Best Way to Upgrade to Premium Drink Package?

Boiler Fan

We selected the free beverage package when we booked our February 2014 cruise last spring. I called to upgrade to the Premium Package last April and was told that it would show up on our reservation a few weeks later and we could pay for it then. However, it took about 6 months for it to show up and then it was not billed to our reservation, so we had no way to pay for it. That being said, we still want to upgrade - can we wait and do it onboard, or is there some better way? How difficult is it to do onboard? Thanks for any advice. :)

That's strange.

We just booked our cruise in December (also a Feb. sailing) and got the Classic drink package for free. I called a few days later and upgraded one of us to the Premium package. It was billed right away and showed up on my reservation the next day.

I am now probably going to upgrade the 2nd passenger (after doing a bunch of research) and I plan to just call again.

You might want to just call again and talk to someone.

Call X and you can upgrade thru them. If you have SBC wait until you get on board so you can use that.

My TA told me that it will not be added to your reservation bill becasue it is seperate. You can be denied boarding if your cruise is not paid in full but you cannot be denied for not paying for a drink package, tour and etc. That is why it will not be included in your total cruise booking.

.💨🍸🍻

It's simple to upgrade once onboard.

There will be tables set up for passengers who want to buy any type of beverage packages, so you can do it there, but the easiest thing to do is just go to any bar and tell them you would like to upgrade.

The bartender takes care of it right there, you sign a receipt and he puts a sticker on your seapass card.

p.s. We thought we had done the upgrade over the phone with our Celebrity planner prior to leaving on our June cruise. For some reason, it never went through and we werent billed for it. At check-in we asked if it stated that we upgraded, they said no, just do it once onboard. we did and it was paid for out of OBC that we had.

Thanks, everyone for the helpful replies. I called the Captains Club and the rep was super nice and took care of upgrading to the Premium Package with no trouble. It has already shown up on my reservation and I have also received a confirmation email. Can't wait to get aboard! (I am watching yet another snowfall out my window - at least we got above 0 today. We will be very happy to get to the sunny Caribbean! :)

We selected the free beverage package when we booked our February 2014 cruise last spring. I called to upgrade to the Premium Package last April and was told that it would show up on our reservation a few weeks later and we could pay for it then. However, it took about 6 months for it to show up and then it was not billed to our reservation, so we had no way to pay for it. That being said, we still want to upgrade - can we wait and do it onboard, or is there some better way? How difficult is it to do onboard? Thanks for any advice. :)

I did the upgrade by phone with Celebrity. I had to pay at the time of upgrade. Not a big deal, but if you want to use obc, you will have to wait. I think the price is higher if upgraded onboard. Check the message from Host Andy for details. Cheers!

As already mentioned, either call X and upgrade or wait until on board, either way it is fairly simple. The advantage of waiting til on board is that you can drink for a day or so and see if you actually want it and if you do you can use any OBC etc.:D

Don't know who your TA is but that's not true. Our TA upgraded us immediately after we told her we wanted the premium package. It showed up on our invoice immediately.

Now it's paid for and we can sail in April with no worries.

Pat C

I did the upgrade by phone with Celebrity. I had to pay at the time of upgrade. Not a big deal, but if you want to use obc, you will have to wait. I think the price is higher if upgraded onboard. Check the message from Host Andy for details. Cheers!

Same price to upgrade onboard or before (11.5). Cost of the packages if purchased outright (not upgrade, but buying the package for the first time) IS higher onboard.

Thanks to the helpful CCers who answered that question for me when I posed it. :D

Same price to upgrade onboard or before (11.5). Cost of the packages if purchased outright (not upgrade, but buying the package for the first time) IS higher onboard.

Thanks to the helpful CCers who answered that question for me when I posed it. :D

That is what we are here for. Enjoy.:D

Confused....

Why did you wait this long if you upgraded last April?

It should have been charged to your charge card immediately.....:rolleyes:

We sailed on Eclipse last March. 14 day Southern Caribe. Got the basic drink package as part of the promotion. Was told by Celebrity to upgrade on board. Before we even left FLL I bought a beer at a bar and told the bartender I wanted to upgrade which he did.

Two problems.

1. He messed something up in the process and I had to chase the head bartender around several times during the cruise to get it straightened out.

2. When you upgrade in advance your cruise card is imprinted with the correct codes for the upgraded drink package. The bartenders look at it and you are drinkin' in a heartbeat. When you upgrade on board they put a sticker over the old code that is supposed to tell the bartenders that you have upgraded. The problem is the first time you jump in the pool the sticker starts to fade off and you've got everyone trying to decipher what's left. Not the end of the world but certainly a pain in the a$$$!

This year I upgraded immediately to avoid any delay in the liquid sunshine. BTW, I figured I hit them for about $1200 over a 2 week cruise last March. So there is never a question with me whether I take the tips, OBC or Drink pkg.

Is it necessary to upgrade if you just like beer and wine and nothing fancy? We think it is such a great perk just the way it is or am I missing something? The drink package was the deciding factor between Princess and Celebrity.

The classic is fine, it is only worth upgrading if the drinks you want are not in the classic package. Even if the drinks are not in the Premium package, you will only pay the difference rather than the full amount. Molecular bar drinks are not in the classic, with the premium you will only need to pay a few dollars more if any.:D