LAX transfer times?

calliopecruiser

It's been decades since I've flown to or through LAX, but one of my options is to fly home transferring from Air NZ to Air Canada in LAX. How much time is it reasonable to allow for the transfer? I assume I'll have to clear US customs, correct? It would be a Sunday morning in November.....do you think 2 hours is doable?

There is an option to transfer through SFO, though flight times are a little longer, and it offers a 4 hour layover - a longer day, but that would be preferable to missing my connection in LA.

Both ANZ and ACA use Terminal 2 at LAX. The US does not have the concept of international transit passengers (with some very rare exceptions) and you have to enter the US and re-clear security for the ACA flight. I don't know how many other flights arrive into T2 in the mornings...you may be "competing" with a few Asian arrivals and some from Central and South America.

Provided your luggage is thru-checked from AKL to Canada, you briefly claim your luggage for Customs at LAX, then put it on a conveyor for transfer to the connecting flight. If you have duty-free purchases from NZ that exceed the liquid restriction, it must be put into your checked bag while you have it in Customs. Otherwise it will be confiscated by security for the connecting flight.

A pretty good explanation found with a quick Google search: http://www.airnewzealand.com/connecting-at-los-angeles

ANZ and ACA have a pretty good scheduling relationship at LAX. 2 hours isn't completely comfortable to me...but chances are you will be OK. Since it's summer in NZ, there shouldn't be weather delays into LAX.

Where is your eventual destination? There's a lot more backup flights to YVR and YYZ than YYC for example.

My final destination is YYZ. If I was going to YVR, I'd try to fly direct; I could connect through YVR, but I'd rather take advantage of the atypical configuration in Premium Economy that Air NZ has on their flights through LAX and SFO (on their 777-300s). I'm a wider person, and the extra inches will make a big difference over the narrower seats on the 777-200 to YVR.

Immigration likely to be more of a delay than Customs, which is normally just a matter of handing over a form you filled out on board your flight and had initialed by Immigration. Then you go to a baggage carousel to get your bags (there can be a wait), then Customs, then exit the secure area and go through security to your next flight. If the airlines are in the same terminal it shouldn't be a big deal.

Two hours would usually be doable, but I'd rather have 4, as a cushion. Looks like Air Canada may use a couple of terminals at SFO, but with 4 hours that shouldn't be a concern. You would, as noted, still have to go through Immigration and Customs, no matter what airport you enter the U.S. at.

I assume both flights will be booked together, in which case Air Canada should put you on the next flight with available seats (not necessarily the very next flight), should you miss your connection at LAX or SFO. Is there another flight that day, just in case?

Edited by Fattony

I assume both flights will be booked together, in which case Air Canada should put you on the next flight with available seats (not necessarily the very next flight), should you miss your connection at LAX or SFO. Is there another flight that day, just in case?

Good thought - I'll keep that in mind when I'm looking at options. I've been watching the prices, and they've come down already. I'll probably push the button in the next month or so. I also have to decide on how long I'm going to stay in NZ after the cruise, and I've been waffling on that too.

Good thought - I'll keep that in mind when I'm looking at options. I've been watching the prices, and they've come down already. I'll probably push the button in the next month or so. I also have to decide on how long I'm going to stay in NZ after the cruise, and I've been waffling on that too.
All of which means that by the time you get to where you might actually purchase a ticket, the pricing may have completely changed the equation.....

All of which means that by the time you get to where you might actually purchase a ticket, the pricing may have completely changed the equation.....

No, unless Aeroplan suddenly allows me to get a Business class seat with points (ain't gonna happen), I'll be buying a Premium Economy seat on a 777-300. The price won't change that - what's really keeping me back now is trying to decide how much time I can spend there.

SFO!! I hadn't thought about it until this thread (doh!).

If I buy an ANZ ticket to SFO (premium economy about $1400), I can get a business class seat with Aeroplan from SFO to YYZ. About 6 hours transfer time in SFO, which should be more than enough.

I know a travel agent could have been doing all this thinking for me, but I like the planning......

Why? Lack of miles, or lack of availability?

Lack of availability......I've been diligently building miles since I started thinking about this trip, but right now to use them to get home from New Zealand I'd have to fly via Asia (usually Japan). That adds about 10-12 hours, and there's usually one of the 12 hour legs in Economy. I'd rather spend the $1400 and fly direct in ANZ's premium economy.