Wine Package

new_to_cruising

I've bought the package 4 times in the last couple of years and every time I had to select the wine I wanted when ordering. You are given slips that you exchange for the wine when you want it.

People on here have reported being able to change the wine when get them though. I've never tried it myself.

On our September cruise last year, we purchased the 8 bottle package upon boarding the ship in the Atrium. We had to select the level and individual bottles. We were given "slips" then for each bottle. There was no problem later changing your mind on one or more of the bottles you selected as long as you stayed within that price level. We did this several times on the cruise, changing as I recall three of our selections. Take the slip to one of the bar tenders to have it exchanged. Also was able to take a bottle back to the cabin or carry about the ship or at one of the bars without any issue.

Seems more economical and makes better sense than paying that $15 corkage fee for every bottle you bring onboard - if you bring 4 that's already $60 plus the cost of the wine - and seems you can get a 4 bottle package for as little as $88...

Unless I suppose you are very fussy and have specific brands/types that you wish to drink onboard!

Seems more economical and makes better sense than paying that $15 corkage fee for every bottle you bring onboard - if you bring 4 that's already $60 plus the cost of the wine - and seems you can get a 4 bottle package for as little as $88...

Unless I suppose you are very fussy and have specific brands/types that you wish to drink onboard!

LOL I was just doing the math myself to see which way would be cheaper. If you deduct what would be the corkage fee on four bottles you are paying $7 per bottle of wine for the Enthusiast package. So the only way it would be cheaper to bring your own on board (assuming you are not picky) would be if you bought bottles that are under the $7 choice. I personally have a few wines that I do love under that price point (thank you Trader Joes!), but I don't know if the hassle is worth it or not.

It isn't quite that simple, because you pay an additional 15% gratuity on top of the wine package! making the cheapest one £101.20

You don't pay any extra on top of the corkage fee.

I usually bring on a couple of bottles that I particularly like, and then get a package as well. That way I have a couple of bottles for particular nights (when we eat in speciality restaurants for example), and a load of relatively cheap wine for every day drinking.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It isn't quite that simple, because you pay an additional 15% gratuity on top of the wine package! making the cheapest one £101.20

You don't pay any extra on top of the corkage fee.

I usually bring on a couple of bottles that I particularly like, and then get a package as well. That way I have a couple of bottles for particular nights (when we eat in speciality restaurants for example), and a load of relatively cheap wine for every day drinking.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Do you have to pay gratuity even if you have it all sent to your room?

Froufie:

That has to be the best darn "Bang for the Buck" ever !

On the Sun this past summer my party bought 8 bottles upon boarding and

after discussing the merits went back and bought 4 more.

What was even better was not having to labor hauling on board a selection

from an off ship liquor store and the hassel of paying the corkage fee and

then lugging the stash to the cabin.

The bottom tier selections were excellent and well received.

Hope NCL continues to keep this program it is a winner !

Just wish that NCL would come up with a better solution to having a bottle or

two of high test hard liquor - the bar set-up is too pricy although for a liter

bottle getting maybe 21-22 shots against drinks at one of the bars with two

shots priced @ $7.50 a drink still is not too bad. For the most part the

selection of hard liquor is not that bad just not my everyday shot of tea.

Need more 16 men on a dead man's chest - Yo-ho-ho and a bottle of rum !

Cheers !

Hello, we always bring our own and pay the $15 corkage. The saving is worth it and if it is possible I advise doing it. We cash tip if we bring it with us when dining or to the bars. Champagne alone was over a 50% savings and we do go through wine. We looked up liquor stores close to the hotels we have used and it has worked out well. I was surprised that Florida ones close to the piers had all sorts of plastic containers for liquor. I guess this is a big seller for the cruise crowd and alot of plastic.

Yes, it's charged at the time you purchase the package. They have no idea where you will drink it.

Quick clarification - - -

Wine bought from NCL (wine package) the corkage fee is inclusive and already paid.

Wine you bring on board on your own you pay the corkage fee after passing the security point - charged to your On Board Account.

Wine in bottles 5ths the fee $15 each - liters are more I believe $20 and magnums are double the $15 or $30 although they may overlook the difference between a 5th and liter.

Thanks to all for the wine info. It's much appreciated.

It will help us make our decision which way to go (either bring our own bottles or buy a package) this summer.

Cheers!

~Robin

Norwegian Breakaway July 2014

Carnival Miracle 2010

Carnival Legend 2006

Every Day at Sea is a Great Day

• 1 month later...

I assume there is not a 15% gratuity added to the package price? Good list to have. The is the first cruise I've had with a corkage fee for wine consumed in your cabin.....so we are considering our best options!

Also, do the bartenders do 'measured pours' when you order by the glass?

According to post #29 (above) by Keith, you do pay 15% gratuity on the package.

I hadn't seen that post until just now.

Now I have to reconsider my decision to buy the package vs. bringing my own.

The bottles I drink at home are magnums, which would be charged a $30 corkage fee.

Maybe do what he does, and do both. Bring a couple bottles of your favorite from home, then buy a 4 bottle package.

Cheers!

Robin

Norwegian Breakaway July 2014

Carnival Miracle 2010

Carnival Legend 2006

Every Day at Sea is a Great Day

We had the pkg on the Epic on our March 2 cruise. Our wine followed us everywhere. The pkg we got brought the $30 bottle down to $22 per bottle. But don't forget to add 15% to the pkg; i.e. $88 + 15%. Made fast use of our OBC but it worked well for us.

Does anyone have the wine list and the packages prices? We are going on the Sun next month and are debating if we should bring wine and pay the corkage or purchase the wine package. Thanks for your help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From my sailing in July 2013:

The Enthusiast

4 Bottles - $88

6 Bottles - $132

8 Bottles - $176

___ Beringer, Sparkling White Zinfandel – California

___ Lindemans, Bin 90 Moscato – Australia

___ Ruffino, Pinot Grigio – Delle Venezie, Italy

___ De Aureo Spirito, Sauvignon Blanc – Langeudoc, France

___ Woodbridge by Robert Mandavi, White Zinfandel – California

___ Alice White, Chardonnay – Southeastern Australia

___ Colores Del Sol, Malbec – Mandoza, Argentina

___ Ravenswood, “Zen of Zin” Zinfandel – California

___ Errazuriz, “Estate” Merlot – Colchagua Valley, Chile

___ Black Opal, Shiraz/Cabernet – Southern Australia

The Aficionado

Including selections from the “Enthusiast” category plus the following

4 Bottles - $98

6 Bottles - $146

8 Bottles - $196

___ Rosemont, Riesling – Southeastern Australia

___ Estancia, Pinot Grigio – California

___ Matua Valley, Sauvignon Blanc – Marlborough, New Zealand

___ Robert Mandavi Private Selection, Chardonnay – California

___ Estancia, Pinot Noir – Monterey, California

___ Rancho Zabaco, “Heritage Vines” Zinfandel – Sonoma, California

___ Sylvester Winery, “Kiara Reserve” Merlot - California

___ Avalon Cabernet Sauvignon – Napa Valley, California

The Connoisseur

Including selections from the “Enthusiast” and “Aficionado categories plus the following

4 Bottles - $110

6 Bottles - $162

8 Bottles - $216

___ Dry Creek, Fume Blanc – Sonoma, California

___ Isabel Mandavi, Deep Rose’ – Napa Valley, California

___ Wild Horse, Chardonnay – Central Coast, California

___ Spellbound, Petite Sirah – California

___ Chareau St. Jean, Cabernet Sauvignon – California

A 15% gratuity will be added to your check for all beverages orders. Prices are subject to change. Your check may reflect applicable VAT for certain ports or itineraries

Drink Up - Enjoy in Moderation !

Hope they have this same list for my October sailing on the STAR !

I had read on other threads on this board that this wine package was being discontinued and replaced by the Corks and Caps program ($40 a day for 'unlimited' wine and beer). I see one of you just got off the Epic and it was there. So is the wine package still available everywhere or just on certain ships? I'm on the Pearl next month and was hoping to buy it. I will call my TA to ask as well but if anyone here has knowledge, please share! Thanks!!!