01/18 Caribbean Princess Delay Notice

5:00_Somewhere

Just thought I'd share the email I just received from Princess.

Dear Princess Passenger,

On the current sailing of Caribbean Princess there has been an increase in the number of cases of gastrointestinal illness amongst passengers caused by Norovirus, a common illness. It will be necessary for the ship to undergo a prolonged and additional disinfection in Houston on Saturday, January 18, 2014. Consequently, embarkation will be delayed and cruise check-in will now begin at 2:00 pm. We will operate a progressive check-in schedule as noted below. Please arrive at your scheduled check-in time as there is very limited seating space in the terminal and passengers arriving before their scheduled check-in time will be asked to return at their assigned time.

2:00 pm – Baja, Fiesta, & Plaza Decks – Cabins on these decks begin with B, F, & P

2:30 pm – Caribe & Emerald Decks – Cabins on these decks begin with C & E

3:00 pm – Dolphin & Riviera Decks – Cabins on these decks begin with D & R

3:30 pm – Aloha & Lido Decks – Cabins on these decks begin with A & L

We kindly request that you follow the preventative measures outlined in the attached pre-boarding health advisory not only once on board, but also over the coming days to help minimize the spread of Norovirus.

Occasionally, throughout this season, fog has closed the port of Houston at short notice which has delayed the arrival of the ship by a few hours. Please ensure that you have your cell phone number registered through the Cruise Personalizer so that we are able to update you should any further delays occur.

Thank you for your attention to this important message. The entire staff and crew of Caribbean Princess looks forward to welcoming you on board.

Notice: This is an automated email; do not reply as it is undeliverable.

Have there been any updates from this week's sailing indicating the severity of the illness? Is it limited to a handful of passengers, and Princess is being proactive, or has it become widespread to both the passengers and crew of the voyage that is sailing now?

We got the same email notice. We are currently scheduled to get the princess transfer from IAH at 11 a.m. - any suggestions as to when we can get the shuttle now? Don't want to sit around the airport for hours if we don't have to.

Thanks - see you all soon !

Terry

Me again - also I'm not planning on turning my cell phone due to high roaming charges (from Canada) - do you think they'll continue sending out emails if things change?

thanks, Terry

You can leave your cell on for text messages - they're far less expensive. The cruise line should send you a text, same as they send emails. Just don't answer any phone calls!!

That is, of course, if you registered your cell # with the cruise line!!!!!!!!! :)

Just thought I'd share the email I just received from Princess.

Keep the rest of us posted on what happens.

We are on the Caribbean Princess in February.

And ...

We were on the Crown Princess February 2012 when our cruise was cancelled and returned to port after 4 days at sea b/c of an extreme outbreak of Norovirus. It was mess (literally)

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

They have continued with the prevention procedures (such as crew serving food in the buffet, no salt shakers on tables, etc).

But we have not noticed any cases of illness, nor know of anyone that has gotten ill.

The Captain announced the continuation of the procedures halfway through the cruise and encouraged everyone to follow reduction procedures.

So while there may be some cases it does not appear to be major. It seems to be more a matter of prevention and limiting the number then a crisis response.

According to the present NOAA marine forecast for Galveston Bay there should be no fog tonight, tomorrow or Sunday, and winds should be low as well. Here is the forecast from their website:

GALVESTON BAY-

938 AM CST FRI JAN 17 2014

.REST OF TODAY...NORTH WINDS 10 TO 15 KNOTS. BAY WATERS SLIGHTLY

CHOPPY.

.TONIGHT...NORTHEAST WINDS 5 TO 10 KNOTS BECOMING EAST AFTER

MIDNIGHT. BAY WATERS SMOOTH.

.SATURDAY...SOUTHEAST WINDS 5 TO 10 KNOTS BECOMING SOUTH IN THE

AFTERNOON. BAY WATERS SMOOTH BECOMING SMOOTH TO SLIGHTLY CHOPPY

IN THE AFTERNOON.

.SATURDAY NIGHT...SOUTHWEST WINDS 5 TO 10 KNOTS BECOMING WEST

AFTER MIDNIGHT. BAY WATERS SMOOTH.

.SUNDAY...WEST WINDS AROUND 5 KNOTS BECOMING SOUTH IN THE

AFTERNOON. BAY WATERS SMOOTH.

.SUNDAY NIGHT...SOUTH WINDS 5 TO 10 KNOTS. BAY WATERS SMOOTH.

SO hopefully the only delay will be the 2 hours for the deep cleaning of the ship.

January/February and early March are peak flu and norovirus outbreaks everywhere. Not surprised that this happening now.Texas was identified just today as a high outbreak area for the flu and norovirus. It will not be any better in Ft. Lauderdale/Miami I would guess.

Flu outbreaks where I work are really escalating and I was exposed on Thursday to a colleague who is quite ill with the flu and her symptoms started late Thursday. I started on Tamiflu yesterday in the hopes of staying healthy but I will not travel if I get sick.(my sister has asthma and I will not risk her or anyone else's health just to cruise) Thank goodness for travel insurance!

Just off today, the cruise was great, bay port is nice, but the noro is running rampant through the ship still. I believe it's running among the crew, additionally several shows cancelled, the magician was cancelled, and they brought on a comedian and juggling act, Rootberry. Overall the cruise was ok, but we had to work hard to make it enjoyable. Very unorganized overall.

I was told from a good source that the crew had not been affected yet. They were at "level red"with twice a day cleaning and no self serve at the buffet. There were 20 people believed to have norovirus. There was a cruiser sick in one of the bathroom outside of the Coral dining room. They shut it down and crew in hazmat suits cleaned it. Try not to use the public bathrooms.