Not allowed to board?

IMKTDQT810

Being denied boarding for failure to produce paperwork could be the least of her problem. Judges have been known to shred parents who move children across state lines much less borders without clearance. If an ex is that vindictive, she is just handing him ammunition.

There are a lot of incorrect posts in this thread.

I took the "get an attorney" route and, although costly, it gave me piece of mind. Although Carnival has never asked me for the notarized letter, I have been asked for it EVERY time we have been through airport customs.

There are a lot of incorrect posts in this thread.

I took the "get an attorney" route and, although costly, it gave me piece of mind. Although Carnival has never asked me for the notarized letter, I have been asked for it EVERY time we have been through airport customs.

Airport customs? Where were you flying to/from? I have never been asked for any such thing when flying with my kids. Even going to/from Cozumel via plane. All we needed were our Birth Certificates. That was the December before the new law went into effect that you needed a Passport to fly to/from Mexico.

We have since then gotten Passports. But my kids have even flown by themselves across country to see their relatives. And when they were unaccompanied minors, I was never asked any type of marital situation when filling out the paperwork for that. Much less going anywhere else on vacation by air.

My husband was divorce from his wife. In order for us to take his daughter onboard you have to have a consent form motorized from the other Parent. The birth Certificate will show the parents names. Carnival and all cruise lines do this to protect Parents taking children out of the Country. Even if they had a passport they still need the consent form.

Airport customs? Where were you flying to/from? I have never been asked for any such thing when flying with my kids. Even going to/from Cozumel via plane. All we needed were our Birth Certificates. That was the December before the new law went into effect that you needed a Passport to fly to/from Mexico.

We have since then gotten Passports. But my kids have even flown by themselves across country to see their relatives. And when they were unaccompanied minors, I was never asked any type of marital situation when filling out the paperwork for that. Much less going anywhere else on vacation by air.

FWIW, I have seen someone denied at the Delta ticket counter for a flight from Dulles to Cancun. So it does happen. How frequently? Who knows?

My husband was divorce from his wife. In order for us to take his daughter onboard you have to have a consent form motorized from the other Parent. The birth Certificate will show the parents names. Carnival and all cruise lines do this to protect Parents taking children out of the Country. Even if they had a passport they still need the consent form.

It is recommended but not required.

Neither Carnival nor Celebrity asked me for any such letter in 9 cruises with my kids. Sometimes I had it with me, sometimes I didn't. I always do bring their BCs and mine along with my Marriage License to show that I am in fact their mother. All this on top of our Passports. The BCs and ML stay tucked away in an envelope in the zippered up back part of my travel folder and I only bring out our Passports. Never needed the BCs and ML but me being a freak about documentation, I always carry it with me. And me being the way I am, if I needed the letter, I would be sure to have it every time. But again, it is not required for closed looped cruises so I don't.

People will believe what they want to believe and I can keep typing until my little fingers fall off and never convince them, so I won't spend anymore time on this subject. But, again, look on Carnival's website for the answer in black and white. Recommended. Not required.

FWIW, I have seen someone denied at the Delta ticket counter for a flight from Dulles to Cancun. So it does happen. How frequently? Who knows?

Guess we got lucky then. I would be sure to have it when flying from here on out. Not that I plan on flying to Mexico anytime soon. My one son will be 18 next month and my younger one is 15 and he hates flying. It's like pulling teeth to get him on a plane to go cruising! LOL!

She does have joint custody (sorry if I put full legal) they live with her full time and would only got visit him 1x week and 1 weekend a month...but they have not seen him in a few months.

She has their BC and the 17 yr old got her passport last year. I am afraid she does not have the "non-custodial parent consent". Yeah, I hope a judge can issue then an order so they can book and stop stressing.

There is custodial and physical. She needs to know if she has both. If she does, then he doesn't need to sign anything, just notify him in writing usually 90 days before departure that they plan on leaving the country. Each state has a different timeline of when it needs to be in writing before departure.

This is an interesting topic. I am not divorced. But if for some reason I am travelling with my kids but my wife cannot go, do I need a letter too? If it does not apply to married couple, how do they (cruise lines, airports) know if the parents are still married?

Yep you do.... A notarized letter is always a good idea.

My theory is that if you have that letter they may never ask for it,but if you don't have it you know for sure your going to need it!

Check with the cruise line and search CC there are lots of threads about this issue.

Overall there is pretty good information here.

I took my 10 yo niece on a cruise with just her

BC. We did visit Mexico, and there were no problems.

However we were asked for the Notarized permission

when we first boarded. My point is if you have the

Notarized paperwork, they probably will not ask for it.

However, if you do not have it, they will

absolutley ask for it.

Now even if you end up not cruising and have insurance

this will not be covered. You will be told you were responsible

for having all the correct paperwork, the cruise line will not

be at fault.

Bottom line do what you have to do to get that Notarized

permission slip!!

Good luck, be sure to let us know how it all works out..

I think that the information here is just enough to tell an intelligent person (and I think CC members are smart) that there are potential issues when traveling with children....

Everyone's circumstances are different and you are best advised to consult the proper authorities (Cruiseline, US Government, Governments of countries to be visited and yes sometimes an attorney)

Lastly, do NOT believe everything you are told on CC or by a CSR of the Cruiseline.... Double check and triple check. Remember that the CSR you spoke with on the phone does not have $$$$ at risk nor will the check in folks at the dock care one bit what info you got on the phone 90 days ago!!

Just my two cents!

I'm afraid I don't get it. If she has custody, she can get a passport for her kid. I never had any problem getting my DD's passport renewed and never had anyone question us when we cruised.

I live in New Jersey, not sure if it is all over or just here but my ex had to meet me at the Clerk's office when we renewed my minor son's passport. When we first applied for it, my ex lived out of state so they gave me a form he needed to have signed and notarized. That was the only way I could obtain a passport for my son.

Just sharing my info which is earned from experience.

My scenario... two boys, I have custody. They actually have their dad's last name whereas I went back to maiden name (potential red flag raiser).

Traveled with their BC (which obviously shows that I am their mother - but still, potential red flag as they have different last name).

We have taken many cruises from the time they were in grade school until now (about 8 cruises over 12 years)...

First 5 trips or so, just traveled with BC, no letter whatsoever.

Before 6 trip I got passports for them. AND YES, YOU DO NEED THE NONCUSTODIAL'S APPROVAL AND PRESENCE TO OBTAIN PASSPORT.

Since then, traveled with passport and notarized letter. Again, no issues and cruiselines NEVER asked for a letter and since they never asked I never showed it... why offer it if they weren't asking for it... I thought I may be looking for trouble?

I am NOT saying that anyone should travel with BC only with children... I am just saying that I knew the potential risk of being stopped when we got to the counter, with or without letter, with or without passport. I knew the possiblity of not being able to board but was never questioned - which is a bit surprising as they have different last names. We've sailed Carnival, RC, Celebrity and Princess... I hope this helps.

Again, as long as you know what the potential is... you can make an educated decision on what you want to do.

I was denied boarding on US Air for a trip to Cancun because I did not have the letter. That is when I found out about the fact that you only need the letter for Mexico if you are debarking there. As in ending your trip.

Unless you are ending your cruise in Mexico, the letter is simply not needed.

If she wants to book now to take advantage of the savings, she should check if trip insurance would cover her in the event she is not able to get the proper documents.

Now this one I know for sure, 100% absolutely,insurance will NOT cover!!!!

Even cancel for any reason has rules and exclusions.

But don't quote me :)

Now this one I know for sure, 100% absolutely,insurance will NOT cover!!!!

Even cancel for any reason has rules and exclusions.

But don't quote me :)

Cancel for any reason is just that and you do not have to provide a reason. However, most cancel for any reason policies only refund 75 -80% of the fare. The way people get into trouble is that they usually have a requirement that the trip is cancelled 2 days before departure, or the cancel for any reason portion is not valid. Regular travel insurance without the cancel for any reason rider DOES NOT cover failure to have proper documentation.

We have witnessed a 16 year old being denied entrance to Mexico at the Immigration booth in Cancun. She was with her mother and step-father, but did not have the letter. There were tears and recriminations all around, but the Mexican Authorities would not budge. He wanted to know what flight she was on and said that the airline would be fined and would have to transport the girl back to the US on the next flight out. The parents were free to stay in Mexico, but the girl was detained for deportation. Of course they all stayed together and the last we saw them they were sitting in the officials office crying.

We have witnessed a family denied boarding in Galveston on the Mariner of the Seas (RCCL) because the single mother did not have either a death certificate for her ex or the permission letter. RCCL tends to be stricter about this.

Princess has a policy now that if a single parent is traveling with minors they ALL have to have a passport. I am surprised that the rest of the Carnival family of cruise lines have not implemented this rule. The following is directly off their website. Unfortunately, we saw this being enforced in December when we boarded in Houston. The Mom had a passport, but did not have one for either of her kids. They were denied boarding. There were tears and the Mom was cautioned by the police to cut out the curse words or she would be arrested for disorderly conduct. It was quite a scene.

PASSPORT REQUIREMENT WHEN MINORS TRAVEL WITH ONE ADULT ON VOYAGES GOVERNED BY THE U.S. WESTERN HEMISPHERE TRAVEL INITIATIVE (includes travel within BERMUDA, CANADA, CARIBBEAN, HAWAII, MEXICO, PANAMA CANAL, UNITED STATES) When minors are traveling with only one adult 21 years of age or older, Princess requires that all passengers must be in possession of a valid passport. We have implemented this requirement because we want to ensure that your party remains together should an emergency arise that requires one or more in your party to be disembarked in a non-U.S. port. We cannot guarantee that all members of your party will be allowed to disembark with just a WHTI-compliant document or birth certificate. Failure to present a valid passport for all passengers traveling together will result in denial of boarding without refund of the the cruise or cruisetour fare.

Edited by DebJ14

I am going through the same thing right now. My ex refuses to sign for passports and consent form. We have mediation next week for other issues and if he still won't sign we go to court the following week to have a judge make him. I heard judge could sign a form documenting refusal and courts are aware of travel. I hope this process runs smooth we leave at the end of March!

Edited by jenanderic

I am going through the same thing right now. My ex refuses to sign for passports and consent form. We have mediation next week for other issues and if he still won't sign we go to court the following week to have a judge make him. I heard judge could sign a form documenting refusal and courts are aware of travel. I hope this process runs smooth we leave at the end of March!

Oh dear bring all the forms you need signed to court with you so the judge can "order" him to sign the permission letter right there in court!!!

Good luck to you! And have a great cruise... :)

When my kids were little I did go across the border to the US a couple of times and had the letter with me. One time I was traveling with a friend and her son. I told her to get the letter from her husband (they were married so no problem) and she said that it really wasn't needed. I told her that since I was the one driving she needed to have it before we left. She got it. Guess what??? We got to the border and as soon as the guard saw the kids he asked for the letter. Thank goodness we both had one.

tigercat

I would think that the possibility of being denied boarding due would totally negate the savings the parent would get by booking now rather than waiting until all the paperwork is in place. It seems to me that the rush to book now without the paperwork in place is to take advantage of a current great price. However, there is the possibility of the cruise not taking place at all and that's not a good deal.

Another thing too is that port agents, even their supervisors, and any kind of first-line employees who deal with the public are not always experts on what is recommended and what is required. They do have the power to deny you boarding at the time, even if you have your lawyer on one phone and USCIS on the other phone. People have been denied boarding by the mistake of a cruise line employee who didn't fully understand the fine print of the recommendation or thought that the recommendation was a requirement. We've gone on for 3 pages here over whether or not this is allowed--standing at the dock with your family and your luggage is not a good time to be debating the finer points of whether this is recommended or required.

Best plan of action is to get all paperwork in place, required AND recommended, and THEN book the cruise. If you miss out on a great deal, another will eventually come along or just save up some more money. Not worth the risk IMO.

I can only tell you my experience:

We took my neice with us last year on a cruise. We showed all our passports as we walked through the lines. I had all the paperwork from both her parents saying it was ok for her to go. BUT never once got asked for it.