Balcony Room Curtains?

tgmg00a

My wife and I are doing our first Alaskan cruise in Mid June and I realized we will be crossing the Summer Solstice during our trip. This means very long days and very short nights. So, how good are the curtains/drapes in the balcony rooms? Should I bring a sleep mask? Your thoughts?

We were on Star last year and found the curtains to be very good at blocking light. I was actually quite impressed with them - I was able to take afternoon naps on our Mexico itinerary without any problem.

There are two curtains: a privacy curtain and a room darkening curtain. This is what's in all Princess cabins. Some people use clips to hold the curtains in place at the center but I just use the chair to hold them together. They do a pretty good job.

Thank you for the quick replay. Will bring the mask and I already have clothes pins in my toilet bag from long experience in hotels with curtains that won't stay closed.

I was just off the South American cruise on Golden Princess where we had a lot of daylight rounding Cape Horn. I used some wrapping tape I packed to seal the curtains along the wall edges. My wife was constantly telling me to turn off the balcony light and I had to tell her that's sunlight around 3:00 AM.

Also had the same experience on the Baltics cruise on the Crown Princess. The sun set really late and we had some light well around 11:00 PM and early morning around 3:00 AM. That's when I learned I can reduce (not eliminate) light seeping in from the top and sides of the curtain by using tape.

The other routine you can do is to drink a bottle of wine before going to sleep. That help us sleep on many a night.

Have Fun!

Remember us

...Pam and Gary?

How you been? We 're cruising on NCL DAWN western Caribbean.Jan 26 2014

Coming up soon.....we are both retired and enjoying travels. Please Stop in at our roll call and say hello.

Pam :)

The curtains are good but not 100% on keeping the light out, the sleeping masks are so small I would bring them.

Have a great cruise

We were on the coral in Alaska 2 days before the solstice. For the most part the curtains did a great job. I do, remember a little bit of light showing under the curtain, not enough to keep you up, but enough that when my 8year old woke up at 2:30am he saw the light coming in and assumed it was at least 6 am, and thus time to get up