Plastic Surgery In Port Of Call

Freckles83

The beauty of life is that we have the ability to make choices. If someone wants some "prettying" done, go for it. Do your research and know the risks associated with undergoing surgery in a foreign country. It may not be my choice (I like to convalesce in my own bed), but others may prefer the lower cost, etc. To each his or her own - just as long as you're happy with the result!:D

I think it was the 'novel' concept of plastic surgery or botox etc as a 'shore excursion' caught some of us off guard. It isn't your usual activity for a day in port. :)

I don't think anyone was making a judgment about someone having any cosmetic procedure they want done but rather about having it done between 9 A.M. and 3:30 P.M. in order to be back on board the ship in time to sail. What if your procedure is delayed and you haven't fully recovered enough to make your way back to the ship? Too many 'what if's' to make it a comfortable concept for many of us.

If it appeals to someone and they have the courage, go for it. It's your body and your choice. All best wishes......

Edited by sail7seas

Botox injections are a quick procedure with patients able to resume normal activities immediately. If done by a skilled physician, risks should be minimal. I am surprised that Botox injection shore excursions are not offered and that ships don't offer them onboard. There must not be much profit in the procedure.

Not true necessarily.... I was on a ship where a passenger left for setting and surgery on broken leg, and returned to the ship in time to sail away with us... and I know of others who have returned post surgery. It depends on the nature of the surgery ...

Susan

Was that perhaps on the QE2 2007 World Cruise? The person with the broken foot/ankle, who had day surgery in Chile and returned to complete the cruise? EM

OT: Thanks! Yes, that's our Bichon Frise. His name is Chewbacca, but we call him Chewie. He is eight years old. That pic is from when he was younger. He is the perfect dog for us. VERY low energy!!!

Robin

They are the best. Ours was 14 when he died last month :( & was lovely until the end. Although Murphy was very high energy lol, always doing the blitz.

Ps sorry for derailing the thread.

I seem to remember RCCL's spa offering botox, etc. on the ship.

I've had juvaderm, botox, laser peels near where I live, and had really good results with all of them.

I really like juvaderm, because it fills the wrinkle in, moves the skin out, and for deep wrinkles, while the juvaderm slowly fades you can use regular home micro-abrasion products to keep the surface of the skin smoother. I had really deep and long frown lines between my eyes, got juvaderm to fill them in, and after 3 years I have very small ones now.

I'm thinking I might get some botox if they offer it on my next cruises.

Edited by pcur

Canadians who have money may choose to head south across the border for more immediate attention that they can pay for. As opposed to waiting for the procedure to be done through our free healthcare.

Freckles, I know you didn't really mean FREE because we do pay for our healthcare, just not out of pocket at the time of the surgery, etc. Our health care comes out of our higher taxes but we, in Canada, will never go bankrupt paying for personal health care. We got that covered. Please understand, I love our system. My husband just had knee replacement and I didn't cost us a cent extra, not the hospital stay, not the physiotherapy sessions, nothing. I'll pay my higher taxes to have that, thank you very much.

Back to the OP - I would never have any type of treatment as part of a shore excursion. too many things can go wrong, think MRSA or C-Difficile for a start, or even just a simple infection needing more treatment.

I really don't think that the question is whether or not you should have elective surgery in a foreign port while on a cruise. That would be up to the individual and my opinion on the matter means nothing. (Heck, I thought my friend was nuts when she got a tattoo in Mexico!) HOWEVER, I very seriously doubt that the cruise line would allow a passenger who had surgery to reboard. A broken leg is one thing. A surgical procedure, like a tummy tuck or even minor facial cosmetic surgery requires follow up care, and from what I've seen, can be very painful. No cruise line would want to take responsibility for even simple post-op complications. Plus, why pay so much for a cruise to spend it in bed?

On my last cruise a gentleman had a bad cough and they suggested he go for an xray in Grand Turk. He got the OK to go back to the ship, but the ship decided they didn't want to risk it, so they sent him back to the hospital.

I'm not even sure if insurance would cover the loss if you were sent off the ship because of an elective surgery. I know they wouldn't for regular surgery. Anyway, that's my 2 cents.

Maureen

Freckles, I know you didn't really mean FREE because we do pay for our healthcare, just not out of pocket at the time of the surgery, etc. Our health care comes out of our higher taxes but we, in Canada, will never go bankrupt paying for personal health care. We got that covered. Please understand, I love our system. My husband just had knee replacement and I didn't cost us a cent extra, not the hospital stay, not the physiotherapy sessions, nothing. I'll pay my higher taxes to have that, thank you very much.

You're right its not exactly free.. but as with you i wouldn't change that for a thing. I would be walking around with bubble wrap around me if it wasn't for our healthcare system :p

You're right its not exactly free.. but as with you i wouldn't change that for a thing. I would be walking around with bubble wrap around me if it wasn't for our healthcare system :p

I know it's off track but for the sake of clarity, I had two Open Heart Surgeries in four years and both times left one of the top five heart center hospitals in the U.S. with no bill. We had good insurance. :) Thankfully.

I agree with the posters who have commented the ship likely would not welcome anyone back aboard who had day surgery in port. I know someone would say 'how would they know' but the bandages/swelling/bruises on their face could be the first clue. :)

Edited by sail7seas

I had two total hip replacements 4 months apart, and two rehab stays in another hospital for a week with each. I had no bill for any of that and no bill for all the out patient PT I had after each surgery. I have Medicare insurance and a supplement from the City of New York where I taught for 10 years. Everything was covered.

It's amazing how some people just want to save a buck:rolleyes:

So you are completely unaware of how many US residents travel to Canada and Mexico for medical procedures. It's not a buck, it thousands of dollars.

OP- I am sure not on a cruise but land vacations or repeat trips across the board. I am planning on doing my plastic surgery here in the US. My man made must be made in the US but could be by the way of China.

Edited by Blk_Amish

So you are completely unaware of how many US residents travel to Canada and Mexico for medical procedures. It's not a buck, it thousands of dollars.

OP- I am sure not on a cruise but land vacations or repeat trips across the board. I am planning on doing my plastic surgery here in the US. My man made must be made in the US but could be by the way of China.

Apparently you have never heard the expression "just to save a buck" and obviously you never read post #18:rolleyes:

Botox injections are a quick procedure with patients able to resume normal activities immediately. If done by a skilled physician, risks should be minimal. I am surprised that Botox injection shore excursions are not offered and that ships don't offer them onboard. There must not be much profit in the procedure.

Maybe HAL learned their lesson with their teeth whitening program that was offered a while ago. I'm not sure if it's still offered in the spa. My husband was working as a dentist on HAL when they first started the program. Personally, he thought that people who did this while on board could be in for big problems when they left the ship. Sometimes nerves in the teeth were bothered by the process. What happens when you do this on board and then go home and have no dentist to fix it?

what is this in regards to?

i gotta say i'm kinda surprised at the amount of people who think every other country but the US is some kind of third world dumpster when it comes to surgery. I realize everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but c'mon .. its kind of ignorant.

You seem to be misunderstanding all of the responses.. I've read all the posts & not one poster said or intimated that Surgery outside of the U.S. is third world.. The previous posters are not ignorant, but are laying out the facts which you obviously don't agree with!

All most previous posters said was...Any kind of plastic surgery must have a recovery period & follow up care, which you could not obtain on the ship.. If your surgery requires General Anesthesia, how long would it take for the patient to recover from it in order to get back to the ship by 3:30 or 4 P.M.?

In addition many asked what you would do in case of an infection, or bleeding which can happen post surgery even in the U.S. & Canada.. I also don't believe that any MD in any country would perform plastic surgery while you are in a port without a plan for follow up care ..

IMO the idea of having Surgery (with a knife) in a 6 hour period is irrational & obviously not well thought out! However, if you are talking about Botox & other non-surgical procedures, then one might be able to have them done while in port.

Betty

Apparently you have never heard the expression "just to save a buck" and obviously you never read post #18:rolleyes:

Oh, I was suppose to read other post to understand this . I will go back and read that post, hopefully yours this will make. more sense, with that talk of a buck when I am thinking thousands.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Forums mobile app

Oh, I was suppose to read other post to understand this . I will go back and read that post, hopefully yours this will make. more sense, with that talk of a buck when I am thinking thousands.

It is meant figuratively..... not literally.

It is meant figuratively..... not literally.

I know but bad if not deadly procedures occur in the US. Trust me, it's the risk that keeps me on the thread mill. I have investigated but the worse case are reported my people with friends

Edited by Blk_Amish

On our Princess Med cruise last summer, they were offering "injections" of fillers and Botox in the spa. Did not check out prices, but assume they were not a bargain, as most spa treatments are regular US prices or higher.

They are the best. Ours was 14 when he died last month :( & was lovely until the end. Although Murphy was very high energy lol, always doing the blitz.

Ps sorry for derailing the thread.

More OT:

I am sorry for the loss of your pup. It is so hard when they go. He actually is my daughter's but she just barely moved out on her own. Now I do doggy-day-care! Chewie gets anxious when he's left alone and will lick his skin off! But he seems to enjoy his double life.

He still blitzes every night when my daughter comes to get him. Such a funny thing, but I haven't met a Bichon owner yet whose pup does not do it.

Robin