Full time cruisers????

cruisentn

I get all of these emails now. And see the 'specials'. Those cruises that are dirt cheap. But, those are for those lucky ones that are retired and can travel at the drop of a hat. And, I'd think, for those living near a port.

Which got me to wondering.....

In camping we have people that 'full time'. Which means they sell their house and buy a nice RV and hit the road, going where they want and doing what they want, whenever they want. They don't have homes to keep up anymore.

So....

Are there people, retired I'd guess, that intentionally live near a port, stay in a camper or a cheap hotel and be on 'standby' for cruises and scarf up these cheap, last minute cabins??

I mean I've seen some cheap cruise deals. But they're last minute and sail from Cape Canaveral or something like that. But it'd be cheaper to live on a ship for 7 days at some of those prices seen. You just have to be in a spot and time in your life to drop and go.

But again, the short time and the cost of the travel TO the port would limit most people.

Me, just wondering if there is such a similar thing as a Full Time Cruiser.

Thanks!

I've read of a few people who basically lived on cruise ships (not The World) but they were not living near the port waiting for good deals (which sounds good to me!:D).

Interesting question. I'll be interested to see the replies.

There are a fair number of retired folk who spend most of their time cruising.

But rather than hunting for cheap late-booked cruises, they book back-to-backs, "grand voyages" and world cruises. That way they get good "bulk" deals, don't have to keep hunting for the next cruise, don't have to keep packing/un-packing, don't have to keep returning home or finding shore accommodation. And if they don't live near a port, they have two or three months or more between flights.

Limited choice of ships & itineraries, cos who'd want to do the same 7-night itinerary a dozen times in a row? :eek:

Voyages of Discovery is a cruise line popular with Brits who do "Grand Voyages". Their ship meanders around the oceans like a hobo, never visiting the same port for months on end. Can be booked in fortnightly sectors, just one sector or put mebbe a dozen together.

http://www.voyagesofdiscovery.co.uk/voyage_calendar.php?area_id=41

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

Many people do something similar to what you are asking. Not sure they moved to be near the port or if they happened to live near a port so therefore cruise.

There was an article a bit back about a woman who lived for several years on one of the NCL ships, or maybe it was Carnival. It was cheaper than a retirement cruise. If your health will allow it, seems like a good idea.