Travel agent?

jess3620

I'm not sure where to ask this question, so I thought I would post it here since I am planning a trip to Hawaii.

I booked my cruise for Jan 2016 through NCL. My debate is if I should transfer it over to a travel agent or keep it with NCL.

Is there normally more perks through a travel agent? I have spoken to one, (she sells scenty and 31 and has done parties for my family so I know her), and she has looked into things and as of now, the prices are the same but may change later.

So, what does everyone prefer-to book with an agent or through the cruise line?

Thanks!

I've booked both ways and unless there is a financial incentive to book with a TA, I prefer to book directly. That way, I can deal directly with the cruise line for any changes, questions, bookings, etc. If you cancel before the final payment date - is there a cancellation fee & how much with the cruise line vs. the TA? If the price of your cruise does go down, will the cruise line honor it - if so, you can call them to take care of it if you've booked with them. I would monitor the prices regardless of who I book with and notify them when I see a drop.

If your TA friend hasn't offered an incentive or perk now for booking through her, I wouldn't expect it to happen between now and the cruise. She might do something for you - i.e. a gift on board as a surprise, but maybe not.

Edited by Susan-M

I've booked both ways and unless there is a financial incentive to book with a TA, I prefer to book directly. That way, I can deal directly with the cruise line for any changes, questions, bookings, etc. If you cancel before the final payment date - is there a cancellation fee & how much with the cruise line vs. the TA? If the price of your cruise does go down, will the cruise line honor it - if so, you can call them to take care of it if you've booked with them. I would monitor the prices regardless of who I book with and notify them when I see a drop.

If your TA friend hasn't offered an incentive or perk now for booking through her, I wouldn't expect it to happen between now and the cruise. She might do something for you - i.e. a gift on board as a surprise, but maybe not.

Thank you for your reply! I sent her a message this morning asking a few more questions, but I am leaning towards keeping my booking through the cruise line. I am having a really hard time wanting to let go of the booking. I booked my last cruise (it was my also my first cruise-we went to Alaska) through a travel agent and she seemed to leave out a lot of information that would have been helpful (the person who I am considering booking with this time is not the same person).

I want to be in complete control of this vacation, but I also want to get the best deal I can! Hawaii seems like it's going to cost an arm and a leg :D

You just have to do the research. We have always been able to get a better price for cruises through our TA. But we book a lot of other trips on our own. Remember, the TA does the shopping work for you frequently. If you don't use a TA, the cruise line isn't necessarily going to shop for the lowest price. So you need to be smart and do the research.

Personally, I haven't used an agent in years. They can certainly be helpful if you lack information - or the time/energy to get it for yourself. First off, I book my own air so I don't have to pay an agent fee. Most of the time, agents will not beat the cruise lines' fares. They might throw you an on board token, as previously mentioned. Don't think the cruise line will do that (not when I booked directly with NCL or Royal Carrib.

But shopping can pay off. Some online agents do cut prices. Best available deal for my last two bookings (including NCL POA this July) came from SmartCrusier.com.

Personally, I haven't used an agent in years. They can certainly be helpful if you lack information - or the time/energy to get it for yourself. First off, I book my own air so I don't have to pay an agent fee. Most of the time, agents will not beat the cruise lines' fares. They might throw you an on board token, as previously mentioned. Don't think the cruise line will do that (not when I booked directly with NCL or Royal Carrib.

But shopping can pay off. Some online agents do cut prices. Best available deal for my last two bookings (including NCL POA this July) came from SmartCrusier.com.

First of all, we are not allowed to mention Travel Agents by name on Cruise Critic.

Second, I think it is extremely hard to say most TAs won't discount below cruise line price, as I don't know how you can say "most". Every one of our cruises has been discounted by our TA, as much as 15%. But we have only been on 16 cruises....

Your corner Travel agent may not be able to offer anything. Find the big "discount cruise agencies" They can offer OBC for a transfer to them. But you need to ask. I just booked NCL Alaska week inside and got $250 OBC per cabin.

Thank you all for your responses!

I spoke with the travel agent a few times in the past couple days. Because the cruise is still a ways way (Jan 2016) they are not offering any specials. She said once specials become available then she can apply them then.

She said the sales rep may also be able to get some extra goodies but she cannot tell me what they would be, as she does not know at this point.

I may transfer my booking to her, and then just plan the rest of the vacation myself. I have done months of research already, and I still have more research I would like to do. I guess it doesn't matter where I book the cruise through, I can still plan the rest myself :)