Bay of Islands

Hi everyone, we will be in the Bay of Islands later this month on the Solstice. We do want to take a tour of the islands, maybe catamaran or sailboat. We were wandering if we wait till wwe get there are there tour operators right there at the dock where we tender to? We just want to wait and see what the weather conditions that day will be like.

Is it easy to buy a tour once we get off the tender or do we have to book in advance with tour operators or with the ship.

Thanks and Happy New Years to all!

Denis

Hi everyone, we will be in the Bay of Islands later this month on the Solstice. We do want to take a tour of the islands, maybe catamaran or sailboat. We were wandering if we wait till wwe get there are there tour operators right there at the dock where we tender to? We just want to wait and see what the weather conditions that day will be like.

Is it easy to buy a tour once we get off the tender or do we have to book in advance with tour operators or with the ship.

Denis

If you are on the Solstice, then you must be on the Jan. 20 sailing from Sydney. There is a very active roll call for that cruise, so come and join us: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1614754

I can't answer your question about available boat tours once the ship tenders, but it would be quite easy to tour the Waitangi Treaty Grounds and/or take the ferry to Russell on your own.

Denis

Denis,

We were on the Solstice this past October (2013) and had an exquisite day at Bay of Islands. If you want to sail on a catamaran or yacht there, you really must arrange for that before you arrive. The tendering operation off of the ship is interesting in that your tender puts you rather far from where you eventually want to go. The town of Pahia operates a shuttle bus, very comfortable and very easy, that will take you to Pahia and from there, as mentioned, it's very easy to get to Russell. From Russell, if available, you could sail on The Phantom which is an extraordinary day. I have (and several others) written up a trip report on trip advisor about the sailing for that day, including detailed information on the tender operation and the ferry to Russell.

However, when we disembarked from the tender, there were no available personal taxis or tour operators at the dock. Not at all like disembarking in the Caribbean! As I mentioned, the shuttle buses are very comfortable and professionally run. A lot of people just started walking once they arrived at the tender dock. Bay of Islands is exquisitely beautiful. You will enjoy your day, no doubts.

I was on the above cruise too, and as explained you are tendered to a small wharf a couple of kilometers from Pahia, and there is a local bus that shuttles you to town. Just opposite the Main Street, next to where the bus should drop you is a large pavilion which is a tourist center, where you can book lots of tours from. There was a huge amount availible, I'm not sure if there was a sailing one but there were definitely different types of boat tours. We just took the ferry over to Russel on the other side of the bay, which was lovely.

A cruiseship visit to the Bay of Islands must be a frustrating thing to do :) -- because there are basically 3 good things to do there and you have to decide which one/s to do. The first is a visit to the Waitangi Treaty grounds -- a lovely place to walk around and perfect for History buffs. The second is a ferry visit to the township of Russell -- which is similar to the first , lovely to walk around and complements the history that you will learn about at the Waitangi Treaty grounds. The third is a boat trip out to the islands in the Bay - you can do this from the town of Pahia ( where you will be taken by bus after landing by tender in the Treaty grounds.)

Personally, I think the first two things are the things to do in the Bay of Islands area. The third is something to do on the second occasion you visit :) I believe it is really important to come away with a full understanding of the Bay of Islands area history to understand the history of the entire NZ country.

Barry

Denis,

We were on the Solstice this past October (2013) and had an exquisite day at Bay of Islands. If you want to sail on a catamaran or yacht there, you really must arrange for that before you arrive. The tendering operation off of the ship is interesting in that your tender puts you rather far from where you eventually want to go. The town of Pahia operates a shuttle bus, very comfortable and very easy, that will take you to Pahia and from there, as mentioned, it's very easy to get to Russell. From Russell, if available, you could sail on The Phantom which is an extraordinary day. I have (and several others) written up a trip report on trip advisor about the sailing for that day, including detailed information on the tender operation and the ferry to Russell.

However, when we disembarked from the tender, there were no available personal taxis or tour operators at the dock. Not at all like disembarking in the Caribbean! As I mentioned, the shuttle buses are very comfortable and professionally run. A lot of people just started walking once they arrived at the tender dock. Bay of Islands is exquisitely beautiful. You will enjoy your day, no doubts.

We also sailed on the Phantom with Member123 (Hi Pam!) and all I can say is that it was a PERFECT day. Our group got to Russell early and so were able to explore this gorgeous village for an hour or so before we boarded the Phantom for a fabulous day of sailing.

Just a note about Bay of Islands...if you are planning a private tour do make sure you book in advance. The Bay has a fully set up and operational tourist structure , as it is busy with tourists all year round. When a cruise ship arrives with 2 or more thousand passengers on board the cruise lines tend to book most of them out, and many operators are only available to the ship.

As most of the above have mentioned it is best to organise in advance, when I was there it didn't have the operators waiting fo rpeople to come off the ship looking for business. The tender pier is close to the waitangi grounds and approx 2kms from Pahia, it is a comfortable walk but there are also free shuttles. There are ferries to take you across the bay to Russell as well from Pahia ( I think it was $14 return?).:D

A cruiseship visit to the Bay of Islands must be a frustrating thing to do :) -- because there are basically 3 good things to do there and you have to decide which one/s to do. The first is a visit to the Waitangi Treaty grounds -- a lovely place to walk around and perfect for History buffs. The second is a ferry visit to the township of Russell -- which is similar to the first , lovely to walk around and complements the history that you will learn about at the Waitangi Treaty grounds. The third is a boat trip out to the islands in the Bay - you can do this from the town of Pahia ( where you will be taken by bus after landing by tender in the Treaty grounds.)

Personally, I think the first two things are the things to do in the Bay of Islands area. The third is something to do on the second occasion you visit :) I believe it is really important to come away with a full understanding of the Bay of Islands area history to understand the history of the entire NZ country.

Barry

That was also my thinking. and why we will visit the Waitangi Treaty Grounds (and Kerikeri on the ship tour) plus Russell - if we have enough time for the latter.

That was also my thinking. and why we will visit the Waitangi Treaty Grounds (and Kerikeri on the ship tour) plus Russell - if we have enough time for the latter.

I guess that I should have said " modern day history of NZ"

Barry

Barry

hello Barry

All far too hard , my suggestion is to take the tender to Russell and stagger the 100 yards to the Duke of Marlbrough , there you can spend a very pleasant couple of hours on the veranda having an ale or two or even some cider and a bowl of green lipped mussels.

Then return to the ship and admire the view in the reverse directon.

I was very fortunate some years ago to sit on the bench outside one evening with Dell Gifford the lady that owned it she was a cruise ship person and had sailed on a number of ships , it was a great conversation.

Regards

John

hello Barry

All far too hard , my suggestion is to take the tender to Russell and stagger the 100 yards to the Duke of Marlbrough , there you can spend a very pleasant couple of hours on the veranda having an ale or two or even some cider and a bowl of green lipped mussels.

I was very fortunate some years ago to sit on the bench outside one evening with Dell Gifford the lady that owned it she was a cruise ship person and had sailed on a number of ships , it was a great conversation.

Regards

John

Most of the tenders go to Waitangi now. It involves a tender to Waitangi , shuttle/walk to Paihia , and then the short ferry ride to Russell .:eek:

hello Barry

Regards

John

Except the tenders do not go to Russell.:eek:

If you go to Russell, consider taking a short tour with Russell Tours. They operate a mini bus and take you to interesting places that are not within walking distance of the pier. (No I'm not on commission)

Some points about Russell:-

It was New Zealands first capital.

Used as a base during the whaling days and during those days the entire waterfront was either pubs or brothels.

The Duke of Marlborough was the first licenced hotel in NZ and still holds "Licence No 1".

A small town with a BIG atmosphere.

Enjoy.

If you go to Russell, consider taking a short tour with Russell Tours. They operate a mini bus and take you to interesting places that are not within walking distance of the pier. (No I'm not on commission)

Some points about Russell:-

It was New Zealands first capital.

Used as a base during the whaling days and during those days the entire waterfront was either pubs or brothels.

The Duke of Marlborough was the first licenced hotel in NZ and still holds "Licence No 1".

A small town with a BIG atmosphere.

Enjoy.

Yes, a very enjoyable little town.:D

Except the tenders do not go to Russell.:eek:

say its not:eek: so

One of life's little pleasures is the Duke of Marlbrough ,, Solstice is advertising a walking tour of Russell in their shorex .. so perhaps we might get lucky having visited the treaty grounds and seen the sights We just want to relax .. might just have to sit on Balcony .and drink good new zealand white wine ...

( I know its a hard life)

Best Regards

John

Edited by VK3DQ

say its not:eek: so

One of life's little pleasures is the Duke of Marlbrough ,, Solstice is advertising a walking tour of Russell in their shorex .. so perhaps we might get lucky having visited the treaty grounds and seen the sights We just want to relax .. might just have to sit on Balcony .and drink good new zealand white wine ...

( I know its a hard life)

Best Regards

John

You tender from the ship to a pier near the Hilton / Waitangi treaty grounds, then take the free shuttle into Pahia (5 mins or 20-30 min walk) and then take a ferry across to Russell (about 20 mins and around $14 from memory). :D

hello Barry

Regards

John

John

YES!! That is a very nice option too :) I would like to spend a week in that hotel .

Barry