Eastern or Western Caribbean

lbwallace83

What ports are you going to exactly? You did not make a mistake. You just need to pick what appeals to you at each place. Everybody has different opinions. We plan our days to the fullest and very carefully. I'm not one just to walk of a ship then try to figure out what to do. I made that mistake once and what a waste of the day. I research the boards, look at pictures and decide what we want. For example in Grand Cayman, my dad wasn't even planning on getting off the ship because swimming with the stingrays and snorkeling didn't sound like fun to him. It was absolutely beautiful there and we all had one of the best days ever. It isn't just about what you do, a lot of it is what it takes to get there and I think so much of the enjoyment was spending 30 minutes each way on the boat getting to where we needed to be. If you are just a hang out on the beach person you will find a fun beach at almost any port you visit. Just do the research. My advice is to not just look at the activities on the boat. I have done both boat and private excursions. With private excursions your main concern is getting back to the boat on time but I

have never felt they are less safe. I took a RCI excursion once before on my first cruise in Honduras. A cab picked up myself and two friends and drove us to the dolphin site through some of the most 3rd world areas I had ever seen. Just us and the cab driver. I can't see how that is any more safe than a private excursion. There are plenty of reputable business out there. Do the search on trip advisor and cruise critic boards.

Have a great time.

Debbie

Thanks for the positive reviews! We are going to Labadee, Falmouth, Georgetown, and Cozumel. We are thinking to taking a taxi to the Royal Palm hotel on Seven Mile Beach in Grand Cayman. The private transportation from the ship to the beach is 46.00 per person and looks like it just includes a welcome drink and a drop off and pick up on the public beach. Is the taxi to the Royal Palm a good way to go?

IMO-the port with most diverse activities is Cozumel-You can get History(Tulum)-Beaches(Nachi Cocum)-Diving/snorkeling(everywhere), shopping(so I am told), Dolphins, every motorized vehicle you can imagine and great food. The Mexican people are the most friendly, accommodating people we have met.

Take a cab or bus to Royal(cab $5-bus $2pp)-and get there early-we love it there. Food and drinks are pricey.

We snorkeled off the beach-saw humongous Lobster-Barracuda.

Edited by harry0

Thanks for the positive reviews! We are going to Labadee, Falmouth, Georgetown, and Cozumel. We are thinking to taking a taxi to the Royal Palm hotel on Seven Mile Beach in Grand Cayman. The private transportation from the ship to the beach is 46.00 per person and looks like it just includes a welcome drink and a drop off and pick up on the public beach. Is the taxi to the Royal Palm a good way to go?

Fox, there is a section on Cruise Critic specifically for Grand Cayman(or any other Port of Call). You will find a lot of information from people who have tried all sorts of places and excursions. I do ALL my port research there. Nothing like word of mouth.

Fox, there is a section on Cruise Critic specifically for Grand Cayman(or any other Port of Call). You will find a lot of information from people who have tried all sorts of places and excursions. I do ALL my port research there. Nothing like word of mouth.

I could not agree more with this. You will find an abundance of information from some very seasoned cruisers who go out of the box away from boat excursions. I'd always done excursions through the boat until my last trip. I do think the boat has its place at some ports and for some activities but for now on my first choice is always "my own way". You get more for your money and more time in your day to enjoy the port. Best advice… set your watch to boat time.

By the way in Falmouth we went with Courtney Taylor and had an awesome experience at the Blue Hole. We skipped Dunns for this. You can even have them take you to the beach you want, etc. Their prices for each excursion are lower than the ship. So many people think they can only do one thing. That day alone we went horse back riding on the beach, blue hole, drove by and saw some local schools, and ate jerk chicken with our guide. We still got back to the ship in time to spend about an hour at the port shopping. In Georgetown we swam with the stingrays and snorkeled through I want to say captain Marvin's tours? We walked off the boat, across the street, signed in and headed out. I have not been to Labadee. Cozumel has tons of options. TONS.

Debbie

Edited by debbs0723

I think the biggest difference is that Eastern has more of a Caribbean flavor. You'll here more steel drum and Caribbean music. Western has more of a Mexican flavor. Both can be great! Enjoy your cruise.

Bob, when was the last time you were there? I understand that they are working on a new road, that will be much shorter than the time it takes today, but not sure when it will be completed.

Rick

There is a new cause way bridge that will take the traffic going to and from Marigot and Grand Case from the Airport. This bridge should lighten the traffic load going through the Simpson Bay area and therefore help get folks back to the pier from Maho Beach faster.