Tipping Question

rubinstein2r

If you don't want to give cash tips at all you can tip extra by getting cards from guest services which allow you to add extra tips from your account.

Would that go TOTALLY to the recipient, or would it get "pooled" like the auto tip does?

Would that go TOTALLY to the recipient, or would it get "pooled" like the auto tip does?

I could be wrong, but I do not believe that the auto tips are pooled. I believe that they are directed to the folks who are indicated to receive them on the Celebrity web site.

• 2 weeks later...
Technically, that covers the butler; however, this is not enough in my opinion, particullarly if he does all all those extra things, like breakfast, dinner etc. Additionally, if there are more than two folks in the RS, then this should be taken into consideration. If it were us, ( just two folks) and he did all those extras, I feel that a $500.00, tip would be appropriate.

:eek: $500 tip! I admit that I didn't read this thread really well, so don't know what you are tipping for, but $500 seems excessive! Did you mean $50?...I hope.

Another question...Do we tip the Butler for room service each time, or at the end of the cruise? In a standard balcony stateroom, we would tip room service each time it was delivered. Seemed to always be a different person delivering.

Edited by Iamthesea

Another question...Do we tip the Butler for room service each time, or at the end of the cruise? In a standard balcony stateroom, we would tip room service each time it was delivered. Seemed to always be a different person delivering.

I never tipped the butler for room service or bringing me an espresso. That's his job like that's the cabin attendant's job to clean your stateroom.

In a standard balcony stateroom, I would tip the person bringing room service if it were not our stateroom attendant. I found that a nice tip the first day getting room service resulted in faster/quicker service in the future. The word gets around.

That's what we usually do, Wine-O, in a standard stateroom. I didn't know if it appropriate to give upfront to a Butler and not sure if I will for the steward in a Suite.

Personally, I never tip up front. I reward them at the end of the cruise. Never had anything other than exceptional service.

Folks, I was referring to the butler in a Royal Suite, probably on a ten night cruise. He would probably be serving dinner at least two or three times during said cruise. Also, my wife and I are not cheap.

Hmmm....Are auto tips still $15 pp a day for Royal and Penthouse Suites? If so, I could see tipping extra a little more than usual, but $500 is a very generous tip! :eek: Maybe if I were in a Penthouse and hosted a couple of parties, but not in a Royal Suite (I've never stayed in one) and having dinner served to me a couple times (never done that either.)

Lucky Butler to have you to serve!

Personally, I never tip up front. I reward them at the end of the cruise. Never had anything other than exceptional service.

I found that a nice tip the first day getting room service resulted in faster/quicker service in the future.

:) I misread this yesterday. :o I thought you were tipping your room steward upfront on the first day. My husband does that with our steward. :rolleyes: I see what you mean about giving a good tip to the room server on the first day. ;)

:) I misread this yesterday. :o I thought you were tipping your room steward upfront on the first day. My husband does that with our steward. :rolleyes: I see what you mean about giving a good tip to the room server on the first day. ;)

Yeah, I never tip the stateroom attendant the first day -- only at the end of the cruise.

It's just the guy or gal who brings me my room service after I call.

Agreed on stateroom attendants for the most part. But I may slide a few bucks early along the way for service above and beyond. However other staff, especially bartenders and other service personnel I will tip along with my request or immediately after the drink or service is delivered. This is seed money in my mind. Washington, Lincoln, Hamilton and Jackson are great financial advisors.