Just back from the Amsterdam Christmas/NYE Panama Canal cruise - review & questions

Infi

Thank you so much for your review. We were on the Noordam's first Christmas cruise and had a wonderful time. Your posting brought back fond memories from that cruise. We hope to sail over the holidays again sometime soon. We'll be on the Amsterdam this August for the 14 day Alaska and are really really looking forward to sailing on her. I've heard so many great things.

The S class ships (Statendam, Maasdam, Veendam, or Ryndam) don't have them either. PG exterior windows are only found the Vistas/Signature and the Prinsendam.

I don't think that's correct. Many evenings I sat next to an exterior window in Pinnacle Gill on Maasdam, Ryndam, and Veendam.

The S class ships (Statendam, Maasdam, Veendam, or Ryndam) don't have them either. PG exterior windows are only found the Vistas/Signature and the Prinsendam.

The Pinnacle Grills on the Statendam, Maasdam, Veendam and Ryndam do have windows where you can look out to sea or even a port sometimes.

When HAL added the Pinnacle Grill to these ships, they took out the King's Room, the Dining Room Manager's office and part of the Explorer's Lounge to make this restaurant.

Just check the deck plans and you will see that the Pinnacle Grill for these ships is on the Starboard side of the ship back near the main dining room.

What we like about these Pinnacle Grills -- there are several tables for 2 right by the windows.

We've not been on the Statendam but have been on the Maasdam, Ryndam, and Veendam...and have dined at a window table in the PG on all three.

I guess there have been changes since I sailed on S class ships. I sure don't remember them. :o
Did all of you who are continuing to correct me miss this post? :confused: :rolleyes: Bless your hearts. There obviously have been changes. When I last sailed on a S class ship, there wasn't a PG with windows.

Good "bad" point!" you are very right about FLL disembarkation. We were in one of earliest groups, since we just drive home......our porter waited in the customs line with us for about half an hour on Monday, January 6. One agent ( excuse me, they prefer to be called officer) was open for the non-US passports while 2 were screening US passport holders. Line was snaked around like a busy day at Disney. Our porter explained that since the sequester there had been staffing cutbacks in customs. Isn't that the truth, inconvenience the public in a very visible way. I felt bad because our porter had to stay in line with us, for quite a while, which cut down on the number of passengers he could help. (We ran into same staffing issues a few months ago at Pearl Harbor. Daily Tours ended early - and the uninformed tourists were turned away, including veterans, yes, because of the sequester ).....it's always an abrupt ending when leaving the " mother ship!"

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi, really disappointed that your post made reference to handicapped line as if needed, this line is essential to people that really need this. Also, handicapped is not a term that I relish to see on this forum. Please respect those that are is an disposition and may require a little help. Thank you.:confused:

Just saw this and realized we were on that cruise. Compared with HAL cruises during non-holiday times there were more kids on board--I believe I recall hearing there were about 85. They had a gift for each of them and the kids performed at least once in a program. There were other special activities for them, I think. There were a few teens on that particular cruise. Since we did not have any young people with us, we have no first hand experience in terms of how enjoyable the cruise was for them. Hope someone who had teens with them on the cruise sees this and comments.