cruise insurance

csk

I am booked on the Ruby in January, I may have to cancel because of illness in the family, I purchased insurance when I bought the cruise, but now notice on my confirmation form it says "NONREFUNDABLE FARE" am I out of luck, if so why did they sell me insurance.

I am booked on the Ruby in January, I may have to cancel because of illness in the family, I purchased insurance when I bought the cruise, but now notice on my confirmation form it says "NONREFUNDABLE FARE" am I out of luck, if so why did they sell me insurance.

I believe it means that you HAVE to claim a refund via your INSURANCE not just from the Princess site. This is quite normal for us here in Oz You may have to lose some of the fare if you have an excess on your insurance policy.

It means you won't get a refund directly from the cruise line. However, illness is a covered reason and if you submit a claim, it should be paid minus the cost for the insurance. If it's not a covered reason, you'd get a future credit instead. I'd call Berkley Care tomorrow to double check your options and to open a claim if you do need to cancel. I wouldn't worry. You should be OK. Once claims are submitted, it'll take only a week or two to process.

It means you won't get a refund directly from the cruise line. However, illness is a covered reason and if you submit a claim, it should be paid minus the cost for the insurance. If it's not a covered reason, you'd get a future credit instead. I'd call Berkley Care tomorrow to double check your options and to open a claim if you do need to cancel. I wouldn't worry. You should be OK. Once claims are submitted, it'll take only a week or two to process.

Or three.

Cancellation for "Illness in the family" of course will depend on what member of the family in some policies. Too, you will need the paperwork proving the illness and your need to remain behind. Unless you have "for any reason" cancelation, depending on the company, it can get a little tricky in the small print if you didn't read it carefully before purchasing.

The paperwork and proof of bills or reason for cancellation, is the MOST important requirement with insurance companies...from our experience. Make sure you talk to the right person when putting in your claim. And deal with one person, not an array of cutomer service reps.

Edited by eandj