Cunard: Classy or Pretentious

Dunelm

Not anything to do with snobbery, but I don't see the point of ships that have dress codes but don't enforce them. Why not just say 'suggested dress code' if that's all it is?

On our last cruise it said dinner jackets or dark suits on formal night only, casual wear not permitted in MDR.

Despite this there were a few people in shorts and tshirts which isn't even supposed to be allowed on normal nights!

It's certainly not limited to any one ship, but either have dress codes or don't. Otherwise it can go the other way with someone feeling 'too' formal and out of place. (Not on the Cunard ones I'm sure but perhaps on other lines)

It must be so boring being a man and only having a couple of choices for formal attire. :D

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Hi Barry, hope your fine.

Your so right, I have never seen snobbery on the ship, only on here and the members on board from a CC roll is around 20 people, the ships hold 2600.

enjoy the wonderful ship

G'day Rob

Haven't seen you around for some time - nice to hear from you again. How's the weather over your way?? :) for me, I'll be glad when this B***** summer is over. I'd love to have a bit of fog, rain and cold for a while :)

Barry

If I ever get the chance to sail with Cunard I would follow the formal status for my own satisfaction and respect, but I don't think anyone should be "Judge or Jury" on this.

My philosophy -- exactly!!! :) I quite enjoy putting on the "bib and tucker" and even do so on cruiseships where it is not common. But the "dress code' on all cruiseships is an advisory recommendation - not a mandate.

Barry

Thanks for the heads-up for the updated dress codes for all of 2014.

The two cruises that take in Halifax in June and August have 4 formal nights over eight days.

5th June Southampton: informal

6th June at sea : formal

7th June at sea: formal

8th June at sea: informal

9th June at sea: formal

10th June at sea: informal

11th June Halifax: formal

12th June at sea: informal

27th August New York: informal

28th August at sea: formal

29th August Halifax: informal

30th August at sea: formal

31st August at sea: formal

1st September at sea: informal

2nd September at sea: formal

3rd September at sea: informal

Making the night of the 11th June after a port day in Halifax, when people will have been out on excursions, as formal makes no sense to me.

Thanks, Ray, I had forgotten about those 8 day crossings on QM2, and I agree having a formal on a port day doesn't make much sense, especially when there's an informal sea day with which it could be switched.

Anyway the OP wrote that she was thinking of taking a TA on QV, and there aren't many of those in 2014 (I see one in April from Florida to Southampton)...

@Dunlem: I should have asked the date of the Crossing you're thinking of taking. If it's sometime in 2015, maybe we should all just wait and see how the dress code evolves in a year's time.;)

Regards,

Salacia

Why that you are on QM2, or QE2, or Queen Mary, or Normandie, … of course.

Actually, I am very happy on any ship that I've had the good fortune to be on! It's a case of "I must go down to the sea again . . ." ;).

Whatever you choose to wear for dinner probably won't be inappropriate since you've taken the initiative to find out what's suitable. You will come across travellers who are charming and gregarious, you'll be on a ship that has many special corners to discover and you'll find the days pass too quickly. That's the charm of travelling transatlantic.

Thanks to all of you for the great discussion. I loved it! I particularly appreciate the person who pointed out that a minority of people cruising with Cunard post on this site. I am sure the majority of those on board a ship are friendly, down-to-earth (or sea :)) people. And, as another person implied, I also have found that those people with the most have to brag the least.

You will have a great time, want to wind em right up. Go too kings court in your bath robe :eek: lol just enjoy and report back on your cruise, oops voyage

G'day Rob

Haven't seen you around for some time - nice to hear from you again. How's the weather over your way?? :) for me, I'll be glad when this B***** summer is over. I'd love to have a bit of fog, rain and cold for a while :)

Barry

Hi. I'm around, love. To wAtch and learn, we have rain.fog and cold:)

Austcruiser is right, this thread has brought out all the usual suspects with their chants of "snobs, snobs". Oh well, there's no accounting for intelligence.

Meanwhile, on board QE, everyone is getting on with enjoying their cruise. In complete opposite to this thread, the dress code is not an issue and no one seems to have any dramas in following it. Coincidentally, no one is walking around the ship calling people "snobs" either, which proves the point that it's very easy to call people names whilst sitting at home behind your computer tucking into a bucket of KFC.

The best thing of all is that the people that post on Cruise Critic are a small minority, so the chances of meeting anyone that runs around calling people snobs are slim to none on a Cunard voyage.

By the way, we had a formal night tonight and everyone looked great in their formal gear. :D

Austcruiser is right, this thread has brought out all the usual suspects with their chants of "snobs, snobs". Oh well, there's no accounting for intelligence.

Meanwhile, on board QE, everyone is getting on with enjoying their cruise. In complete opposite to this thread, the dress code is not an issue and no one seems to have any dramas in following it. Coincidentally, no one is walking around the ship calling people "snobs" either, which proves the point that it's very easy to call people names whilst sitting at home behind your computer tucking into a bucket of KFC.

The best thing of all is that the people that post on Cruise Critic are a small minority, so the chances of meeting anyone that runs around calling people snobs are slim to none on a Cunard voyage.

By the way, we had a formal night tonight and everyone looked great in their formal gear. :D

well said, its very sad how these people are, it was worse a few years ago,

pleased your enjoying the beautiful QE, she is something very special

Edited by rob6852

There's a certain irony that the 'snobbiest' people I ever met (I hate to use the term but you know what I mean) on a cruise were on the cheapest, not the most expensive one. They dominated contersation at dinner giving the rest of the table a run-down on all the really expensive cruise lines and suites they'd experienced. I did want to ask 'so what made you choose a budget line this time?...' but I kept my mouth shut. Well, I couldn't get a word in edgeways anyway.

You will have a great time, want to wind em right up. Go too kings court in your bath robe :eek: lol just enjoy and report back on your cruise, oops voyage

I have seen people in their bathrobes in Kings Court and a man in his bath robe in the Golden Lion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There's a certain irony that the 'snobbiest' people I ever met (I hate to use the term but you know what I mean) on a cruise were on the cheapest, not the most expensive one. They dominated contersation at dinner giving the rest of the table a run-down on all the really expensive cruise lines and suites they'd experienced. I did want to ask 'so what made you choose a budget line this time?...' but I kept my mouth shut. Well, I couldn't get a word in edgeways anyway.

I don't travel in Britannia, so couldn't speak for that restaurant, but I've never come across wannabe one-upmanship or any attitude other than that of interesting people and good fun at the table.

Dress codes are adhered to [DJ/lounge suit on formal night] and everyone has a great time.

I like your budget thought. I'll bank it, just in case it's ever needed.

I don't travel in Britannia, so couldn't speak for that restaurant, but I've never come across wannabe one-upmanship or any attitude other than that of interesting people and good fun at the table.

Dress codes are adhered to [DJ/lounge suit on formal night] and everyone has a great time.

I like your budget thought. I'll bank it, just in case it's ever needed.

Did you read the topic of this thread

mmmm! :D :D :D

Edited by Pennbank

Did you read the topic of this thread

mmmm! :D :D :D

What an unnecessary and slightly unpleasant comment As I said before, I'm a reader, not a doer and with replies like that, I know why.

Read the general comments and read my other reply. This is about Cunard. I can't help it if I happen to eat in a restaurant other than Britannia and what's wrong in liking a smart reply to someone who thinks themselves above many companions while travelling on Cunard and letting all know it. I haven't met this but if I did, using the term budget with regard to Cunard is amusing. Well I think so. I'm sorry you don't.

What an unnecessary and slightly unpleasant comment As I said before, I'm a reader, not a doer and with replies like that, I know why.

Read the general comments and read my other reply. This is about Cunard. I can't help it if I happen to eat in a restaurant other than Britannia and what's wrong in liking a smart reply to someone who thinks themselves above many companions while travelling on Cunard and letting all know it. I haven't met this but if I did, using the term budget with regard to Cunard is amusing. Well I think so. I'm sorry you don't.

Your post, states immediately that you do not travel "Brittania Class" Why mention it in the first place then only being club or grills left ? and referring to the Britannia Restaurant as "That" restaurant. The Britannia is probably the best restaurant for decor.

Just reiterating what this thread is titled ! Cunard: Classy or Pretentious enjoy :D

Edited by Pennbank

I think that "I haven't dined in the Britannia Restaurant yet" has a different tone to "I don't travel in Britannia".

Just my thought on the subject :) .

Britannia Grade or Grills, I hope everyone has a superb time when they are next on board their favourite Cunard ship :) .

Edited by pepperrn

Your post, states immediately that you do not travel "Brittania Class" Why mention it in the first place then only being club or grills left ? and referring to the Britannia Restaurant as "That" restaurant. The Britannia is probably the best restaurant for decor.

Just reiterating what this thread is titled ! Cunard: Classy or Pretentious enjoy :D

Because the post talked about expensive and cheapest. Britannia is smashing I'm sure but on Cunard it's probably cheaper than the other three. Thats all.

You put 'that' in highlight. I didn't say that restaurant. I said Britannia and then said that restaurant because to say the name twice in one sentence would look stupid.

Edited by Victoria2

sorry it was another post the same as the other. I just meant to add I'm not pretentious.

Edited by Victoria2

I think that "I haven't dined in the Britannia Restaurant yet" has a different tone to "I don't travel in Britannia".

Just my thought on the subject :) .

Britannia Grade or Grills, I hope everyone has a superb time when they are next on board their favourite Cunard ship :) .

You are right but it was just a plain comment which was a reply to a cheapest and expensive way of cruising. Cruising [travelling] being the point, dining being secondary.

I didn't expect to get 'grilled' on it. I will watch my language so I don't upset anyone.

If I ever dare post again.