Looking for catamaran excursion feedback

bostonfred

Hoping someone has taken golden eagle sailaway and swim or mirabella catamaran and swim..we will be on NCL Getaway 2/15/14 and are looking at both excursions...I know snorkling is not great,but want a great beach stop and fun cat cruise..anyone have thoughts..i know there are reviews on booking page,looking for more Gracias!!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Hoping someone has taken golden eagle sailaway and swim or mirabella catamaran and swim..we will be on NCL Getaway 2/15/14 and are looking at both excursions...I know snorkling is not great,but want a great beach stop and fun cat cruise..anyone have thoughts..i know there are reviews on booking page,looking for more Gracias!!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I have done the Golden Eagle around the island and they have lovely cats and very good staff. They are within easy walking distance of the port which cuts down on transportation costs and traffic issues.

We did the golden eagle catamaran last December and it was the worst experience. Snorkeling was terrible but it was windy day. But the beach part of it you had to swim more than a football fields length to get to the beach. This was irritating to me as I about had a panic attack snorkeling because you couldn't see a thing in the water and it was so rough. It was disappointing because every other cat cruise we have done and booked drives you up to the beach. It was a struggle for anyone to swim back to the boat with only the help of a noodle. We are going back to this island next month and I am torn as to what to do also.

We've been with the Golden Eagle folks three times on ship excursions and did a full day tour the week we stayed on the island. It is a first class operation. Snorkeling on SXM is not usually very good no matter which boat you take. Creole Rock is OK, but hit or miss. Tintamarre island is a nice place, but they anchor a ways off due to local regulations.

My favorite spot is Mullet Bay. It's not OMG awesome, but there are a few nice spots. There's a small reef to the south, the sand is good, the water is often nice, and there are two lolo's selling various food. You won't need anything with the Golden Eagle folks, though. They supply food and beer/punch.

bmgrins, I don't think you'll see any boats up on the beach in SXM... or at least I don't recall ever seeing it. They all have to anchor away from the beach and drop the ladder into the water. Yes, it can be rough some days and for someone unfamiliar with the waters there it can be scary. It's not really dangerous, though, unless you can't swim. When we stopped at Tintamarre, we were pretty far out, but you could still easily see the bottom around 20-25 feet down. I swam all the way in to the island and walked around for a bit. It was maybe 100 yards.

Edited by RZ3

We did The Mirabella last March. It was the best cat excursion we've done. Snacks and drinks served, 2 snorkel stops and a beautiful beach. It was reasonably priced. The cat had a slide on it, which I loved. I hate getting in the water slowly :-). It wasn't crowded at all and the crew was super attentive to all of us. They even took people to the beach in a dingy, if so desired. We are doing the same excursion again this March.

due to better feedback on trip advisor,ncl,and CC we have chosen golden eagle despite some good reviews as well on mirabella,it is a little more,but want a great cat experience.we were on oasis in nov and did not get out on a cat and we missed it!!will post a review upon our return to the frigid northeast!!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• 4 months later...

I would also like the above info. Ncl Getaway has a Golden Eagle half day sail and swim. How many people on board? Real sailing?

Trying to pick between this and doing Random Wind full day on our own (if it works with the ships time?).

Thanks! !

Thanks! Did you sail or motor? Was it crowded?

It's always been mostly sail. I know because I move around to be in the shade cast by shadow of the sail. It's never been so full I've not been able to find a seat in several locations. :)

Note: The Golden Eagle Catamaran excursion has been around for a very long time ... so has stood the "test of time".

We took our daughters on it when they were young. Now, our daughter takes our grandchildren.

LuLu