Has anyone been to Red Stripe Beach lately?

sunsetbeachgal

I am researching options for our Falmouth port stop and am looking for a beach day (we are a group of six including two children). We are considering Red Stripe Beach, but there is another ship in port that day, the Navigator of the Seas, and they arrive two hours before we do.

Have read a prior comment on another thread that this beach gets very crowded if there are two ships in port. My other option is to take a taxi to the Iberostar Rose Hall Beach all inclusive which sounds nice (and includes chairs, lunch, nice pool, all drinks, etc), however the cost for the day pass plus cost to transport round-trip we are talking $100 per person versus $28 for Red Stripe excursion which includes only transport, nothing else.

Has anyone been to Red Stripe Beach lately?? What were your experiences?

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

We were at Red Strip Beach in December and here is what I posted on another thread. We were the first bus to arrive at the beach and were able to get a nice shady spot on the beach.

We were at Red Stripe Beach last week and booked thru RCCL. We were pleasantly surprised at how nice the beach was. It's about 5 minutes from the port and is tucked away down a road with private access from the main road. It cost 28 for the excursion and 5 dollars to rent a chair. A bucket of six red stripe beers was $22. The beach also has security so there were no vendors -but the beach had their own person doing massages and hair braiding. It's a small beach that does not have inflatables and other beach entertainment. We had adults and it was a nice few hours at the beach drinking red stripe. Food is also available but we did not buy any.

I think there was one more ship in port that day. We took the 9:30 shuttle to the beach. We were near the stack of beach chairs and it was a little after noon that they started to run out of lounge chairs. After people left they quickly took their chairs off the beach and rented them again.

I think there was one more ship in port that day. We took the 9:30 shuttle to the beach. We were near the stack of beach chairs and it was a little after noon that they started to run out of lounge chairs. After people left they quickly took their chairs off the beach and rented them again.

I'm assuming you took the ship excursion. Was there a choice of when to go back to the ship or was it just one set time to return??

thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I was just answering somebodies question regarding beach near Falmouth, so I'll copy it here:

Marcia, we just returned from the cruise on the Allure, were in Falmouth 01/29/14. I did extensive research on exactly the same question you are asking. From what I understood, there are no walking distance accessible beach near Falmouth port. My parents went to Red stripe beach through RCCL (Oasis, 01/04/14 sailing, $28 per person fee and that includes transportation and beach entrance, but loungers, umbrellas, food/drink - all extra, five to ten minutes ride from port) and they said it was very crowded and unimpressive. We took taxi for $20 per person round trip to Montego Bay's Doctor's Cave beach ( $6 per person entrance fee, $6 per lounge chair, $6 for an umbrella, but there is small area of natural shade under palm trees, so if vacant umbrella can be skipped). There is a nice, reasonably priced restaurant with live music right on the beach(we paid under $40 for lunch for two with drinks and tip). Ride to Montego Bay from Falmouth was about 40-45min, but the road is beautiful and it was like tour in itself.

Also, I was considering day pass to Hilton Rose Hall but at the end was very happy we didn't do it. Doctor's Cave was great, we enjoyed the ride to Montego Bay, it goes along a beautiful road and you do pass Rose Hall on the way. The day at the beach with taxi, food, all facilities was half the price of AI.

progress.gif

I am researching options for our Falmouth port stop and am looking for a beach day (we are a group of six including two children). We are considering Red Stripe Beach, but there is another ship in port that day, the Navigator of the Seas, and they arrive two hours before we do.

Have read a prior comment on another thread that this beach gets very crowded if there are two ships in port. My other option is to take a taxi to the Iberostar Rose Hall Beach all inclusive which sounds nice (and includes chairs, lunch, nice pool, all drinks, etc), however the cost for the day pass plus cost to transport round-trip we are talking $100 per person versus $28 for Red Stripe excursion which includes only transport, nothing else.

Has anyone been to Red Stripe Beach lately?? What were your experiences?

Hey Sunsetbeachgal!! I was on this thread trying to help a friend whose sailing on RCCL soon and going here. I ran across this: http://jamaicacruiseexcursions.com/FalmouthBeachBreak.htm

Don't know if it may be what you are looking for but the price looks pretty good!! I am so tired of our cold weather and I have over 270 days before I cruise again. Can't wait for summer!!

We were in Falmouth two weeks ago. We also went to Mo Bay - Dr. Cave's Beach. We were glad we did. We took a van taxi $20 per person round trip. We got the taxi inside the gated port area. The driver dropped us off at the entrance to Dr. Cave and picked us up at 3:00. We stayed on the beach for a couple of hours and then walked along the Hip Strip. We had yummy jerk chicken at Don Way for $8. The plate was very large which we were able to share.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question about finding a cab in Falmouth to take us to Doctor's Cave. We are a group of 9 hoe difficult is it to find a van for all of us inside the gate? What is the thought on just finding a cab the day of and feeling secure that we will get picked back up? Should I pre-book this if so any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Only problem is the resort they used (Braco) is closed so they don't really offer this excursion. There is a Royalton White Sands in the Falmouth area, but I'm not sure if they offer day passes and what they cost.

Hey Sunsetbeachgal!! I was on this thread trying to help a friend whose sailing on RCCL soon and going here. I ran across this: http://jamaicacruiseexcursions.com/FalmouthBeachBreak.htm

Don't know if it may be what you are looking for but the price looks pretty good!! I am so tired of our cold weather and I have over 270 days before I cruise again. Can't wait for summer!!

• 1 month later...
We were in Falmouth two weeks ago. We also went to Mo Bay - Dr. Cave's Beach. We were glad we did. We took a van taxi $20 per person round trip. We got the taxi inside the gated port area. The driver dropped us off at the entrance to Dr. Cave and picked us up at 3:00. We stayed on the beach for a couple of hours and then walked along the Hip Strip. We had yummy jerk chicken at Don Way for $8. The plate was very large which we were able to share.

Problem I have with Doctors Cave is you cannot get a lounger. All you get are the awful deck chairs, so uncomfortable. Unless they changed from the last time we were there.