Question around amount of wine allowed...

AandBmom

We have 2 cabins that connect for our family on the FOS. Cabin 1 has 3 children listed in it. Cabin 2 has DH, myself and one child. All the children are under age 10. Can we bring 2 bottles of wine per cabin regardless of who is registered in that cabin? So, b/w our cabins we could have 4? Or is it 1 per adult?

Also, does RC require you to show it with your carry on or can it be in your checked luggage? Carnival says it has to be with your carry on, although bottles randomly get through in luggage. What is RC like?

Thanks

We have 2 cabins that connect for our family on the FOS. Cabin 1 has 3 children listed in it. Cabin 2 has DH, myself and one child. All the children are under age 10. Can we bring 2 bottles of wine per cabin regardless of who is registered in that cabin? So, b/w our cabins we could have 4? Or is it 1 per adult?

Also, does RC require you to show it with your carry on or can it be in your checked luggage? Carnival says it has to be with your carry on, although bottles randomly get through in luggage. What is RC like?

Thanks

The rule is two bottles per stateroom, no matter how many guests are in the stateroom. The kid's stateroom does not count as there are no adults there.

Royal does not specify how to bring the wine onboard. You could put it in checked bags, however I would not recommend that. Besides the possibility of the bottles breaking, there's more of a chance of your bags being delayed because the scanner picks up the bottles and it looks suspicious to the security people.

Edited by clarea

Just to confirm: are you and your husband both listed on the same reservation? I am surprised that they would book a cabin with only the children listed. When we book and get a separate cabin for the kids, I am on one cabin reservation and my husband the other.

If that is the case, you could each bring 2 bottles.

I am surprised that they would book a cabin with only the children listed.

Royal Caribbean does permit this for connecting cabins, according to their FAQ. In practice, they seem to also permit kids to be in a separate cabin that is adjacent (not necessarily connecting) or across the hall from their parents' cabin.

Just wondering, do they have corkscrews to open your wine in the cabins or do you have to bring your own or pay some fee to have them open for you?

They don't normally stock corkscrews in the stateroom. We bring our own in our checked bags. You can also get one from a bar or your stateroom attendant.

Thanks

2 bottles per cabion that has at least one adult in it. the cabin with only minors is not eligible.

Confirm above, however, they do not check cabin arrangements at security, and they do not look at wine at check in.

My wife and I had 2 cabins with 1 adult and 1 child per cabin so we brought 4 bottles, my wife carried 2 and I had the other 2. When we went through security they didn't ask us to show our tickets or prove in any way how many cabins we had. Also we were in 2 seperate lines (they direct you left and right).

The porters specifically told us to keep wine in carryon, not checked luggage. The reason is they want to avoid people smuggling in other types of liquor in wine bottles, so if they xray your suitcase and see the bottles they will call you to naughty room so you can show them the bottles.

Confirm above, however, they do not check cabin arrangements at security, and they do not look at wine at check in.

My wife and I had 2 cabins with 1 adult and 1 child per cabin so we brought 4 bottles, my wife carried 2 and I had the other 2. When we went through security they didn't ask us to show our tickets or prove in any way how many cabins we had. Also we were in 2 seperate lines (they direct you left and right).

The porters specifically told us to keep wine in carryon, not checked luggage. The reason is they want to avoid people smuggling in other types of liquor in wine bottles, so if they xray your suitcase and see the bottles they will call you to naughty room so you can show them the bottles.

Depends on the port. We have been stopped for carrying more than 2 on board and had to explain that we had 2 cabins.

The rule is two bottles per stateroom, no matter how many guests are in the stateroom. The kid's stateroom does not count as there are no adults there.

Can you show me where in the rule it states that the second cabin does not count?

If you book two cabins you should get 4 bottles of wine.

Edited by deedeetoo

Can you show me where in the rule it states that the second cabin does not count?

If you book two cabins you should get 4 bottles of wine.

Here's the FAQ:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/beforeyouboard/whatToKnow/topTenFAQs/detail.do?pagename=top_10_faqs&pnav=4&snav=2&faqId=260&faqSubjectName=Top+FAQ&

The FAQ does not specifically address bringing bottles of wine for staterooms that don't have any guests of drinking age. Silly me, I thought that was common sense. However, the second paragraph is pretty clear about providing alcohol to guests under 21.

The FAQ does not specifically address bringing bottles of wine for staterooms that don't have any guests of drinking age. Silly me, I thought that was common sense. However, the second paragraph is pretty clear about providing alcohol to guests under 21.

Thanks, I thought that wasn't addressed in the rules. We have two rooms so will be bringing 4 bottles. Don't worry - my kids will not be drinking the wine.

Thanks, I thought that wasn't addressed in the rules. We have two rooms so will be bringing 4 bottles. Don't worry - my kids will not be drinking the wine.

Despite the rules not specifically stating that I do not think you will be allowed to bring on 4 bottles as in one room there is no one of legal drinking age.

Example: A married couple 19 years old is sailing by themselves in one cabin would not be allowed to bring wine on board as they are not of legal drinking age. This is no different than your underage children not being allowed 2 bottles for their cabin even though they are sailing with you.

What I have stated is more than likely how the rules would be interpreted if you were stopped and questioned by security and had to show them the cabin arrangements. That being said chances are that you will not be stopped but that does not mean that it is within the rules.

Royal Caribbean does permit this for connecting cabins, according to their FAQ. In practice, they seem to also permit kids to be in a separate cabin that is adjacent (not necessarily connecting) or across the hall from their parents' cabin.

Confirmed. Did that several times when our kids were younger.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

As someone has already mentioned, the embarkation day norm is that you go through security prior to arriving at the check-in counter. So as long as each carry-on has no more than two bottles of wine in it, and an adult to retrieve it after the x-ray, you should have no problem. You do show your Set Sail pass as you enter the lines for security screening, but they don't look at who is in what cabin.

We've carried wine aboard our last 3 RC cruises - 2 bottles packed in one carry-on bag - and they've never even opened the bag to inspect the wine inside.

Judy

Dec 29 2013 in Ft Lauderdale, boarding the Allure...

We had 2 connecting staterooms, one with 2 adults and a child, and the other with 2 children. We carried our wine in carry-on bags. We were stopped by security and asked to show our wine bottles. We had 4 bottles. They asked us to show that we had booked 2 rooms. They never asked if each room had an adult assigned. Once we showed them that we had two rooms, they let us proceed with 4 bottles. No idea if "connecting rooms" made a difference or not.

Your mileage may vary, but in our case they interpreted the rule to be... 2 rooms and 2 adults (regardless of configuration) = 4 bottles.

Edited by SSFrance73

My rooms are booked the same as the OP. I have 2 staterooms, one with 2 adults, and one with 4 kids (they are adjoining). You can bet your bottom dollar that I'm bringing four bottles of wine. I'm paying for 2 rooms, I get to receive all the benefits! :)

Website states " Guests may bring personal wine and champagne onboard only on boarding day, limited to two (2) 750 ml bottles per stateroom."

Depends on the port. We have been stopped for carrying more than 2 on board and had to explain that we had 2 cabins.

True, I should have specified port. We were in Port Canaveral. There's quite a line through security and the impression I got was that they want to move people through as fast as possible and they had no interest in checking cabin assignments etc.

Agree. One could easily book an adult in each cabin and switch once on board. Doesn't make sense.

That's just what we did, but we didn't even bother switching as cabins were connected, so boys just slept in one and adults in the other. I did this primarily so I could bring 4 bottles without breaking the rules. As it turned out it didn't matter at all. My wife and I each had 2 bottles and no questions were asked.