Shore Excursions -- Book through NCL or on your own?

Yo Adrienne

We will be on an Alaskan cruise this spring and have been looking at shore excursions on the NCL website. We've also been looking at various other excursions by doing searches on the web ourselves...(looking at those excursions that are specifically in the ports we'll visit--and with plenty of time on either side for disembarkation and return times to the ship).

Just wondering...when you are booking shore excursions, do you limit yourself only to what the cruiseline offers? Or do you go through others? What have your experiences been in doing both...?

Any and all thoughts are appreciated...thanks.:)

I don't usually bother with excursions at all, we usually just go on our own, unless we want to do something which can't easily be done without a guide (or Airplane, boat etc).

A lot of the Things you can do in Alaska do fall within that category, so we booked excursions at Juneau, Ketchikan and Skagway last year. We did them all through independent operators, and I believe that is much better than the NCL ones in Alaska. We had more time, saw more, were on smaller boats etc, and the cost was about the same.

Don't be put off about scare stories about missing ships. That is a risk if you are wandering off by yourself, but is extremely rare for organised tours (in fact I've never heard of it happening). These tour just can't afford to have anyone miss the ship. If something extraordinary happens and they don't get you back then they will look after you, but the risk is so low to be negligible.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You should visit the Alaska ports of call board for lots of info on things to do. We did one NCL excursion on our Alaska trip...the boat that gets up close and personal with Sawyer Glacier. Otherwise we did our own thing...salmon fishing, river rafting, sightseeing, etc.

Thank you all for the great insights...! And thanks so much for the suggestion of going to the Alaska Forum--I didn't realize there was one...! :)

Have any of you done the Ocean Raft adventure in Skagway--the high speed zodiac...? If so, what did you think...?

Thanks again...! :)

We've done it both ways as well and it depends on what is offered, the chance of not getting back to the ship on time and the operators reputation. I always check them out thoroughly. You will love Alaska!! :D

I have only ever gone on excursions booked through the cruise line. This time, we are sailing on the NCL Epic on March 16. I keep hearing about a cool beach resort in Costa Maya, but apparently the excursion is all booked up. I am hoping we can still check out that resort on our own. Any tips for that appreciated. We will have two young children with us and do not want to get lost or not make it back to the ship in time, which is why we like to go through cruise line arranged excursions.

We will be on an Alaskan cruise this spring and have been looking at shore excursions on the NCL website. We've also been looking at various other excursions by doing searches on the web ourselves...(looking at those excursions that are specifically in the ports we'll visit--and with plenty of time on either side for disembarkation and return times to the ship).

Just wondering...when you are booking shore excursions, do you limit yourself only to what the cruiseline offers? Or do you go through others? What have your experiences been in doing both...?

Any and all thoughts are appreciated...thanks.:)

It depends on the country --- for example, when in Bogota or Cartagena, please keep your hands inside the ride, and book with the ship. :)

But you'll be in Alaska...you'll be fine on your own, and you'll be saving money too. I say on your particular cruise, live it up and go for it...have fun!

I have only ever gone on excursions booked through the cruise line. This time, we are sailing on the NCL Epic on March 16. I keep hearing about a cool beach resort in Costa Maya, but apparently the excursion is all booked up. I am hoping we can still check out that resort on our own. Any tips for that appreciated. We will have two young children with us and do not want to get lost or not make it back to the ship in time, which is why we like to go through cruise line arranged excursions.

There will be a taxi stand with the prices listed, if you are going to the resort they will call a taxi for you to take you back. You can read all about the resorts on Costa Maya on the PORTS OF CALL boards. Lots of information and pictures of where to go.