Dress Code for Specialty Restaurants on Oasis for Formal Nights

My family will be traveling on the Oasis in early March, and have decided to only participate in the first formal night, with eating in the MDR. But, one night is plenty for going all out, clothing-wise. What is the dress code for Chop's or Giovanni's for the second night ? Is there even a dress code ? We won't be going in shorts and flip flops, just basic resort casual attire. Is this acceptable or will we be out of place ? Also, do others have the same idea, and are these restaurants reserved fast on formal nights ?

Thanks,

Eric

To my knowledge the suggested Formal Attire dress code also encompasses Specialty Dining on those nights as well.

I also believe some specialty restaurants have their own dress which may be more "strict" than the ships attire suggestion for the main dining room. Not sure if the both of those are like that.

However, Royal's website usually has the suggested dress for specialty restaurants listed.

On Princess Diamond people wore about everything but myself, having some decorum left, I wear a coat and tie my wife black pants, red silk blouse and a black coat. They take formal photos and you can buy them for a reasonable price so why not dress for it. It was fun meeting other people and watching all the fancy dresses.

To my knowledge the suggested Formal Attire dress code also encompasses Specialty Dining on those nights as well.

I also believe some specialty restaurants have their own dress which may be more "strict" than the ships attire suggestion for the main dining room. Not sure if the both of those are like that.

However, Royal's website usually has the suggested dress for specialty restaurants listed.

On Princess Diamond people wore about everything but myself, having some decorum left, I wear a coat and tie my wife black pants, red silk blouse and a black coat. They take formal photos and you can buy them for a reasonable price so why not dress for it. It was fun meeting other people and watching all the fancy dresses.

Not true about the dress code on formal nights in specialty dining...many people dine that night to avoid dressing up on formal nights..we've dined in Chops over 15 times on formal nights, and I wear dockers, nice shirt, etc...yes, some people go formal to specialty dining on formal nights....as long as you're not wearing jeans, shorts, flip flops, t-shirts, etc., you will be fine...after 29 cruises, dressing up formal to me is like the postman on his day off, he takes a walk...I dress up enough in work- which is what I'm trying to get away from on my cruise vacation,LOL....

Big Al

Just got off Allure and I noticed a change in the policy.

We've always dined in specialty restaurants on formal night to avoid fancy dress as well, but this time I noticed in the cruise compass a notation that formal dress guidelines applied in specialty restaurants as well!

Since we'd already booked and just had 'smart casual' packed--I went down to talk to staff a few days ahead. They told me that 'smart casual' would be more than acceptable and sure enough, when we arrived, we were the norm. Of course, a few people were dressed up, but we didn't feel out of place.

I don't go on vacation to dress up. I've cruised enough, like "Big Al" that I don't want to go through that on my vacation. We skipped formal night on our last cruise (on the Oasis) and when we returned the next night in our normal shorts and flip flops, our waiter asked us why we hadn't been there the night before. We told him we didn't dress up, and his response was (not verbatim) "It doesn't matter! You should come! No need to dress differently than you are."

So, that seemed to be the policy on the Oasis - at least on THAT cruise. If you like dressing up, and have nowhere else to go to use your fancy dress, by all means, enjoy your night to dress fancy. I just don't care to. I was so worried the first night I tried the MDR (we use MTD) in shorts -- but, to my surprise, more folks were dressed in extremely casual gear than in "casual dress." I'm not concerned anymore...

I've sailed Oasis twice and Allure once. I only dine in specialty restaurants. I have never brought formal attire. I occasionally wear a jacket for comfort, but often wear slacks and a short sleeve collar shirt. I have never been turned away, nor have I ever felt out of place. Will there be people in formal wear on formal night? Sure, some. But it is in no way expected or required in the specialty restaurants.

This will be our 11th cruise coming this March, 10 on RCI. When we first started cruising in the early 90s, the DW and I did the dress up thing for formal nights. Tux for me, very nice dress for the DW, tux for the son and nice dresses for the 2 girls. Took and bought all the photos and well fast forward a few years and the DW and I …been there..done that… don't do formal dress anymore. We haven't done that for the past 3 cruises and have eaten in the MDR ,specialty restaurants , and even once in Windjammer on formal night.

We both wore resort casual attire and it seemed that at least 30% of passengers did the same at all venues except Windjammer. There it was all Resort casual. You'll be fine.

I know there are lots of folks that still think formal night should mean at least tie and jacket for men, but I think that atmosphere has left RCI line years ago when they started to market to "the masses". Other cruise lines have more strict formal wear policy and certainly one could go there, if it truly matters.

We do still enjoy formal nights, watching all the others dressed to the 9s. But we don't let our non formal dress hinder our vacation and hope it doesn't really effect others. Honestly, if one's vacation is not all that it should be because of someone else's dress, then I think RCI is probably not the cruise line for you.

If the dress code is not enforced why have a dress code? Personally, I would never dress beyond casual slacks, a shirt with a collar and shoes on a cruise but the rules state differently. It is somewhat annoyng that I carry an extra bag for the dress clothes when others arrive in the MDR in shorts and flipflops.

Is that how folks dress for a nice restaurant at home?

We've always dined in specialty restaurants on formal night to avoid fancy dress as well, but this time I noticed in the cruise compass a notation that formal dress guidelines applied in specialty restaurants as well!

I missed that myself. I just checked my Cruise Compasses from August and, sure enough, they have the same language.

Fortunately, it wasn't an issue for us. We were still able to dine in the specialty restaurants wearing our normal casual attire (khaki slacks, polo or button-down shirt, no jacket or tie) and didn't feel out of place.

In the Cruise Compasses from Independence of the Seas back in March, I seem to recall that the specialty restaurants were called out as "smart casual", even on formal nights.

I wonder whether the suggestion for formal dress in specialty restaurants is limited to Oasis and Allure.

My family will be traveling on the Oasis in early March, and have decided to only participate in the first formal night, with eating in the MDR. But, one night is plenty for going all out, clothing-wise. What is the dress code for Chop's or Giovanni's for the second night ? Is there even a dress code ? We won't be going in shorts and flip flops, just basic resort casual attire. Is this acceptable or will we be out of place ? Also, do others have the same idea, and are these restaurants reserved fast on formal nights ?

Thanks,

Eric

officially Smart casual every night even formal nights. Unofficially many people will be in Formal wear or a step between smart casual and formal on those nights.

I've sailed Oasis twice and Allure once. I only dine in specialty restaurants. I have never brought formal attire. I occasionally wear a jacket for comfort, but often wear slacks and a short sleeve collar shirt. I have never been turned away, nor have I ever felt out of place. Will there be people in formal wear on formal night? Sure, some. But it is in no way expected or required in the specialty restaurants.

We are just like you. Nice slacks and a dress shirt for me, no tie and sometimes a jacket. DW wears similar style, just in ladies attire.

I have never felt under or over dressed. I have seen other people dressed up more as well as a bit more casual than us.

Evidently, it has said that in the Compass for some time now (noticed it myself on Oasis in September). But hasn't changed the makeup of the room at all.

All,

Thanks for the replies. Since we will be skipping the second formal night, and not the first, I'll make my specialty reservations for that Thursday. I'll check to see how the first formal nights plays out, dress-wise, and go from threre. But, most likely, we'll enjoy our evening at either Chops/Giovanni's. From the general tone, it seems like the khaki's and polos will not be horribly out of place.

Thanks,

Eric

All,

Thanks for the replies. Since we will be skipping the second formal night, and not the first, I'll make my specialty reservations for that Thursday. I'll check to see how the first formal nights plays out, dress-wise, and go from threre. But, most likely, we'll enjoy our evening at either Chops/Giovanni's. From the general tone, it seems like the khaki's and polos will not be horribly out of place.

Thanks,

Eric

Eric,

Keep in mind that the second formal night is also lobster night. I have been told that you can order lobster in the speciality restaurants.

Mike

All,

Thanks,

Eric

Khakis and a polo are acceptable in all dining venues, regardless of the night's theme.