Plastic Surgery In Port Of Call

Freckles83

I hate to sound harsh but if they were that dumb that they had elective surgeries performed overseas, they deserved what happened to them. I find it very difficult if not impossible to feel sorry for them.

DON

Why is is "dumb" to consider elective surgery overseas (although not as OP suggsted). Believe it or not, certain other countries have at least as good, if not better, physicians, facilities, and procedures as has the U.S. Contrary to the mistaken belief of many Americans, we are not the only country who has excellent medical care.

Why is is "dumb" to consider elective surgery overseas (although not as OP suggsted). Believe it or not, certain other countries have at least as good, if not better, physicians, facilities, and procedures as has the U.S. Contrary to the mistaken belief of many Americans, we are not the only country who has excellent medical care.

Both my wife and I have used overseas medical services. Our care was better than the care that we would have gotten in the US. I totally agree with you that the US is not the only country in the world with excellent medical care although I would add that I question how excellent or even good it really is. In many respects, we are behind almost all of the 1st world countries, many of the 2nd world countries and probably some of the 3d world countries.

However, no matter how good your surgeon or physician is, every procedure has a risk of complications. Do you want to suffer the complications back on the ship perhaps in the middle of the ocean with the only physician being the ship doctor who does not have your records and can not talk to the physician who performed the procedure or do you want to suffer your complications back home? I doubt it.

Many people choose to go overseas for medical treatment because it is excellent and significantly cheaper. In fact some medical plans make this an option for their insured patients to reduce the cost of co pays. However, people do not fly in the day of the surgery, have it performed, and fly out the next day.

You totally misinterpreted what I said.

DON

Both my wife and I have used overseas medical services. Our care was better than the care that we would have gotten in the US. I totally agree with you that the US is not the only country in the world with excellent medical care although I would add that I question how excellent or even good it really is. In many respects, we are behind almost all of the 1st world countries, many of the 2nd world countries and probably some of the 3d world countries.

However, no matter how good your surgeon or physician is, every procedure has a risk of complications. Do you want to suffer the complications back on the ship perhaps in the middle of the ocean with the only physician being the ship doctor who does not have your records and can not talk to the physician who performed the procedure or do you want to suffer your complications back home? I doubt it.

Many people choose to go overseas for medical treatment because it is excellent and significantly cheaper. In fact some medical plans make this an option for their insured patients to reduce the cost of co pays. However, people do not fly in the day of the surgery, have it performed, and fly out the next day.

You totally misinterpreted what I said.

DON

I agree with you 100%. Apparently I misread your first point, in which I thought you were scoffing at all medical care outside the U.S. My apologies.

We stayed in a B&B in San jose, Costa Rica for several days. We were surprised to learn that most of the guests at this B&B were actually there for medical tourism- and not just for cosmetic surgery.

One guest told us that it was a money issue-she could not afford to have the procedure done at home. I guess she did not have any insurance.