My 8 Day Semi Cruise from hell aboard the Carnival Breeze 10/26/13 - 11/4/13

Leo's Rule

I decided to type some before I headed out for the night. I'll respond to some of your posts Saturday night.

Dominican Republic

Prior to the cruise I booked the Saona excursion with Seavis. I wasn't exactly sure if I'd make this tour, especially after being quarantined! I had to see the ship's Dr that morning to get clearance for any activities. I felt better, as in I was no longer throwing up, but it did hurt to walk. My excursion required me to get off the ship as soon as it arrived in port (9 am) and that is the same time I went to see the Dr. By the time he finished everything it was 9:30 a.m.

He told me to avoid a bunch of sun and to drink plenty of fluids. I assumed I had missed my tour, but didn't know for sure. When I attempted to disembark I felt like a thief because the bells and whistles sounded :D but a quick call to the Dr. allowed me my disembarking privileges for the remainder of the cruise.

Let me just say that I absolutely hate the port of La Romana! My tour had already departed and since the taxis at the pier had to be used, I kept trying to find the taxi stand for Taxi Casa de Campo. I located them, but trying to talk to someone was hard. I guess I'm too polite; I give people an opportunity to complete their transactions and then others jump in. There was no order; just complete chaos! :mad:

I'd had enough and butt in on someone and ask about the ride that goes to Bayahibe (that's where the group was to be taken) and I'm told to follow a cab driver. To make a long story short, I asked the cab driver if she could call the tour company for me and she said yes, but never made the call. I asked again and she acted like she was calling someone, but never put the phone to her ear. I then asked was she taking me to Bayahibe and she said yes, but I felt she was lying. And even if she wasn't, I didn't know if the people from Seavis were still there since she never made the call!!! I decided to go back to the ship; it was hot and I was tired from standing. It still hurt to walk and being on my feet for long periods was wreaking havoc on my back. (What in the world was wrong with me? It hurt to walk and stand for long periods).

I go to guest services to see if a portion of my cruise could be reimbursed. My mom couldn't believe I had the nerve to ask; she was embarrassed. I was told a manager would need to address that with me and I'd receive a call in my cabin. I said ok and walked away, but I do believe the guy was laughing on the inside; he did have a smile on his face; it was like he was thinking, "yeah, right; reimburse you for sickness?" Since the ship was practically empty, mom and I wen to the serenity deck and I crashed in one of the chairs.

(The only thing I was able to get a picture of DR)

1525643_10200619031232758_769620169_n.jpg

(Mom posing before getting back on the ship)

1507656_10200619030272734_60508678_n.jpg

(Me...dozing off, but I caught my mom sneaking a picture)

1526912_10200619030152731_1662197208_n.jpg

Dominican Republic will be continued

I think she should just tell what it is instead of making eeverone wait. That seems to be the dominate question people are asking.

I can't recall who sings the song, but your handle has that song in my head. "They call me the superman lover....yeah..."

Anyhow, a good storyteller never reveals the end in the middle of the story.

It will be revealed.

Thanks for stopping by.

I did not know nausea came with kidney stones.

Sounds a little like the intestinal blockage my father experienced though.

Kidney stones will have you throwing up and then dry heaving all the way to the hospital.

Done that to me twice.

Dave

I'm really enjoying your review!! :D I went on the Breeze in December and had a blast, she's my favourite ship now!!!! :D Great to hear you got better and I have an idea what was wrong with you but I won't say anything.

@firemanbobswife: One Carnival cruise we were on, one of our tablemates had the norovirus - vomiting, etc. She went to the ships store to get some medicine for it but they didn't carry it. So, she went to the infirmary to get something for her DH and a nurse accompanied her to their cabin. The nurse gave him a shot and some meds. Security brought a letter back to their room quarantining her husband to the cabin for 48 hours. In the letter it stated that he was not to leave the cabin and that security would be by to check on him, and he had better be in the cabin or they would be put them off at the next port. She showed me the letter. On another cruise a woman and her 3 children were quarantined and were told the same thing. I think they take the noro virus very seriously, they don't need any more bad publicity.

I had Norvo on Princess in 2011. the one and only time I had it. You can catch it quickly. It does involved both the Upper gastric system and lower bowels. both ends. It was on the ship ( we received an e-mail the day before) three days into the cruise, I felt nauseous. The Patters had said to call the nurse. I did. She came. she gave me some pills. the next day I slept 24/7. My husband was free to come and go as he showed no symptoms.

Squads with hazemats came every day to clean the cabin. they were kind and sweet. I wound up tipping them a lot. Food was bleak. Cold broth. really bad boiled chicken. Jello. good. and toast. I talked to the same lady every day ordering and I grew to like her a lot. She sent me double jellos. After Two days..The nurse came........I was clear.

Only time I have had it. Never since.

I travel with Clorox wipes. I never touch doorhandles or rails or wash my hands as soon as I can if I do. I NEVER EAT ANYTHING THAT I DID NOT GET ON THE SHIP. PERIOD. A handy tip from a nurse that has worked well.

I wash my hands a lot. I try to use my own restroom. I don't go through the buffet much anymore...We tend to eat all of our meals in the MDR or get a hamburger or pizza.

We stay on the Newer ships.

So far.......works like a charm. And Carnival. I think it has fewer incidents of Norvo because...it is clean. Clean. Clean. they are to be commended.

Omigosh what an experience! Ive had minor illnesses on cruises, but both times it was apparent to staff that it was more from the change in my every day diet than a virus (must eat more junk food to acclimate my system before cruising ;)

I'm glad you took the time to post this. I'm sure a lot of ppl are so concerned about going to medical. But if you need to go, then you need to go. Its cool that they can do lab work. Wasn't expecting that for some reason.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

First of all, I'm so sorry your friend and her dad didn't make it! I hope they had travel insurance!

I wish you had been around to read about my experience with the taxis in La Romana before you left. That was the biggest hot mess I think I've ever seen. My experience was so terrible to the point of me being brought to tears. I'm not interested in visiting there again for sure. I'm so sorry you were sick on your cruise! What a bummer! BUT......

No' date=' they didn't do that. They probably should have.[/size']

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Forums mobile app

Ummm?????? :confused: Inquiring minds want to know! LOL

This review is turning into a whole lot of nothing. I'm done. Bye, bye--- unsubscribing.

and you need to announce this, why?

I am enjoying the review and the suspense. Thank you for taking the time. I really did think, though, that this was going to be an airlift post because the title of "My 8 day semi cruise from hell . . ." I thought it was going to be a semi-cruise . . . lol

and you need to announce this, why?

I am enjoying the review and the suspense. Thank you for taking the time. I really did think, though, that this was going to be an airlift post because the title of "My 8 day semi cruise from hell . . ." I thought it was going to be a semi-cruise . . . lol

I agree with the poster you quoted. The original poster is posting in a way that is very self serving and that we are her little minions. This "review" if you can call it that belongs in one complete story in the cruise review section. Although most of this story so far is about her ailment and not the ship or cruise. Even the la romana is basically not fun because of her ailment

Edited by Crusin6