Men's Dress Code, Indep. of the Seas 1/26

wehomark

Have never sailed on RCI. Debating whether to take a tux for the formal night or just a suit/jacket and tie. Think there will be 2 formal nights. Anyone been on a RCI week cruise to the caribbean lately, will I be one of the few with a tux. Does not matter that much either way, but if only a small amount of men wear tuxes, won't even bother.

Thanks for any input

I don't know how people estimate these percentages, considering that there are two levels of dining room, three on some ships, and two different dining times. I have worn a tux on every formal night on every cruise (36 with RCI) and I've never felt out of place or one of a few. IMO, the choice is up to you, you will blend in no matter what you wear.

Have never sailed on RCI. Debating whether to take a tux for the formal night or just a suit/jacket and tie. Think there will be 2 formal nights. Anyone been on a RCI week cruise to the caribbean lately, will I be one of the few with a tux. Does not matter that much either way, but if only a small amount of men wear tuxes, won't even bother.

Thanks for any input

As all are aware, the discussions on the dress code have been eagerly contested with every aspect of the dress code 'in particulari'. However, it would appear there is one element being overlooked.

SHOES, Gentlemen please wear good dress shoes with a tux, anything else is just not right.

I have seen all types of footwear with a Tux from tatty work shoes to trainers :eek:

Whinge over ;)

As all are aware, the discussions on the dress code have been eagerly contested with every aspect of the dress code 'in particulari'. However, it would appear there is one element being overlooked.

SHOES, Gentlemen please wear good dress shoes with a tux, anything else is just not right.

I have seen all types of footwear with a Tux from tatty work shoes to trainers :eek:

Whinge over ;)

Shoes with a tux, never. I always wear black eel skin western boots.

I don't know how people estimate these percentages, considering that there are two levels of dining room, three on some ships, and two different dining times. I have worn a tux on every formal night on every cruise (36 with RCI) and I've never felt out of place or one of a few. IMO, the choice is up to you, you will blend in no matter what you wear.

I wouldn't expect anything less than a tux from someone with the name "Bond" "J Bond" :D:D

We used to bring tux's but not anymore. Just shirt and ties for us. To much packing and baggage costs, bags overweight etc.... You walk in with your tux jacket on then take it off as soon as you sit down. No point for us anymore, been there, done that, have the pics to prove it. :D Now its just easy peezy....

If you have a tux, and plan on either a tux or a suit anyway, wear the tux. Where else do you get to wear it? I always bring a tux. Having said that, we are going on an 11 night in a month and I plan to bring a dark suit. We still dress with coat and tie on Smart Casual night (mostly forgotten on cruises). So the plan is a suit for Formal Night and use the coat as a "sport coat" for Smart Casual so we can pack more for the longer cruise. Most people don't even know Smart Casual exists, so not much of a player.

But as others have said, some just don't bother with Formal Night. We saw t-shirts and jeans in the MDR on Formal Night on Oasis. But the majority do tend do dress up a bit, even it that means a collared shirt vs. t-shirt.

Thanks for any input

Take a tux, I always do. Let the scruffs feel scruffy :):)

If you feel like wearing a tux, do so. If you feel like wearing a jacket and tie, wear it in good health. If you feel like looking like a slob, more power to you, just don't think you're going to sit at my table! (Let the flaming begin!!!!)

Elvis

If you feel like wearing a tux, do so. If you feel like wearing a jacket and tie, wear it in good health. If you feel like looking like a slob, more power to you, just don't think you're going to sit at my table! (Let the flaming begin!!!!)

Elvis

I wasn't aware that people had the power to determine who was allowed to sit at their table. I always thought that if you didn't like the location or your table mates that it was your option to move. :eek:

Elvis

Why so aggressive and rude? The OP asked a simple question and received good responses, until you. Guess there's always one. I'm certain, even though I dress in a tux, I would not want to sit at your table. Slob applies to attitude as well as appearance and you appear to fit the category quite adequately.

I agree that a tux isn't necessary but I absolutely love the way my husband looks in a tux! I think he brings it mostly because I appreciate it.

Regarding tie with no jacket. I'm in the camp that believes if you don't bring the jacket, you should leave the tie at home as well. Old school? Probably.

Why so aggressive and rude? The OP asked a simple question and received good responses, until you. Guess there's always one. I'm certain, even though I dress in a tux, I would not want to sit at your table. Slob applies to attitude as well as appearance and you appear to fit the category quite adequately.

I wasn't being aggressive or rude. You may have taken it that way, but that's your problem. You may not want to sit at my table because you think I'm a slob. Well, I wouldn't want you at my table because I think you are a snob! And that's all I'm going to say about that!

Elvis

I just rented one- First time- Thought it would save hauling my suit. Anyone have any experience renting?

yes, on our recent Med cruise instead of hauling a tux, and proper dress shoes 20K+ miles round trip I rented a tux and shoes. the tux fit perfect. came with both a bow tie and a long tie and a vest plus 2 shirts. it was hanging in our room when we arrived and were told to leave it hanging in our room when we left.

whether or not to wear a tux imo would depend on if your wife was going to wear formal length gowns or cocktails length dresses.

This is what happened to the last guy that thought he looked better that 007.

image_zpsd67a13b8.jpg

Let's put our differences aside for a moment (or for good). I don't think you should make light of the name "Bond" or "007". James Bond, in my book and in many other person's book, is a demi-god! Please please please show respect! Now you may find this is off-base coming from a guy who's screen name is Elvis. I don't nearly have as much respect for Elvis (a real person) as I do for James Bond (A fictional character). There are too many Elvis impersonators out there and practically no James Bond impersonators. What I'm trying to say, and doing terribly at it, is don't bring disrespect to the name. Do him honor. Do you know why my screen name is Elvis 1209? Because you had jbond first!

Elvis