My 8 Day Semi Cruise from hell aboard the Carnival Breeze 10/26/13 - 11/4/13

Leo's Rule

Leo and Vince Please tell me what you think called your illness. If you think it was something you ate I really want to avoid it. I suffer from panic attacks and having a stomach virus always sets one off. Luckily I have really learned how to handle my anxiety issues but an upset stomach is still one beyond my control.:(

Leo I hope its not a gallbladder please come back and let us know how your doing.

Also have to tell you how nice you and your Mom look. That dress you wore on embarkation day looked great.

Thanks for the compliment. Starting the next segment of the review.

Your doggy is adorable. Loving your review so far. Sorry to read about your getting sick. We are sailing the Breeze again this August and plan to stay at Hampton Brickell again (we stayed there prior to our Breeze cruise last year)....Ummm, I want to know the rates you got for the Hampton...I promise not to hate :D

Thanks. My baby is adorable to me too. :D

"I had an ultrasound done."

Good..that's what I meant...take care and enjoying the review...thanks for doing it..you and your mom are gorgeous...Sarah

Thanks

]

The general consensus from our family and other cruisers that the potatoe soup got us. We even talked to a family at the air port and the ones that got sick had the soup too.....

I'm glad you all recovered, but sorry you went through it.

Thanks for taking the time to do this review. Cruising on the Breeze in June and can't wait! Sorry to hear about you being so sick! Hopefully it wasnt anything major.

More is coming.

A review? I think this is a mini series... I know what she had for breakfast the day of the cruise...I don't know what I had on mine and that was last monday.

Lol. I give thorough reviews. You can stoo reading if you like...there will he more of it. :p:rolleyes:

Can't finish this mini-series. Leaving tomorrow for a B2B. Hope everyone has recovered from whatever it was.

Sorry I'm taking long. Have fun on your cruise.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Forums mobile app

Fun Day At Sea

Did you skip part of the end of the previous day or did you read it? (Guess I shouldn't have typed this part considering I know you've read it. This part was originally supposed to be posted on the 13th, but CC crashed and I was sleepy).

I didn't get up until 10:30 am and I don't feel so well, but I feel better than yesterday. Mom and I headed to Lido for breakfast; I didn't really eat. We then headed to guest services to tell of my experience from last night. I wanted to know if anyone else reported getting sick after eating at the Mongolian Wok.

No one reported being sick and because I questioned it so, someone from Food Services was sent to talk to me. He assured me that the food was safe and they go through vigorous inspections and he suggested I see the medical team if I felt bad. Since I was no longer throwing up I thought all was well with me. But it did hurt for me to walk.

I believe we went to the Lido deck after the visit at guest services. While resting, the Hairy Chest Contest began and this guy made sure he was selected when they were looking for contestants:

1607112_10200618960790997_629315017_n.jpg

After the contest I'm sure my mom grabbed something to eat, but we headed back to the room so i could rest.

I could tell I was getting sleepy, so I set my alarm for 4:00 pm so I wouldn't miss the paid M&G. 4:00 arrived fast to me. I get up, brush my teeth, and push myself to go to the party. The M&G was nice. I recall taking one of the pre-made drinks and it was gross. I asked the bartender if I could order something other than what was on the tray and he told me no. I would learn after the cruise that he was just a butt because everyone else was ordering what they wanted. But it turns out to be a blessing in disguise; the sip from that awful drink upset my stomach.

We played a game where we had to guess who made certain statements; it was a way for us to mingle with everyone and ask them questions. I won my very own SOAS.

1510708_10200618961471014_385380734_n.jpg

At some point we took a group photo and then I headed back to the room to rest.

1511114_10200618961871024_1829619499_n.jpg

Eventually mom and I got dressed and headed to dinner; this was the 1st elegant night. I normally order the lobster; which I did, but the smell of the food made me nauseous. I gave my lobster to my tablemate who turned out to be a guy from the M&G. I stayed long enough for the waiters to sing Happy Birthday to my mom. Someone at the table thought I may have been seasick and suggested I buy the oil you place behind your ears. I purchased a bottle for $16 before heading back to the room and it didn't work.

1536733_10200629983786565_1873760130_n.jpg

1511238_10200629983866567_2002913578_n.jpg

1520782_10200618961711020_1511420951_n.jpg

I put on my pjs and closed my eyes. Sometime during the night I felt like I was dying. I went to the infirmary and had to get an injection in my butt and was given pills to take for the nausea. I believe I returned to my cabin at 4 or 5 am!

Grand Turk

This day is really a blur. I have no idea what time I got up, but I wasn't feeling well. Is this the face of someone who's at a 100%?

1604953_10200619015272359_213035568_n.jpg

No, it's not. I honestly think all I did was sleep and drink water. The medication kept me sleepy. The one thing I do remember is going back to the infirmary and getting another shot, but this time they also ran tests to find out what was wrong with me. I can't remember the name of the nurse who had to draw my blood, but I told him that he needed a butterfly needle because my veins were small and they rolled.

He argued with me stating he didn't need to use a butterfly. I refused to let him touch me and finally my mother told him to get the proper needed; he gave in, but did he have to huff as if annoyed before getting the needle?

I hate needles and didn't want him to stick me, but my mom held my hand. He hurt me so bad and after he failed on two tries, I refused to let him stick me again. I honestly think he was new because he was so nervous. You all don't really understand my fear of needles; it was so bad that I started saying I was no longer sick and wanted to go back to my room. My mother had to hold me.

I think by this time my mother was scared and she was crying because she didn't know what was wrong with me. Finally they sent the cutie, Sergio, to draw my blood; he got it on the first attempt and didn't hurt me. Unfortunately he had to come back because my blood was coagulated. :(

After being a stick cushion, they ran several tests and ruled out liver and pancreas problems, but since they found nothing, they just figured I had norovirus. I was sent back to my room via a wheelchair and my parting gift was a lovely $400 doctor bill. :eek: Thank God I had insurance; not Carnival's, so I had to pay the fee, but I was reimbursed once I filed a claim.

I woke up in the middle of the night to empty my bladder and saw an envelope had been slid under the door; I was quarantined for 24 hours! :eek:

Up next; La Romana, Dominican Republic

im always intrigued when someones title is Cruise from Hell... so i must keep reading.. initially thinking it was stupid over reaction problems like cold soup or noisy neighbors.. clearly your issues are much more different. and rational... ill keep reading .

I'm loving the pictures! And I appreciate the thorough review with the good and bad, thank you :).

I do have a question though that might seem rude but that is not my intent at all. Since you felt so bad and had no idea what was wrong, why would you go to the M&G and dinner in the dining room potentially exposing others? Since you didn't know what it was at that time, you had no idea if you were contagious. Again, I don't mean this to be rude I'm just wondering if you thought about that possibility.

I cruise on Monday and got my flu shot last week even though I've never gotten one before. But I know that some people (not all) aren't concerned about exposing others and may sail even though they are sick.

I'm loving the pictures! And I appreciate the thorough review with the good and bad, thank you :).

I do have a question though that might seem rude but that is not my intent at all. Since you felt so bad and had no idea what was wrong, why would you go to the M&G and dinner in the dining room potentially exposing others? Since you didn't know what it was at that time, you had no idea if you were contagious. Again, I don't mean this to be rude I'm just wondering if you thought about that possibility.

I cruise on Monday and got my flu shot last week even though I've never gotten one before. But I know that some people (not all) aren't concerned about exposing others and may sail even though they are sick.

The same thing occurred to me. So sorry you got sick but a quarantine was definitely in order. It's terrible to get sick on vacation.

Awaiting the rest of your review, hope you get better.

Normally I would agree with you but honestly nothing she describes with the exception of the physically getting sick is consistent with NORO

You are absolutely right but...... I bet you she thought it was either what she had eaten or sea sickness. Most people do not intentionally expose people, did you know that in most instances you are contagious 2 days before you ever show symptoms. Unless it is/was food poisoning. I feel so sorry for her. I know that I would have gone against common sense and went about doing what I had planned.

Really enjoying your review so far, thank you for sharing! So sorry you were taken ill, but at least you didn't miss what obviously must have been the highlight of the week - the hair bikini top, which I will graciously dub the "mankini"! :D

Looking forward to seeing how the rest of your week goes - hopefully it starts looking up!

Normally I would agree with you but honestly nothing she describes with the exception of the physically getting sick is consistent with NORO

I guess I'm just more cautious when I'm not sure what's wrong. :confused:

You are absolutely right but...... I bet you she thought it was either what she had eaten or sea sickness. Most people do not intentionally expose people, did you know that in most instances you are contagious 2 days before you ever show symptoms. Unless it is/was food poisoning. I feel so sorry for her. I know that I would have gone against common sense and went about doing what I had planned.

I'm not a doctor but I do know that. I also feel really bad for her, she looks miserable :confused:. As I said, I wasn't trying to be rude, just wondered if the thought ever crossed her mind. I would hope that I would think of others if this happened to me, but as you said, I may have went against common sense also.

I guess I'm just more cautious when I'm not sure what's wrong. :confused:

I'm not a doctor but I do know that. I also feel really bad for her, she looks miserable :confused:. As I said, I wasn't trying to be rude, just wondered if the thought ever crossed her mind. I would hope that I would think of others if this happened to me, but as you said, I may have went against common sense also.

It is going to come across as rude to some people but like I said you are right in your thinking! My definition of rude is ordering a DOD for yourself and not ordering me one too!!!!

food poisoning usually happens 48-72 hrs BEFORE the vomitting

so its likely she ate something PRIOR to stepping foot on the ship

Usually'(?) but not necessarily. I think 12-18 hrs sounds a bit more right. Speaking from experience by the way. :eek: 72 hours? Let's just say by the that time, elvis has already left the building... :confused:

But still could have been prior to boarding the ship, I suppose. Didn't she only have a muffin or something for breakfast though? Yes here it is:

Embarkation Day

We're up and at 'em. I had a banana nut muffin for breakfast; my mother rarely eats breakfast, so she skipped it.

I hate to say it, but the WOK is still suspicious to me. But that could be because I felt like I had borderline food poisoning after my 3rd day at Tandoor...that was an 'interesting' night...

Edited by TwinPrincessMermaids

thanks for posting all the pictures! I have not been on the Breeze yet but it looks like a nice ship!

You and your mom look like you could be sisters, you must hear that all the time.

Sorry you got so sick, I am anxiously awaiting the next installment so I can hear how that turned out.

Ignore smarta$$ comments about this being a mini-series...I don't understand why people have to make smarty remarks if a review bugs 'em. Just don't read it! :rolleyes:

WOW, this thread has more online doctors than WebMD...:rolleyes:

To the OP: I'm sorry you got sick on your cruise, that really sucks. Hopefully next time you'll be 100% healthy. Thank you for taking the time to post your review and pictures. :)

Edited by YankeeFan4Ever

im always intrigued when someones title is Cruise from Hell... so i must keep reading.. initially thinking it was stupid over reaction problems like cold soup or noisy neighbors.. clearly your issues are much more different. and rational... ill keep reading .

I guess those posts do exist. If the food was bad, but everything else was good, I wouldn't call it a cruise from Hell. Lol. But thank you for continued reading. :)

Your question is valid. I didn't think I was contagious because my mom and I were in the same sleeping quarters and she never became ill.

I'm sure I will get flamed for this, bit I am one who will go to work, but I stay closed in my office. If it's bad I will work from home if I feel like sitting up.

I hate being down and out, per se, and I will push myself. If I ever call in sick from work...I reallllly feel bad.

My mom normally says I don't let the scab heal before I'm up moving around again.

I no longer get flu shots; I get sick every time!

Wow! I am so sorry to read all that happened to you one your cruise! I'm hoping for a better ending to what you've had to write already!

It does get better, that's why it was my semi cruise from Hell. :p. All wasn't bad.

But I wouldn't wish what I went through on my worst enemy.

The same thing occurred to me. So sorry you got sick but a quarantine was definitely in order. It's terrible to get sick on vacation.

Awaiting the rest of your review, hope you get better.

Looking back at it, yes, a quarantine was in order. They had no clue what was wrong with me and they didn't want to risk me exposing others to an unknown virus. And I do get better. :)

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Forums mobile app