My 8 Day Semi Cruise from hell aboard the Carnival Breeze 10/26/13 - 11/4/13

Leo's Rule

WOW, this thread has more online doctors than WebMD...:rolleyes:

To the OP: I'm sorry you got sick on your cruise, that really sucks. Hopefully next time you'll be 100% healthy. Thank you for taking the time to post your review and pictures. :)

And this review has more drama than an episode of Grey's Anatomy!! Lol. Really?!?

Was he able to order only room service or would they allow a MDR meal to be delivered?

I don't know the answer to that one, but having had noro once (thankfully at home and not on a cruise!) I can't imagine wanting anything from the MDR. For 24-48 hours you really can't eat at all. Even after that, it took another few days to want anything other than toast, jello, or crackers.

Poor baby. You had to cancel your cruise? I don't know which is worse; cancelling the cruise or being sick as a dog on one?

Yes, after a week or so of feeling terrible and several ER visits, we finally made the decision the morning of sailing to cancel. It was a horrible decision to have to make. But I was way too sick. In my situation, it turned out to be the right call. My cruise was scheduled to leave on a Sunday and they scheduled surgery for the following Thursday. In the days between my gallbladder became infected. Had I not cancelled I'd have more than likely been in a medical emergency/airlift situation from the ship. We were able to take another cruise a few months later when I was feeling much better!

With all that said, I very much hope YOU are better now from whatever it was that caused you to feel so bad!

I went to the ship's infirmary last week on the Conquest. Was diagnosed with food poisoning. They told me to stay in my room (I was in no shape to go anywhere anyway). Never was I told I would be booted off the ship for noncompliance. In fact, they wouldn't let me off the ship for 24 hours after my last "episode". When the nurse called me the next day and said I could go ashore, I did. My S&S Card dinged a different ding due to the hold. I told the security guy that I had been released (the computer wasn't updated yet). They called the nurse and she said yes I was and off they let me.

I was expecting doom and gloom as I heard per these boards. Like a security guard camped outside of my door or something. None of that happened and no one would have been the wiser if I had in fact roamed the ship. Not that I would.

I'm glad I went. They gave me Zofran sublingual which instantaneously got rid of my nausea, Immodium which I didn't use, and a bottle of Pepto Bismol. Half of which I used. And it was all free of charge. Of course I had travel insurance, so I wasn't worried about the bill as I knew I would be reimbursed.

FYI - Nurse consult is $95

Dr consult $125

After hours pharmacy $50

That's all I remember from staring at the sign directly in front of me until I was seen. Oh, and the nurse told me an IV would be $200 should I need one.

If you're sick - get seen. There's no reason not to unless you intend to break the rules. In that case, you have bigger issues than vomiting and diarrhea.

What a bummer! Did you figure out where the food poisoning came from?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app

Leo's Rule - I was very surprised to see you are a gal. I assumed you were a guy - Leo.

Now realize that Leo is your sign.

Also glad to see that the title of your thread had to do with you being ill (so sorry for that) rather than a cruise on Breeze. We're thinking of doing a B2B on Breeze next January.

Edited by Sparky2

Leo's Rule - I was very surprised to see you are a gal. I assumed you were a guy - Leo.

Also glad to see that the title of your thread had to do with you being ill (so sorry for that) rather than a cruise on Breeze. We're thinking of doing a B2B on Breeze next January.

Reading some of your comments and I'm laughing. TMobile's service in my house is spotty; my phone automatically goes to WiFi in the house so I don't miss calls and can get on the Internet, but shockingly, I have 4G in some areas of my house, but 1 darn bar!!!!

Anyhow, I'm going to take my laptop to work and try and get some more of the review done. And respond to you guys.

Enjoy your day and have a great weekend!

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Forums mobile app

Loving your review :) We will be on the Breeze next month, I can barely stand the wait! I am sorry you were so ill, I know what it's like to be sick on vacation it can be frightening. I once got sick on vacation and spent the better part of 6 days laying on the bathroom floor in my hotel room before I finally stopped fighting it, gave in and went to the hospital. I was put on IV and some pretty good meds. You poor thing, I hope you're feeling 100% now!

Looking forward to the rest of your story :)

Ooh...I don't know if I could have lasted 6 days. I would've gone around day 2 or 3 to find out what was wrong with me. And depending on how bad it was, I would've gone day 1. And before you ask why I didn't go to the infirmary the 1st night; I honestly thought it would pass, but after a certain time, I really thought they were closed. I wasn't thinking straight. :o

I don't know how I forgot about the IV they put in me...that was horrible too.

I'm 100% now.

Well I'm glad you're better and I'm enjoying your review :).

I'm glad I'm better too. And thanks for reading.

If she had a high white cell blood count it would be cause from some type of infection.

Thank you, the nurse or perhaps the Dr did say that.

I always avoid the Wok. The raw meat was in high room temperature who knows how long. And I really doubt the cooking time is long enough to kill the bugs.

I ate at the Mongolian Wok on the Valor with no problems so I figured it was safe. I never thought about the exposure to the temps. But now that I did get sick (Mongolian was partly to blame, but not because of the meat), I will not eat there again.

Reading some of your comments and I'm laughing. TMobile's service in my house is spotty; my phone automatically goes to WiFi in the house so I don't miss calls and can get on the Internet' date=' but shockingly, I have 4G in some areas of my house, but 1 darn bar!!!!

Anyhow, I'm going to take my laptop to work and try and get some more of the review done. And respond to you guys.

Enjoy your day and have a great weekend!

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Forums mobile app[/quote']

Me too...this is the most entertaining review I have read in a long time. And along with the others...I'm so sorry you got sick on your cruise and hope you are feeling better now!!

So, you are still ill? I'm enjoying your review very much, you are very funny. One thing I wouldn't do on a cruise is to go to the infirmary unless I was dying. It's no fun being quarantined to your cabin and if they catch you leaving the cabin they put you off the ship. Luckily the only thing we had to go to the infirmary for was DH's ear ache. They hooked him up with some antibiotics and told him he couldn't drink alcohol.

No, I'm no longer ill. I realize I worded it funny. While on the cruise the medical staff couldn't tell me what was wrong with me; it wasn't until I made it home and met with my Dr, that I found out.

You are THE nurse! My DH will be thrilled I clicked on this thread! He was THE doctor! He was so disappointed we didn't get your contact info! I won't spill the beans, but you made quite an impression on him! :D :D :D

OMG!!!! Lol. Yes, I am Nurse Anita H. Please tell your husband I said hello.

Pictures will be posted when I get to Aruba....I mean that section of my review. Lol

I went to the ship's infirmary last week on the Conquest. Was diagnosed with food poisoning. They told me to stay in my room (I was in no shape to go anywhere anyway). Never was I told I would be booted off the ship for noncompliance.

I was expecting doom and gloom as I heard per these boards. Like a security guard camped outside of my door or something. None of that happened and no one would have been the wiser if I had in fact roamed the ship. Not that I would.

FYI - Nurse consult is $95

Dr consult $125

After hours pharmacy $50

If you're sick - get seen. There's no reason not to unless you intend to break the rules. In that case, you have bigger issues than vomiting and diarrhea.

No one was guarding my room either...that I know of...lol, but I was told food would be delivered to my cabin.

And those prices are high, but what could I do? I wonder if my medical insurance would cover it now (future trips) since I have a PPO now. But I always purchase travel insurance.

Hhhmmm......nausea, vomiting, and very tired. Did they do a pregnancy test??

No, they didn't do that. They probably should have.

My fiancé got sick on our Carnival Fantasy cruise. He was so sick they had to send a wheelchair for me to wheel him down to the infirmary. We went close to midnight, they gave him the shot and some Imodium. We don't have to pay one cent.

He was put on 24 hour lockdown which turned into 48 because he was still sick after 24 and they didn't release him. Ruined our cruise but what can you do?

He got the special naughty ding an disembarkation day. I guess they don't report it to the system when he finally did get cleared.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I'm sorry the entire cruise was interrupted; hopefully you had insurance to get the money back, but if not; I'm still glad he's ok.

@firemanbobswife: One Carnival cruise we were on, one of our tablemates had the norovirus - vomiting, etc. She went to the ships store to get some medicine for it but they didn't carry it. So, she went to the infirmary to get something for her DH and a nurse accompanied her to their cabin. The nurse gave him a shot and some meds. Security brought a letter back to their room quarantining her husband to the cabin for 48 hours. In the letter it stated that he was not to leave the cabin and that security would be by to check on him, and he had better be in the cabin or they would be put them off at the next port. She showed me the letter. On another cruise a woman and her 3 children were quarantined and were told the same thing. I think they take the noro virus very seriously, they don't need any more bad publicity.

Oh wow! I'm glad my letter didn't include the "I better be here or else" statement.

Anyway, I just wanted to let people know that it's nowhere near as bad as what some make it out to be. No biohazard signs posted on your door, or people walking around in hazmat suits. No stamp on your forehead letting people know you are sick. If you are feeling ill, go to the infirmary. The first visit is free and you will feel so much better. If you are sick, and are told to stay in your room, then do it. It's no big deal because chances are you won't want to be anywhere but your bed and/or the bathroom anyway. And you should not be out contaminating surfaces and other people.

If people don't report noro/food poisoning, then there's no way to track the trends that may be occurring on a particular cruise line or ship. And I think that if there is a pattern, then changes need to be made. Nothing will happen if everyone that feels ill is petrified to get seen. It's not scary and you will be glad you did!

I agree

Hubby was quarantined on a cruise in Sept but I wasn't .. . so what is that about . . . anything he ordered came with a XXX red bag . . . saying not to be touched . . . but I never got sick . . . He got injection and meds for free . . . I spent two days on my own . . . . he WAS really sick . . . was thankful for bananas and tea!!!

Ouch. ..red biohazard bags?

Subscribed

Thanks for reading

Subscribing! Thanks for the review....you poor girl!

Thanks for reading. I'm better now, but hated being sick on the cruise.

Was he able to order only room service or would they allow a MDR meal to be delivered?

That's a good question. I assumed it would be either of them.

And this review has more drama than an episode of Grey's Anatomy!! Lol. Really?!?

Lol. Not quite; there's no sex in my story. Lol

Yes, after a week or so of feeling terrible and several ER visits, we finally made the decision the morning of sailing to cancel. It was a horrible decision to have to make. But I was way too sick. In my situation, it turned out to be the right call. My cruise was scheduled to leave on a Sunday and they scheduled surgery for the following Thursday. In the days between my gallbladder became infected. Had I not cancelled I'd have more than likely been in a medical emergency/airlift situation from the ship. We were able to take another cruise a few months later when I was feeling much better!

With all that said, I very much hope YOU are better now from whatever it was that caused you to feel so bad!

You made the right decision. I've heard stories about the airlifts and hiw some look scary...I don't know what I'd do if I were in that situation. I'm glad you weren't in it either.

Leo's Rule - this review is better than a soap opera, I tell ya. Is it Saturday yet?:D

Lol...almost.

Most people assume my name is Leo, but yes, it is my zodiac. :)

I so want to do a B2B. ..maybe in the nwar future.

Thanks for reading.

Me too...this is the most entertaining review I have read in a long time. And along with the others...I'm so sorry you got sick on your cruise and hope you are feeling better now!!

Feeling better now. You all are making my day with some of these comments.

So what was your diagnosis? Please share already :)

Now I see why your name is SlyBear; you're being sly trying to get me to spill the beans. :p:D. I'll reveal the diagnosis later.

Exactly!

Just off a cruise 2 months ago where 3 people had to be evacuated! Everyone should buy 3rd party insurance these days....

On another note, several years ago we cruised with a large group of friends and family and several of our friends were quarantined to their room for Norovirus symptoms. In addition to delivering their food to them Carnival also gave them access to any movie on the tv for free (haven't been on Carnival in a few years so don't know if they still charge for some movies or not). They called them several times a day to check on them as well.

Wait.... You're a nurse? And afraid of needles? How does that work? Lol

Seriously, sorry to hear of your distress, your Mom must have been scared! Glad to hear all is well now. Can't wait for the rest!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

OMG, I'm not going on the Breeze or even a Carnival ship for that matter. I was reading for the review but now I don't even care about it anymore because all I want to know is the final diagnosis, lol. I guess I will check back in tha few days.

He was flagged when calling room service for GI diet . . . bananas, tea, broth, crackers, jello . . . .

For dinner that night I went to dining room and the Food and Beverage Manager came and sat with me and bought me wine . . . lol