Do You Lock Your Suitcase?

rileylewis

Also, thoughts on hard-sided luggage vs. soft-sided? I don't want to go buy luggage I don't really need, and the Navy issued me two perfectly good sea bags, as well as I have two soft-sided hanging bags.

We lock our bags with TSA locks.

Used to take our soft sided luggage but the DW & DDs convinced me we needed new Heys hard luggage. We have had one of them broken or cracked on each of our last three cruises.

We lock our bags with TSA locks.

Used to take our soft sided luggage but the DW & DDs convinced me we needed new Heys hard luggage. We have had one of them broken or cracked on each of our last three cruises.

Hm. That's not good. Heys, I'll have to check luggage retailers and see what's available. If nothing else, Herself has dropped more than a few quid on fancywear, and don't want to see it ripped or stolen. And mess uniform costs a bit to replace, too.

My husband had an iPod stolen from his suitcase after we left the suitcase out the night before. Lock your suitcase for that reason alone.

Any piece of luggage that is out of my sight, I expect to NEVER see again.

Nothing of any value goes into any luggage that is being checked through.

Hm. That's not good. Heys, I'll have to check luggage retailers and see what's available. If nothing else, Herself has dropped more than a few quid on fancywear, and don't want to see it ripped or stolen. And mess uniform costs a bit to replace, too.

The full size Heys weighs in at 12 or 12.5 lbs,

IMO way too heavy to be soooooo weak! :(

Edited by Snorkel Dawg

Nothing valuable goes in our checked baggage. If they want used clothes good for them. All valuables stay under my direct control kinda like Clint Eastwood's logic on Gun Control. "If there is a gun around I want to be in control of it". I keep all valuables in my carry with me at all times carry-on. Never locked one and never had a problem.

It's not necessary to slash anything with a zipper. There's a YouTube video linked earlier in this thread that's very convincing - all it takes is a ballpoint pen. No slashing, boltcutter or TSA Key required.

The trick with the ball point pen only works on nylon zippers. It does not work on metal zippers.

• 2 weeks later...
Our first cruise is coming up in a month! YAY!

I have read in different posts about people locking their suitcases or using zip ties for them. We have never locked our suitcases or anything like that when traveling.

It is important to do this?

We are driving to port, so no need for TSA regulation.... in case that makes a difference.

Thanks!:D

We drive too and yes, we do lock them. If someone wants to steal something in our luggage I know a lock won't stop them but let them work for it.

Beside I still feel that a person won't take time to break a lock to steal something. They will want an easier target so they will target an unlock one to get in and out as fast as they can.

http://www.corporatetravelsafety.com/catalog/triple-lockdown-luggage-lock-p-997.html

The locks in above link are TSA approved and will foul the sneaky 'open your zipper with a pen and zip it back' thieves. If they do open your zipper with a pen they will not be able to close the zipper. Now if the thief happens to carry tools with him/her, he/she can cut the wire, but I'm guessing they will just move on to an easier mark.

In addition to checking luggage at the airport, leaving it to be delivered to you cabin on ship, set it out in the hall by your cabin, leaving it in your hotel room, then of course once checked in most days your luggage is in your room and you are not.

When traveling of course we always have with us all medication and electronics, any jewelery, wallets etc. When we reach the ship/hotel room we aren't going to lug all that stuff around. We put what we can in the hotel/ship safe but they don't hold a lot. What doesn't go in the safe we leave in one piece of luggage that has the above lock. It's obviously not fool proof but it is a bit more of a challenge.