Ruby Princess (Jan 13-18, 2014) Photo Review

WinksCruises

Atrium2.jpg

Looking up at the ceiling in the atrium.

Quick question, you said you can carry your own bags off the ship. (in the past I always had to leave them out the night before) Well, if so, can I get a 10am flight out of Fort Lauderdale? Would that be enough time?
Yes, they did offer the carry your own bags off the ship option. But while it's true you can sign up for early walk-off (disembarking as early as 7:15am), we've heard that getting through customs can be a crap shoot a Port Everglades. It can take an hour or more on a bad day. Couple that with a late ship clearance and you might have trouble making a 10am flight, especially if it's a high volume day like Saturday or Sunday. We saw it can even take time just getting a cab once you've successfully cleared re-entry!

That said, your disembarkation might go like clockwork and you could be twiddling your thumbs at an FLL gate by 8:30am! Who can say? It's hard to predict how circumstances will play out. You'll have to assess your own tolerance to risk... but I probably wouldn't do it, though.

What are you using as a camera, lens, and set up as your photos are much wider then most others?
As I mentioned earlier, the camera was a Nikon D90. I used both an 18-105mm standard zoom lens and a Tokina 11-16mm super wide angle lens. The wide angle is the most fun to play with...

ShipLife_08.jpg

Ruby Princess anchored off Princess Cays.

The camera used on this trip was a Nikon D-90 that I outfitted with a super wide angle lens most of the time. That’s what deserves all the credit for the dramatic shots, not the doofus behind the lens!

Thanks for taking the time to write a review and including the great photos. I love the idea of using the wide angle lens for shipboard pictures and have made a note to try it on my upcoming cruises.

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...

I recently finished "Infinite Jest". Four months ago I had never heard of DFW. I only decided to read IJ because I was interested in Thomas Pynchon (I have since read TP's first three books).

Once I got used to let's say "strangeness" of the book, it rolled right along, though I missed a few crucial connections. But IJ is not what I would read for fun sitting by the pool. In fact the print version is too large to take on a ship!

So if you had never read IJ and wanted to tackle it on a vacation, I applaud you. I doubt though any cruise ship library would carry it. Or maybe you just wanted to reread parts of it.

I ran across your post because I bought the book that contains DFW's essay about his experience on a cruise, and wanted to see what people on these boards would say about it.

Hope you had a good vacation!