Formal Night

Edinburghgirl1

I am a first time cruiser and sailing on the Celebrity Reflection to the Eastern Caribbean on the 15th February. Can anyone confirm which nights the formal nights will fall on? Also how formal are they. A friend who is a regular cruiser said that Caribbean cruises where the majority of the passengers are from the US tend to be less formal i.e. no tuxedo or evening dresses compared to the Mediterranean cruises where the passengers tend to go all out in dressing to the nines. Is this correct?

Just need a heads up on what to pack.

I don't think formal nights are anywhere near as formal as they used to be. On my last few cruises, tuxes and evening gowns were seldom seen. Most men on Celebrity seem to wear dark suits, or even a sport coat (usually with a tie but not always.) Ladies are more likely to wear black pants with a sparkly top or a cocktail dress. Of course, this can vary from cruise to cruise, but is a good representation of what the OP can expect.

....... A friend who is a regular cruiser said that Caribbean cruises where the majority of the passengers are from the US tend to be less formal i.e. no tuxedo or evening dresses compared to the Mediterranean cruises where the passengers tend to go all out in dressing to the nines. Is this correct?

I would not go so far as to say no tuxedo or evening dresses, but certainly far fewer of them.

It is only a matter of personal preference, so bring them or not, as you wish. It is not a cause for concern. Some people enjoy dressing up more than others do. You will see a wide range of different styles of dress on formal nights. Enjoy your cruise!

I am a first time cruiser and sailing on the Celebrity Reflection to the Eastern Caribbean on the 15th February. Can anyone confirm which nights the formal nights will fall on? Also how formal are they. A friend who is a regular cruiser said that Caribbean cruises where the majority of the passengers are from the US tend to be less formal i.e. no tuxedo or evening dresses compared to the Mediterranean cruises where the passengers tend to go all out in dressing to the nines. Is this correct?

Your formal nights will be day 2 and 6.

• 2 weeks later...

I've only been on one cruise, but it was fairly recent: a Celebrity cruise to Alaska in August 2013. We saw a handful of tuxedos, a handful of floor-length gowns, mostly suits and ties for the men and knee-to-calf length cocktail style dresses or glittery tops/slacks combinations for the women. A few men were in sports jackets, a few women in "club wear" type dresses (I define that as skimpier than cocktail dresses with more "blng" on them like metal studs).

I wore a vintage cocktail dress with a big, swing-y chiffon skirt one night, and a straight black to-the-floor skirt with a gold lame' jacket the second night. I didn't feel out of place either night, but I did get a lot of comments on my first outfit - a big flashy dress is out of the ordinary. My second outfit was more typical.