Which would you choose, Norwegian Jewel or Carnival Sunshine?

mzloolue

So, I am looking at cruises coming up from New Orleans.

Norwegian Jewel has a good price.

I have heard a lot about Sunshine that sounds not so good.

But I know nothing about Jewel except that I have seen it docked and it looks like a fairly new big white boat.

Has anyone been on one or the other or especially both and can help compare and contrast each ships good and not so good points?

Would Sunshine be worth more than Jewel to you?

Thanks!

But I know nothing about Jewel except that I have seen it docked and it looks like a fairly new big white boat.

Has anyone been on one or the other or especially both and can help compare and contrast each ships good and not so good points?

Thanks!

I cruised on Sunshine last week and had a great time. I didn't find any issues that people have been complaining about. Sunshine has all of the 2.0 upgrades, and there is also that wonderful multi-story Serenity area with the waterfall. I wouldn't hesitate to sail on Sunshine again. The food was good. I especially liked JiJi's and the Italian restaurant. The sea day brunches were great too.

Most of what I've read here on the Sunshine, from those that have been on her (including me), are 90% positive. Some just seem to go overly orgasmic on negative aspects.

I haven't been on the Jewel so I won't comment on that ship.

I will say our family had a wonderful time on the Sunshine and it was a fantastic cruise as well as ship.

So, I suppose it depends on how much price difference there is?

Thanks!

What was good about Jewel?

The specialty restaurants were great and worth the money. We were a large group of 14 and they were always able to accommodate us. Buffet was large with plenty of selections. They also have a washy washy girl at the entrance who would spray your hands with hand sanitizer before you entered the buffet...this was a great idea.

The shows were entertaining.

Our room steward was very attentive.

We traveled in August and were worried we wouldn't be able to find a spot around the pool but we never had a problem.

It's been 2 years so I don't remember everything, but I would cruise Jewel again.

The specialty restaurants were great and worth the money. We were a large group of 14 and they were always able to accommodate us. Buffet was large with plenty of selections. They also have a washy washy girl at the entrance who would spray your hands with hand sanitizer before you entered the buffet...this was a great idea.

The shows were entertaining.

Our room steward was very attentive.

We traveled in August and were worried we wouldn't be able to find a spot around the pool but we never had a problem.

It's been 2 years so I don't remember everything, but I would cruise Jewel again.

Okay, here is the big question about Jewel, do you remember if they had deck chairs looking out to the sea, but not around the pool?

If you like to eat. I actually lost 5# both times I sailed NCL, the food was so bad. (and the MDR service!) Supposedly the extra fee food is much better, but there goes any savings (and then some). The Jewel is also smaller.

We had a great time on the Sunshine. Food was good. Staff was good. Serenity was good. My only complaint is the Comedy club is small and hot with a terrible layout, but we still went and enjoyed it. I would not hesitate for a minute to book her again! Never been on NCL, but the Jewel looks like she is wearing lipstick:D

ed3c8c16-567f-43fa-92f0-b998c30842d9_zpsaf3d6763.jpg

STAY AWAY from the Sunshine. I was on it December 15 to the 22. It is as bad as you have read. Mechanically not updated and everything breaks and water leaking. Soaked carpets, sewage smell through the ship. Rocks like no other ship I have ever been on to the point at times you bang into walls or counters. It was cheap and I laughed it off, it was so bad we were waiting so see what would break next. I was on the Enchantment of the seas after it was refurbished and had similar expectations. NOT EVEN CLOSE. They updated the appearance and added extra amenities but mechanical was never fixed or updated and something different was leaking or breaking each day… I haven never been on the Jewel but I am telling you Sunshine is the worst. I have 3 previous cruises under my belt and this boat is the gong show!

We had a great time on the Sunshine. Food was good. Staff was good. Serenity was good. My only complaint is the Comedy club is small and hot with a terrible layout, but we still went and enjoyed it. I would not hesitate for a minute to book her again! Never been on NCL, but the Jewel looks like she is wearing lipstick:D

ed3c8c16-567f-43fa-92f0-b998c30842d9_zpsaf3d6763.jpg

So is that a good or a bad thing? What's your point?

Cheers!

I'll be on the Sunshine this summer and looking forward to it. Except the post above (first time poster:rolleyes:) the stuff I have read here recently has been favorable. I'm thinking of trying the Epic (NCL) but its weird how the posts are 50/50 on the food. I'm sure I wont starve because any meal I didn't have to cook and do the dishes for already puts me in a good mood. I'm also thinking of trying the Princess line. We can only cruise once every year or year and half and when Carnival keeps being thousand of dollars less it keeps me loyal to them. I think if we didn't have to spend so much money on airfare we would be more willing to spend more for a different line.

I would choose Jewel, but that is solely because I prefer NCL over CCL (by quite a lot)

ymmv

I haven't sailed on either one but if I had to book a cruise using only those two ships I would choose Carnival. I sailed once on NCL, way back in 2007, and wasn't impressed. Since then I sail only on Carnival and Royal Caribbean.

That is about the time Kevin Sheehan took over and things are very good since he took the reigns.

We sailed out first NCL cruise in 2007 and it was OK. Every NCL cruise we took after that were hands down the best cruises we have ever taken.

Edited by halos

-+*

I would choose Jewel, but that is solely because I prefer NCL over CCL (by quite a lot)

ymmv

That is about the time Kevin Sheehan took over and things are very good since he took the reigns.

We sailed out first NCL cruise in 2007 and it was OK. Every NCL cruise we took after that were hands down the best cruises we have ever taken.

This sounds good.

I have read references to add on cost on Norwegian, but not specifically what the additional costs are.

We are trying to work around several people planning this cruise.

My sister's husband does not like sea days or beach days.

Basically he does not want to get wet or have wind blow on him.

He also needs entertainment.

And he wants to go somewhere he has not been before.

He is kind of a problem child in this.

He seems to like excursions where people ride on things.

Myself, I like a five day cruise, a good book in a shady deck chair, and as many sea days as I can get.

I don't get bored as DH and I keep ourselves amused.

-

Edited by mzloolue

-+*

This sounds good.

I have read references to add on cost on Norwegian, but not specifically what the additional costs are.

We are trying to work around several people planning this cruise.

My sister's husband does not like sea days or beach days.

Basically he does not want to get wet or have wind blow on him.

He also needs entertainment.

And he wants to go somewhere he has not been before.

He is kind of a problem child in this.

He seems to like excursions where people ride on things.

Myself, I like a five day cruise, a good book in a shady deck chair, and as many sea days as I can get.

I don't get bored as DH and I keep ourselves amused.

-

:eek:

:eek:

Good luck.

In that case, wouldn't a Royal cruise suit better?? They are all about the ship and have that 'mall' 'amusement park' feel going. I would be looking at Oasis or Allure in your circumstances.

Edited by halos

Thanks!

Haven't been on the Sunshine just got back off the Jewel. I have done both lines and wouldn't hesitate to do either one again. I liked them both for different reasons and chose based on where we wanted to go that year.

Haven't been on the Sunshine just got back off the Jewel. I have done both lines and wouldn't hesitate to do either one again. I liked them both for different reasons and chose based on where we wanted to go that year.

What was your favorite thing about Jewel?

And what did you not like?