Cunard: Classy or Pretentious

Dunelm

Mrs Richards could well have been on a cruise liner.

"Call that a bath? it's not big enough to drown a mouse". I shall expect a reduction!

And had there been a mouse in her room, she would have gotten the reduction. (But not if it had been Manuel's rat, Basil, because the dead get breakfast in bed at Fawlty Towers, but no reduction.)

And had there been a mouse in her room, she would have gotten the reduction. (But not if it had been Manuel's rat, Basil, because the dead get breakfast in bed at Fawlty Towers, but no reduction.)

Rat? No, no, you mean Manuel's "Siberian hamster".:D

Of course they were 10 bob snobs, that is to say pretentious but relatively impecunious, often living miserable cheap lives and cutting coupons for their groceries so they could cruise Cunard once a year and pretend to be something they were not.

:eek:

Please tell me you were being ironic, rather than hypocritical.

Perhaps I would have fitted your categorisation: my first 3 Cunard cruises (QE2) I scraped together the money for a single inside cabin, and only had one formal dress. And then couldn't afford a holiday for several years. This had nothing to do with pretention, and everything to do with having fallen in love with a fantastic ship.

In answer to the original query, on the Cunard ships, the majority of people seem to enjoy dressing to the code (or, as we tend to put it, pratting about in a posh frock). There are those who compromise (dark jacket level) and people tend not to notice. Spending a formal evening in T shirt and shorts probably would raise an eyebrow. The transatlantic crossing, however, is amazing. The sail into NY harbour, with the statue of liberty glimmering in the distance and sunset over Brooklyn...or, for that matter, the sail out. The crossing on QM2 really makes you feel as though you're on a proper ocean liner of yesteryear. And there is certainly more to do than just dress up: I particularly liked some of the RADA performances and workshops.

If you want to go, then go. But do consider taking the dj...the atmosphere just makes you want to live up to it!

• 1 year later...
Hang on, are we to be judged by how many CC friends we have? Do I even have any? I don't know how to accept a friend request or send one. We can't private message anyone so what is the advantage to having a CC friend? Does it show you when the "friend" posts? Clueless here.

Thread title: Cunard: classy or pretentious? Am I alone in thinking the word classy is something Hyacinth Bucket would use, or maybe some bridge and tunnel club member? Pretentious- the ships, no. Absolutely not. The forum? Absolutely yes.

The ships are classic(ish) and traditional(ish). For cruise ships they certainly are elegant and lovely and provide an excellent experience.

Seago2, in answer to your question regarding the word classy, here is the definition given in the Merriam-Webster dictionary:

: having qualities that make someone or something special and attractive

: showing impressive character : very good, kind, etc.

- copied from http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/classy

Ergo, classy is an appropriate word to be used by anyone who knows its true meaning.

Hope this helps.:)

-S

When somebody books a Cunard voyage, and then says that they don't want to dress formal on formal nights, I question why they signed on. It makes about as much sense as me signing on for a Disney ship only to complain that I don't want the hassle of a large number of young children on board.

I see you have previously sailed on Azamara which has zero formal nights. That atmosphere may be more suited to your preferred style at this point in your life.

You know the dress code on Cunard and you don't like it. Why book knowing that to be the case?

I agree with you, we book Cunard because we enjoy the dress code and more formal atmosphere, we don't book Azamara because they don't have formal nights and would not go on Disney because we prefer a cruise with fewer kids.

We made cruise line choices based on what they offer and what we like. Love the Queen Victoria, did it twice within a one year, now we have booked the OM2 for a 14 night round trip out of New York to Quebec City.... we will back tux and all. It is part of going on Cunard. :)

I certainly think a tuxedo would be appropriate but certainly not necessary. Wearing a dark suite is acceptable.

This is your cruise so do as much or as little as you want... Just know though that you will see more formal attire on formal nights-that is part of the experience...

~Steve