Men's Dress Code, Indep. of the Seas 1/26

wehomark

Either are fine so wear whichever you prefer. However, tuxes are worn by less than 10%. Probably on standard 7 day cruises, about 15-20% don't even wear jackets.

where do people come up with these stats? did you hire people to stand at every entrance on each level and count tux's?

James Bond, in my book and in many other person's book, is a demi-god!

A demi god, he was a cold blooded, ruthless killer with a drinking problem. We can't all be that perfect, but we can try. Read the books, only Sean Connery and Daniel Craig come close to the real character intended by Ian Fleming.

There are too many Elvis impersonators out there and practically no James Bond impersonators.

Read more dress code threads, they're full of comments like "wearing a tux makes me feel like James Bond" or "I love my husband in a tux, he looks just like James Bond". Lots of impersonators and wanna be's. I can only deal with them one at a time.

As for being serious, I have a large collection of Bond memorabilia, cars, guns, posters, movies, books and figures. Even our phone number ends in 4007. Of course my favorite cocktail is a Vesper.

A demi god, he was a cold blooded, ruthless killer with a drinking problem. We can't all be that perfect, but we can try. Read the books, only Sean Connery and Daniel Craig come close to the real character intended by Ian Fleming.

Read more dress code threads, they're full of comments like "wearing a tux makes me feel like James Bond" or "I love my husband in a tux, he looks just like James Bond". Lots of impersonators and wanna be's. I can only deal with them one at a time.

As for being serious, I have a large collection of Bond memorabilia, cars, guns, posters, movies, books and figures. Even our phone number ends in 4007. Of course my favorite cocktail is a Vesper.

The more I read, the more I realize that you and I have a lot in common. If we are ever on a cruise together we must sit down and have a drink. You can have a Vesper, and I'll have a vodka martini, shaken not stirred. After a few of those we can go out and stop a plot of world domination. Did you happen to catch the show on BBC America about Ian Fleming? I'm going to watch it this weekend. I agree with you about Sean Connery and Daniel Craig. All the other Bonds were jokes! Have you ever played the James Bond trivia on a cruise? I don't know where they got some of the answers but they were definitely wrong about a few things. They need guys like you and me to set them straight. I'd like to write more but I have to go. I've got reason to believe that Red China is trying to shoot down the International Space Station. I'm off to Hong Kong. Want to come?

Elvis

I've got 9 days till my cruise leaves. I hope I'm back by then!

We used to bring tux's but not anymore. Just shirt and ties for us. To much packing and baggage costs, bags overweight etc.... You walk in with your tux jacket on then take it off as soon as you sit down. No point for us anymore, been there, done that, have the pics to prove it. :D Now its just easy peezy....

Our thoughts exactly !

We're preparing for our 4th cruise with RC, the previous 3 we carried suits and posh black prom dress. We decided that a nice pants suit for me and shirt and tie for DH will suffice. And it will deffinitely save on packing space.

Hubby and son rented tuxes on Mexico cruise. They looked very handsome together, glad i had that pic and memory because a year later off to war he went. Next cruise we all take, the boys will probably rent their tuxes again because thats their thing they do now, father and son primping and posing on formal night. Thats what i like

I don't know how people estimate these percentages, considering that there are two levels of dining room, three on some ships, and two different dining times. I have worn a tux on every formal night on every cruise (36 with RCI) and I've never felt out of place or one of a few. IMO, the choice is up to you, you will blend in no matter what you wear.

true

The more I read, the more I realize that you and I have a lot in common. If we are ever on a cruise together we must sit down and have a drink. You can have a Vesper, and I'll have a vodka martini, shaken not stirred. After a few of those we can go out and stop a plot of world domination. Did you happen to catch the show on BBC America about Ian Fleming? I'm going to watch it this weekend. I agree with you about Sean Connery and Daniel Craig. All the other Bonds were jokes! Have you ever played the James Bond trivia on a cruise? I don't know where they got some of the answers but they were definitely wrong about a few things. They need guys like you and me to set them straight. I'd like to write more but I have to go. I've got reason to believe that Red China is trying to shoot down the International Space Station. I'm off to Hong Kong. Want to come?

Elvis

I've got 9 days till my cruise leaves. I hope I'm back by then!

I'll drink to that.:D

Quit playing Bond trivia a long time ago. As someone on another thread stated- the right answer is not necessarily the correct one, it's the one the host has written in front of them. Favorite Bond trivia question, who was the first to play Bond? Cruise line answer- Sean Connery. Correct answer- Barry Nelson in a CBS TV movie in 1954. On the big screen, Bob Simmons, Sean Connery's stunt double in the gun barrel scene in Dr No. Try explaining that one to a cruise trivia host.

I'd love to join you in China, but since the demise of M, I'm not sure where my next assignment is coming from.:cool:

Cheers.

Hubby and son rented tuxes on Mexico cruise. They looked very handsome together, glad i had that pic and memory because a year later off to war he went. Next cruise we all take, the boys will probably rent their tuxes again because thats their thing they do now, father and son primping and posing on formal night. Thats what i like

Great post. That is what vacations with the family are all about, memories.

If, on your next cruise with your son, he is still in the military, I'd suggest he wear his dress uniform on formal night. We took a family cruise when our grandson returned from Afghanistan, he wore his army dress uniform and you can't believe the attention he received from the staff and other passenger, it was truly amazing. Also, the photos of us all dressed up and him in uniform are really special.

Great post. That is what vacations with the family are all about, memories.

If, on your next cruise with your son, he is still in the military, I'd suggest he wear his dress uniform on formal night. We took a family cruise when our grandson returned from Afghanistan, he wore his army dress uniform and you can't believe the attention he received from the staff and other passenger, it was truly amazing. Also, the photos of us all dressed up and him in uniform are really special.

He should always wear his uniform and be proud of his service! I came from a time where it was not a good idea to wear your uniform, but I was proud of my service! Tell him to wear it proudly!

Elvis

My husband and son have rented a tux for every cruise we have been on. Since we are very casual in real life neither owns a suit and is more cost efficient to rent a tux every other year than buy a new suit.

Our last cruise on Oasis we rented directly through RCCL and there was a problem with my husbands pants being the wrong size, we contacted guest services and they were swapped for a pair that fit, apparently they have a limited supply of stuff on board. We had the try everything on the first day so we had time to deal with anything that may have been wrong. The tuxes were in the cabin when we arrived. Pic below:

118.jpg

I love the formal pictures of our family "all dolled up"!

We are planning on doing the same in June.

He should always wear his uniform and be proud of his service! I came from a time where it was not a good idea to wear your uniform, but I was proud of my service! Tell him to wear it proudly!

Elvis

JBond and Elvis1209, a couple of comments:

First, my son and daughter-in-law went on our New Years cruise with us. He is a Navy Pilot and wore his Formal Mess Dress with Blue Jacket, White shirt, White vest, White bow tie, blue pants. To say he looked fantastic is an understatement. To say I was so very proud of him is an understatement. I'm with you, our military members should always wear their uniforms on Formal Night.

As for getting together for a drink, can I join you? But one thing. It must be in a Tux, and the bow tie must be real. See we always get the guys together for a cigar on the last Formal Night. We wear real bow ties because if James Bond was to relax with a nice drink (shaken not stirred) and a great cigar in his Tux, with colleagues, he'd look really cool and untie his bow tie and let it drape over his shoulders.

So when y'all get together, if I'm their can I join? Sounds like a fine way to spend an evening.

First, my son and daughter-in-law went on our New Years cruise with us. He is a Navy Pilot and wore his Formal Mess Dress with Blue Jacket, White shirt, White vest, White bow tie, blue pants. To say he looked fantastic is an understatement. To say I was so very proud of him is an understatement. I'm with you, our military members should always wear their uniforms on Formal Night.

As for getting together for a drink, can I join you? But one thing. It must be in a Tux, and the bow tie must be real. See we always get the guys together for a cigar on the last Formal Night. We wear real bow ties because if James Bond was to relax with a nice drink (shaken not stirred) and a great cigar in his Tux, with colleagues, he'd look really cool and untie his bow tie and let it drape over his shoulders.

So when y'all get together, if I'm their can I join? Sounds like a fine way to spend an evening.

As soon as you mentioned cigars I thought "This is someone I want to party with!" What can be better than cigars and tuxes?

Elvis

I am in full agreement with you regarding military uniforms. When they travelled, both our grandson and grandson in law always wore their ACU's, they never failed to get upgraded and bypass all the lines.:)

If we ever cruise together, I'd look forward to having a drink with you, sounds like you have a great way to end a cruise.

Elvis, I watched the first episode of Fleming: the man who would be Bond. I wasn't overly impressed, but I'll keep watching it out of curiosity. I think it's a stretch to suggest that Fleming was the one to come up with the idea for "The Man That Never Was". I'm interested to see how they develop the Fleming/Monday relationship.

Do most men wear a tux on formal nights for European cruises?

You'll probably get varying answers,, but I think it is difficult to assess because the dining room is on different levels and two seatings, on some Med cruises we have been on, four seatings. My observation is that it is about the same as Caribbean cruises.

You'll probably get varying answers,, but I think it is difficult to assess because the dining room is on different levels and two seatings, on some Med cruises we have been on, four seatings. My observation is that it is about the same as Caribbean cruises.

We'll be on MTD so will that make a difference? Its our first RCI cruise so we're not sure what to expect.

JBond, I'll keep an eye out for your cruises. If we end up on the same one, for sure we'll do cigar night. It's nice to read on this post all the support for dressing up. Refreshing after so many "it's my vacation and I'll dress the way I want" posts. Like FolkSinger said, "It is amazing what a nice Tux can do to enhance the evening." I totally agree.

I look forward to our cigar (and maybe a few martinis before). :)

We'll be on MTD so will that make a difference? Its our first RCI cruise so we're not sure what to expect.

It makes no difference what so ever. I'm not a fan of MTD. We have done twice, cruising with friends, and there's no difference with regards to dress. I hope you enjoy RCI, their ships have a real WOW factor.