Gluten Free Children sailing on Liberty of Seas

We have three totally gluten free children sailing on Liberty of the Seas. It is their first cruise and we want them to have a stupendous cruise...just being cautious. Is Liberty of the Seas accomodating about this? We need to know that there is no cross contamination. Does anyone know who I could contact personally about this? Two of the children also have type 1 diabetes but their Mom is a pediatrician and that is well under control. She always has snax for them. Really the GLUTEN FREE is a big issue and the cross contamination may be. I have looked at other posts and googled and while they seem accomodating I am not sure they are thorough.

Thanks for anyone's and everyone's help.

Contact special_needs@rccl.com with the reservation number, names etc.

Once boarded go straight to the MDR and confirm that they have your details. Then explain to your wait staff at dinner and breakfast the situation. In the WindJammer speak to a chef about what is available. With regards to cross contamination that could be a problem there.... you could request specific items to be prepared.

Highly recommend sea days to have lunch in the MDR where you can pre-order. It is worth noting that just because an item is listed on a menu as being GF it only means that it can be prepared GF.... not that it is for all.... so you request those items the day before..... when you attend to dine state that you requested GF previously and when it is delivered again ask for reassurance..... unfortunately on Adventure they delivered an item that had been pre-ordered specifically GF but in fact wasn't.....

Highly recommend GF pizza from Sorrento's and the GF cupcakes from the Cupcake Cupboard are wonderful!! (the latter come at a cost).

For breakfast in the MDR they can get GF muffins, toast, pancakes, french toast and bagels. In WindJammer they will toast GF bread for you..... it's the only way it's edible.

Edited by NorbertsNiece

Since going gluten free, I have been on two cruises (Explorer and Grandeur) and they have been able to accommodate very well. The main dining room indicates which meals can be gluten free and supposedly, the Windjammer does too, but I don't eat there.

The last cruise, the maître de asked that I put in my meal request the night before, so they handle more time to handle my requests. They do have gluten free bread which is quite good. For breakfast, they have gluten free bagels, pancakes, and French toast. You can get Udi snicker noodle cookies at some of the cafés. There were also gluten free pizzas available in the Cafe Promenade, but you might want to ask about cross contamination as their kitchen area doesn't look like it has much extra room.

As far as cross contamination in the main dining room, obviously, I was not in the kitchen when they were cooking my meals. However, on a galley tour on the Vision they explained they used a different section for preparing gluten free breads and meals.

Make sure to have it flagged on your cruise that your child is gluten free, and speak with the maître de and your waiter. On the Explorer, the maître de was exceptional in accommodating me.

I cruise with my partner who is GF, as well as my mother who is GF. I will add an aunt to that list in 6 days time.

All of the food is prepared in a common kitchen, so cross contamination could be an issue. The dining room has GF options printed right on the menu. The items labeled that way can be prepared GF. Again cross contamination could be an issue. My partner, and mother are not affected by any cross contamination, but they aren't overly sensitive either. My aunt is highly sensitive, so I will know more in a couple of weeks when we get back. We also have only done MTD. We always have the same service staff so that they start the night knowing of your issues.

The buffet is going to be your biggest issue. Royal does label their buffet items, or will have someone that can assist you in finding GF items. The biggest concern is the other passengers who will use the same tongs for neighboring items. The cross contamination could be a big issue here. Both my mom and partner take great care to pick items that are GF, and not near other glutenous items to cut down on that. This can't always be a fool proof way. I have heard on the boards where the buffet chef will specially prepare GF items and serve them to passengers upon request. I have not personally seen this done.

You can let special needs know of the GF diets, but this is not usually passed along to kitchen or service staff. Your best bet is to notify your servers on the first night, and they will explain how to go about ensuring your restrictions are met.

Edited by rummenroman

I am just back from a week on Oasis and am celiac. I found many GF options and had no problems whatsoever. The food was delicious and I didn't get sick from cross-contamination. The staff bent over backwards to accommodate me.

We wish you and your family all luck and are glad that you travel well inspite of all challenges...Thanks for encouraging us. The parents of these children are a little nervous but I am fairly sure Royal Carib. will do all to accomodate us...one child is also seriously allergic to flax. When u filled out your special needs form die they answer fairly promptly?

Thanks again.

Aren't all children gluten-free? I've never seen one come with a bun or anything. Maybe a librarian, they love buns, but never children.

;)

Thank you for saying what I was thinking!

My DD has celiac disease and has done very well cruising by using all the tips recommended above. She is thrilled with the selections and that they have BREAD!

Edited by MommaBear55

Aren't all children gluten-free? I've never seen one come with a bun or anything. Maybe a librarian, they love buns, but never children.

;)

You know this is just not funny even tho u meant it with humor ...this is how people with celiac refer to themselves. Bringing up children with Celiac is a challenge. They want to be with their friends and eat birthday cake etc. Its pitiful when they have to bring their own little cakes with them to each and every party. Let alone plan a trip with they will see mountains of food that are gorgeous and which they dare not touch..Their sad eyes are hurtful..

We recently were part of a conference for parents and caregivers for children with Down Syndrome. Many children with Down Syndrome also have Celiac Disease. They are extremely sensitive to any cross contamination. I am happy to tell you that this conference was held on the Liberty of the Seas and there were a lot of the children with Down Syndrome that accompanied their families. The Maitre'd is the one you need to speak to and he will make sure there are no incidents.

Our biggest challenge was to find a suitable shore excursion that could handle a group with so many children with disabilities that could also guarantee that a gluten free lunch could be provided shoreside. We were successful in outsourcing a private company to do this and had a wonderful time!

They never contacted me about GF before the cruise (even though I filled out the special needs form), but as soon as we got on board and went to the dining room, I mentioned it and from then on, everything was taken care of. They BAKE their own GF breads fresh every day. It is really delicious. Your kids are in for a treat!

Edited by Wheeling_family_of_3

We recently were part of a conference for parents and caregivers for children with Down Syndrome. Many children with Down Syndrome also have Celiac Disease. They are extremely sensitive to any cross contamination. I am happy to tell you that this conference was held on the Liberty of the Seas and there were a lot of the children with Down Syndrome that accompanied their families. The Maitre'd is the one you need to speak to and he will make sure there are no incidents.

Our biggest challenge was to find a suitable shore excursion that could handle a group with so many children with disabilities that could also guarantee that a gluten free lunch could be provided shoreside. We were successful in outsourcing a private company to do this and had a wonderful time!

Thank you for taking the time for this answer. Do you happen to have an email or name for the Maitre D. It also involves a child who has another severe allergy to flax. Really thank you for your letter. It has been a big help. Life is just full of challenges and it is how we meet them that makes the difference. You can private mail me if u like : themayblums@yahoo0.com

• 2 weeks later...
You know this is just not funny even tho u meant it with humor ...this is how people with celiac refer to themselves. Bringing up children with Celiac is a challenge. They want to be with their friends and eat birthday cake etc. Its pitiful when they have to bring their own little cakes with them to each and every party. Let alone plan a trip with they will see mountains of food that are gorgeous and which they dare not touch..Their sad eyes are hurtful..

The thing is... a sense of humor is a valuable thing to have. There are a lot of diseases, conditions, and illnesses that blow the doors off of Celiac. It is certainly disruptive, annoying, and a serious concern to anyone who suffers from it and it causes a lot of inconveniences/problems. However, it is not childhood leukemia, cystic fibrosis, Tay-Sachs, Progeria, or sickle cell.

It's serious, but not to the degree that someone can't make an off-hand funny comment that doesn't insult anyone who suffers from it.

Sad eyes over cake aren't fatal.

The thing is... a sense of humor is a valuable thing to have. There are a lot of diseases, conditions, and illnesses that blow the doors off of Celiac. It is certainly disruptive, annoying, and a serious concern to anyone who suffers from it and it causes a lot of inconveniences/problems. However, it is not childhood leukemia, cystic fibrosis, Tay-Sachs, Progeria, or sickle cell.

It's serious, but not to the degree that someone can't make an off-hand funny comment that doesn't insult anyone who suffers from it.

Sad eyes over cake aren't fatal.

exactly

I contacted the special needs & they explicitly told me not to try Windjammer - they can't control the passengers causing cross contamination.

Other than that they are willing to work with my dietary needs - pre-cruise. I leave on the 21st of January, so I have not come full circle yet.;)

We just got off the Oasis and traveled with someone who easts gluten-free. He told the head waiter in MDR on the 1st night and every night they brought the menu and asked him to select items for the next night to make sure it would or could be prepared gluten free. They brought him gluten free bread every night as well.

They made special pizza in Sorrentos for him and he said it was quite good. I believe they take cross contamination quite seriously as one night he was waiting for a pizza and they said it was done but they needed to clean a pizza cutter. He said it was OK to use one of the other cutters, but they siad no way they were not allowed to do anything that could possibly cross contaminate.