My 8 Day Semi Cruise from hell aboard the Carnival Breeze 10/26/13 - 11/4/13

Leo's Rule

Loving your review :) We will be on the Breeze next month, I can barely stand the wait! I am sorry you were so ill, I know what it's like to be sick on vacation it can be frightening. I once got sick on vacation and spent the better part of 6 days laying on the bathroom floor in my hotel room before I finally stopped fighting it, gave in and went to the hospital. I was put on IV and some pretty good meds. You poor thing, I hope you're feeling 100% now!

Looking forward to the rest of your story :)

Your question is valid. I didn't think I was contagious because my mom and I were in the same sleeping quarters and she never became ill.

I'm sure I will get flamed for this' date=' bit I am one who will go to work, but I stay closed in my office. If it's bad I will work from home if I feel like sitting up.

I hate being down and out, per se, and I will push myself. If I ever call in sick from work...I reallllly feel bad.

My mom normally says I don't let the scab heal before I'm up moving around again.

I no longer get flu shots; I get sick every time!

[/quote']

Well I'm glad you're better and I'm enjoying your review :).

Uggg... I hope not! But it sounds a whole lot like what I went through with it... even had to cancel a cruise the morning of sailing to get the stupid thing taken out that week.

Poor baby. You had to cancel your cruise? I don't know which is worse; cancelling the cruise or being sick as a dog on one?

You are absolutely right but...... I bet you she thought it was either what she had eaten or sea sickness. Most people do not intentionally expose people, did you know that in most instances you are contagious 2 days before you ever show symptoms. Unless it is/was food poisoning. I feel so sorry for her. I know that I would have gone against common sense and went about doing what I had planned.

Thank you. That's exactly it; I truly thought I had food poisoning.

Really enjoying your review so far, thank you for sharing! So sorry you were taken ill, but at least you didn't miss what obviously must have been the highlight of the week - the hair bikini top, which I will graciously dub the "mankini"! :D

Looking forward to seeing how the rest of your week goes - hopefully it starts looking up!

Lol...I could have done without the mankini.

I guess I'm just more cautious when I'm not sure what's wrong. :confused:

I'm not a doctor but I do know that. I also feel really bad for her, she looks miserable :confused:. As I said, I wasn't trying to be rude, just wondered if the thought ever crossed her mind. I would hope that I would think of others if this happened to me, but as you said, I may have went against common sense also.

Lol. I push through my pain...so if you didn't see it on my face...I was in it.

What would the blood drawn have shown? Still sounds like food poisoning! "We promise our food is safe." So does everyone! :mad:

The blood work was to find out how my liver and pancreas were functioning...at least that's what they said.

But still could have been prior to boarding the ship, I suppose. Didn't she only have a muffin or something for breakfast though? Yes here it is:

I hate to say it, but the WOK is still suspicious to me. But that could be because I felt like I had borderline food poisoning after my 3rd day at Tandoor...that was an 'interesting' night...

You're right...just a muffin and then the Wok. I'll probably never eat the Wok again. It's in my brain now.

thanks for posting all the pictures! I have not been on the Breeze yet but it looks like a nice ship!

You and your mom look like you could be sisters, you must hear that all the time.

Sorry you got so sick, I am anxiously awaiting the next installment so I can hear how that turned out.

Ignore smarta$$ comments about this being a mini-series...I don't understand why people have to make smarty remarks if a review bugs 'em. Just don't read it! :rolleyes:

Yes, I hear that all the time. I took a break from writing my next installment. ..I'll get to it again. I do plan on tyoing more tonight.

I've ignored them. I just laugh. Some people don't like the lengthy reviews; I do.

Yikes my husband and I just recently got over being sick DAYS before our upcoming cruise this Sunday. We felt so lucky it wasn't DURING our cruise. What a waste. So sorry about your experience!

Yes, lucky you.

WOW, this thread has more online doctors than WebMD...:rolleyes:

To the OP: I'm sorry you got sick on your cruise, that really sucks. Hopefully next time you'll be 100% healthy. Thank you for taking the time to post your review and pictures.

Lol at the WebMD comment. Yes, it sucked being sick, but I'm better now. You're welcome. I should be back tonight with more.

Thank you for the review. Really appreciate it. We cruise the Sunshine in May for our first Carnival cruise!

SO sorry you got sick!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have fun! I'll be on the Sunshine next month.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Forums mobile app

What would the blood drawn have shown? Still sounds like food poisoning! "We promise our food is safe." So does everyone! :mad:

If she had a high white cell blood count it would be cause from some type of infection.

Edited by lady_cruiser

I always avoid the Wok. The raw meat was in high room temperature who knows how long. And I really doubt the cooking time is long enough to kill the bugs.

Never thought of that, will skip it in the future. Its not such a treat (can go get stir-fry locally) that I'm willing to be sick on vacation.

Would love to hear Leo say what they finally diagnosed her with.

Never thought of that, will skip it in the future. Its not such a treat (can go get stir-fry locally) that I'm willing to be sick on vacation.

Would love to hear Leo say what they finally diagnosed her with.

The crew never did...I don't learn what's wrong with me until I meet with my Dr.

The crew never did...I don't learn what's wrong with me until I meet with my Dr.

So, you are still ill? I'm enjoying your review very much, you are very funny. One thing I wouldn't do on a cruise is to go to the infirmary unless I was dying. It's no fun being quarantined to your cabin and if they catch you leaving the cabin they put you off the ship. Luckily the only thing we had to go to the infirmary for was DH's ear ache. They hooked him up with some antibiotics and told him he couldn't drink alcohol.

So, you are still ill? I'm enjoying your review very much, you are very funny. One thing I wouldn't do on a cruise is to go to the infirmary unless I was dying. It's no fun being quarantined to your cabin and if they catch you leaving the cabin they put you off the ship. Luckily the only thing we had to go to the infirmary for was DH's ear ache. They hooked him up with some antibiotics and told him he couldn't drink alcohol.

I went to the ship's infirmary last week on the Conquest. Was diagnosed with food poisoning. They told me to stay in my room (I was in no shape to go anywhere anyway). Never was I told I would be booted off the ship for noncompliance. In fact, they wouldn't let me off the ship for 24 hours after my last "episode". When the nurse called me the next day and said I could go ashore, I did. My S&S Card dinged a different ding due to the hold. I told the security guy that I had been released (the computer wasn't updated yet). They called the nurse and she said yes I was and off they let me.

I was expecting doom and gloom as I heard per these boards. Like a security guard camped outside of my door or something. None of that happened and no one would have been the wiser if I had in fact roamed the ship. Not that I would.

I'm glad I went. They gave me Zofran sublingual which instantaneously got rid of my nausea, Immodium which I didn't use, and a bottle of Pepto Bismol. Half of which I used. And it was all free of charge. Of course I had travel insurance, so I wasn't worried about the bill as I knew I would be reimbursed.

FYI - Nurse consult is $95

Dr consult $125

After hours pharmacy $50

That's all I remember from staring at the sign directly in front of me until I was seen. Oh, and the nurse told me an IV would be $200 should I need one.

If you're sick - get seen. There's no reason not to unless you intend to break the rules. In that case, you have bigger issues than vomiting and diarrhea.

My fiancé got sick on our Carnival Fantasy cruise. He was so sick they had to send a wheelchair for me to wheel him down to the infirmary. We went close to midnight, they gave him the shot and some Imodium. We don't have to pay one cent.

He was put on 24 hour lockdown which turned into 48 because he was still sick after 24 and they didn't release him. Ruined our cruise but what can you do?

He got the special naughty ding an disembarkation day. I guess they don't report it to the system when he finally did get cleared.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

All, I planned to do more of ny review tonight, but I came home to no phone service or Internet....and I refuse to type it all from my phone. :thumbdown: If my connection speed in the house speeds up, I'll connect to my phone's data; otherwise, it will be Saturday evening before I return. I have plans tomorrow night and Saturday day.

@firemanbobswife: One Carnival cruise we were on, one of our tablemates had the norovirus - vomiting, etc. She went to the ships store to get some medicine for it but they didn't carry it. So, she went to the infirmary to get something for her DH and a nurse accompanied her to their cabin. The nurse gave him a shot and some meds. Security brought a letter back to their room quarantining her husband to the cabin for 48 hours. In the letter it stated that he was not to leave the cabin and that security would be by to check on him, and he had better be in the cabin or they would be put them off at the next port. She showed me the letter. On another cruise a woman and her 3 children were quarantined and were told the same thing. I think they take the noro virus very seriously, they don't need any more bad publicity.

I went to the ship's infirmary last week on the Conquest. Was diagnosed with food poisoning. They told me to stay in my room (I was in no shape to go anywhere anyway). Never was I told I would be booted off the ship for noncompliance. In fact, they wouldn't let me off the ship for 24 hours after my last "episode". When the nurse called me the next day and said I could go ashore, I did. My S&S Card dinged a different ding due to the hold. I told the security guy that I had been released (the computer wasn't updated yet). They called the nurse and she said yes I was and off they let me.

I was expecting doom and gloom as I heard per these boards. Like a security guard camped outside of my door or something. None of that happened and no one would have been the wiser if I had in fact roamed the ship. Not that I would.

I'm glad I went. They gave me Zofran sublingual which instantaneously got rid of my nausea, Immodium which I didn't use, and a bottle of Pepto Bismol. Half of which I used. And it was all free of charge. Of course I had travel insurance, so I wasn't worried about the bill as I knew I would be reimbursed.

FYI - Nurse consult is $95

Dr consult $125

After hours pharmacy $50

That's all I remember from staring at the sign directly in front of me until I was seen. Oh, and the nurse told me an IV would be $200 should I need one.

If you're sick - get seen. There's no reason not to unless you intend to break the rules. In that case, you have bigger issues than vomiting and diarrhea.

You just answered everything I could think of. Thanks!

@firemanbobswife: One Carnival cruise we were on, one of our tablemates had the norovirus - vomiting, etc. She went to the ships store to get some medicine for it but they didn't carry it. So, she went to the infirmary to get something for her DH and a nurse accompanied her to their cabin. The nurse gave him a shot and some meds. Security brought a letter back to their room quarantining her husband to the cabin for 48 hours. In the letter it stated that he was not to leave the cabin and that security would be by to check on him, and he had better be in the cabin or they would be put them off at the next port. She showed me the letter. On another cruise a woman and her 3 children were quarantined and were told the same thing. I think they take the noro virus very seriously, they don't need any more bad publicity.

Sounds like they were under more strict quarantine than I was due to the diagnosis - Noro vs food poisoning. As they should be. However, I feel that the letter was probably mostly for show. You know - like the ones that tell you not to get to the port early. The nurse told me that the ports will not accept anyone that is sick with GI symptoms and, therefore, you won't be let off (true emergency excepted). Now could they put you off at the next port when you are released? I'm sure that's possible.

Anyway, I just wanted to let people know that it's nowhere near as bad as what some make it out to be. No biohazard signs posted on your door, or people walking around in hazmat suits. No stamp on your forehead letting people know you are sick. If you are feeling ill, go to the infirmary. The first visit is free and you will feel so much better. If you are sick, and are told to stay in your room, then do it. It's no big deal because chances are you won't want to be anywhere but your bed and/or the bathroom anyway. And you should not be out contaminating surfaces and other people.

If people don't report noro/food poisoning, then there's no way to track the trends that may be occurring on a particular cruise line or ship. And I think that if there is a pattern, then changes need to be made. Nothing will happen if everyone that feels ill is petrified to get seen. It's not scary and you will be glad you did!

Hubby was quarantined on a cruise in Sept but I wasn't .. . so what is that about . . . anything he ordered came with a XXX red bag . . . saying not to be touched . . . but I never got sick . . . He got injection and meds for free . . . I spent two days on my own . . . . he WAS really sick . . . was thankful for bananas and tea!!!

Hubby was quarantined on a cruise in Sept but I wasn't .. . so what is that about . . . anything he ordered came with a XXX red bag . . . saying not to be touched . . . but I never got sick . . . He got injection and meds for free . . . I spent two days on my own . . . . he WAS really sick . . . was thankful for bananas and tea!!!

Was he able to order only room service or would they allow a MDR meal to be delivered?