Plastic Surgery In Port Of Call

Freckles83

Ignoring the item being about plastic surgery It is any surgery that is important We had friends who were needing to have bad boil in their nether regions lanced in a hospital in Scotland while on a cruise. This was a recommendation from the ships doctor.

They had to leave the ship because the doctor on board said that they did not have facilities in case of post surgery problems and they would not allow them back Luckily they only had the trip to Southampton still to do and had loads of friends to stay with in England so no problem for them Going by this No ship will I believe accept a post surgery patient back on board. I am not of course talking about spraining or break a foot etc as this is different

No, it does.

what is this in regards to?

i gotta say i'm kinda surprised at the amount of people who think every other country but the US is some kind of third world dumpster when it comes to surgery. I realize everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but c'mon .. its kind of ignorant.

Would I do it? NO, but Costa Rica has some highly regarded "medical tourism" facilities as does India and at least one country in SE Asia. It does not interest me, but I have known folks who did have plastic surgery done overseas, and their physicians medically trained in the US. However, their surgery was a package deal where they had to remain in the country for a certain amount of time after the surgery. In at least some cases, there is actuality a hotel attached to the hospital and outpatient clinic where they stay post surgery. The price they paid for the surgery included a several week stay at the related hotel, with meals. That and their airfare were about 1/2 of the cost at home for the same procedures.

Of course many people do not tell they did this, but simply say they went for a vacation. The two women I knew the best that did this had lovely outcomes, barely visible scars etc. They went to Costa Rica and one had excess skin removed from her arms and one in the abdominal area. Both were health care providers themselves who did a great deal of research and consulting before making their decisions.

A few years ago when on a cruise stopping in Cochcin, India we went by such a complex, right on the beach, very new and beautiful looking from the outside. One could even take home pictures of the Resort they stayed at and you would never know.

Subsequently when traveling I met a young woman whose husband was an architect who worked for an American firm designing such hotel/hospital complexes in South East Asia. He had done several and had a number more on his waiting list.

Now, I AM NOT recommending doing this, no way. However, I did want to point out that it is a far bigger business than most of us ever imagined. The facility we drove past in India must have had close to 100 patient rooms. Of course, how many were full ?????

We are really puzzled by the OPs post. Going to another country for a medical procedure (including plastic surgery) is not unusual. But expecting to get plastic surgery during a short (one or two day) port stop is totally ridiculous. Surgery is surgery (I know that sounds a bit weird) and the follow-up care can be almost as important as the actual procedure. Even simple plastic surgery needs follow-up care, evaluation for potential infection, removal of sutures, etc. If you want to have a procedure outside of Canada (our Canadian friends keep telling us that medical care is so good in Canada nobody would want to do this) then by all means take yourself to a place (and physician) that can do your bidding at a lower cost. But allow yourself enough time for proper pre and post-op care/evaluation.

Hank

Going by this No ship will I believe accept a post surgery patient back on board. I am not of course talking about spraining or break a foot etc as this is different

Not true necessarily.... I was on a ship where a passenger left for setting and surgery on broken leg, and returned to the ship in time to sail away with us... and I know of others who have returned post surgery. It depends on the nature of the surgery ...

Susan

I was listening to a radio program last Sunday and the discussion as about a US citizen who was in Canada for a holiday in Nova Scotia (I believe). He hurt his knee, I believe and immediate surgery was necessary. He had it done and because he didn't have insurance paid around 2500. That included the surgery, the hospital stay etc. he got back home and saw his doctor who said that the work was fantastic. He checked out what the cost would have been in the US and found out that it would have been 20,000 plus. The world is a big place, with great universities that train expert doctors....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just because a facility is beautiful on the outside does not guarantee that the work inside will be great or without post surgical complications. Same goes for any procedure in the US. But if you're on board a cruise ship, and something goes wrong after a one day port stop for surgery, you don't have the availability of a follow up by the surgeon. And, there is lots that can go wrong.

While you all say you have never heard of anyone doing this, may I add that most people who have had plastic surgery do not usually talk about it-except to those near and dear to them, and sometimes not even to them.

Terri

Yea, this is just odd... and previous poster who shared her own face lift story. Geeeee

Well, the traffic to US from Canada for surgery is telling

see i find that really interesting. It would cost more money for a canadian to go into the states to have a procedure with the currency exchange. With no shortage of good doctors in Canada the only reason I could see someone going to the states would be 1. They want a specific surgeon (maybe they saw them on tv/were recommended by a friend) to operate on them or 2. The wait time in Canada might be longer. Not so much with elective surgery but with other procedures, Canadians who have money may choose to head south across the border for more immediate attention that they can pay for. As opposed to waiting for the procedure to be done through our free healthcare.

Yea, this is just odd... and previous poster who shared her own face lift story. Geeeee

And your problem is????? I was simply explaining a possible pitfall of having surgery as a shore excursion. There is no shame in having plastic surgery.

I have a feeling we have met before.

see i find that really interesting. It would cost more money for a canadian to go into the states to have a procedure with the currency exchange. With no shortage of good doctors in Canada the only reason I could see someone going to the states would be 1. They want a specific surgeon (maybe they saw them on tv/were recommended by a friend) to operate on them or 2. The wait time in Canada might be longer. Not so much with elective surgery but with other procedures, Canadians who have money may choose to head south across the border for more immediate attention that they can pay for. As opposed to waiting for the procedure to be done through our free healthcare.

Exactly. The wait times in Canada are stupid long.

Most cosmetic surgeries are no longer covered in Canada. I'm not sure, but I doubt a facelift or breast augmentation are covered.

And your problem is????? I was simply explaining a possible pitfall of having surgery as a shore excursion. There is no shame in having plastic surgery.

I have a feeling we have met before.

don't worry sapper, the ignorance here is plentiful :D you must be such a vain terrible person for having a facelift! and then for talking about it?? how dare you!! <sarcasm just in case it wasn't obvious>

Most cosmetic surgeries are no longer covered in Canada. I'm not sure, but I doubt a facelift or breast augmentation are covered.

no they wouldn't be covered for the most part, although you can claim them on your tax return and get money back. My $7000 BA only ended up costing me $5700 after my return :D

i was referring to non-elective surgeries near the end of that post

no they wouldn't be covered for the most part, although you can claim them on your tax return and get money back. My $7000 BA only ended up costing me $5700 after my return :D

The tax loophole for claiming the cost of cosmetic surgeries was closed a few years ago. They are no longer deductible, although they once were. And I honestly don't think cosmetic surgeries should be deductible.

Edited by sapper1

don't worry sapper, the ignorance here is plentiful :D you must be such a vain terrible person for having a facelift! and then for talking about it?? how dare you!! <sarcasm just in case it wasn't obvious>

LOL. I've been called worse. :D

Robin, is that a picture of your pup? So cute.

OT: Thanks! Yes, that's our Bichon Frise. His name is Chewbacca, but we call him Chewie. He is eight years old. That pic is from when he was younger. He is the perfect dog for us. VERY low energy!!!

Robin

That being said just because its a medical procedure in another country doesn't mean that their doctors are any less educated or talented than those in North America :roll eyes:

Nobody actually said that. The objections were about the risks taken by having something done on a one-day shore stop with no follow-up, plus a story about some people who got post-op infections.

And of course, depending on the country, the doctors MAY be less educated than they are in North America.

Some of them are covered if deemed a necessity or health issue.

If a person had done their homework about who was performing the procedure, then I think any botox, juvaderm, light laser work, or light chemical peel could easily be performed in port. I've had all these done here at home and gone about my business after.

Botox and juvaderm caused some minor bruising from the needles, but that's about it.

I could see someone going for these procedures, or maybe a spider vein laser treatment. Nothing that requires a knife, though.

Edited by pcur

If a person had done their homework about who was performing the procedure, then I think any botox, juvaderm, light laser work, or light chemical peel could easily be performed in port. I've had all these done here at home and gone about my business after.

Botox and juvaderm caused some minor bruising from the needles, but that's about it.

I could see someone going for these procedures, or maybe a spider vein laser treatment. Nothing that requires a knife, though.

This last line, that I underlined, really sums it up for me. I would love to give Juvaderm a try, but have the typical jitters about it. I think if a person did some research and had references from the many Canadian and US citizens living in Costa Rica, one could feel confident of finding a qualified professional who offers those services. But as far as a facelift (again, would love to try this, those Lifestyle Life commercials really catch my attention) I think I would want to be close to home. I told my husband recently that I am declaring 2014 my year of cosmetic procedures. Now I just need to work up the courage. :)

Edited by LSEA

This last line, that I underlined, really sums it up for me. I would love to give Juvaderm a try, but have the typical jitters about it. I think if a person did some research and had references from the many Canadian and US citizens living in Costa Rica, one could feel confident of finding a qualified professional who offers those services. But as far as a facelift (again, would love to try this, those Lifestyle Life commercials really catch my attention) I think I would want to be close to home.

Mine, too. I even called for the brochure at one time. But I need knee replacement and probably shoulder before considering something not necessary!