXI' plate.

I believe that the closest Joyce comes to taxi service would be a pre-arranged pickup at the airport and transport to your hotel.

gary

Thanks for clearing that up Gary. She told us that when they are very busy, she helps out with taxi services. Looking at her card now it does say tours, shopping trips, beach trips. I guess that if the OP wanted to schedule a beach/shopping trip that would still maybe be doable.