Cunard: Classy or Pretentious

Dunelm

i have cruised quite a few times on cunard over the years, in every category of stateroom and dining room, and found more snobs in the cheap seats than in the qg. Of course they were 10 bob snobs, that is to say pretentious but relatively impecunious, often living miserable cheap lives and cutting coupons for their groceries so they could cruise cunard once a year and pretend to be something they were not.

I would still like to cruise cunard more for itinerary reasons but now find princess to be somewhat similar but more comfortable and relaxed.

Also, although it is now apparently reinstated, cunard dropped the military obc and lost my business as a result.

obc?

Of course they were 10 bob snobs, that is to say pretentious but relatively impecunious, often living miserable cheap lives and cutting coupons for their groceries so they could cruise Cunard once a year and pretend to be something they were not.
Were they pretending to be passengers?

Cheers.

Salacia: My original question had to do with whether or not Cunard was classy or pretentious. I have not changed that original query. I am not concerned about hierarchies. There is a difference between hierarchy and pretention. Obviously, there can be hierarchies without pretention. Several comments on this site have confirmed that fact.

Ignore them, keyboard warrior. Nothing better to do.

We were recently in the MDR on a Caribbean trip for the holidays, then changed to the QG for a crossing. My husband dressed the same in each dining room and I did also, with the exception of heavier wraps because the crossing was cooler. We were at tables for 8 in each dining room. Our dining mates were lovely in both the NDR and the QG room. The difference for us was that we could eat at different times in the QG and usually ate earlier than others.

There was a difference in service and quality of food, but I digress.

• 4 weeks later...
On Princess ships, passengers in suites are brought to the head of the line if there is a waiting period for tables in restaurants.

.:D

Wow, I'd really love that. Waltzing past the lower orders and hearing their nasty remarks and seeing their resentful faces.

That's cruising for me.

David.

Surely you chose rather than happened, to eat in a restaurant other than Britannia.

David.

I did. Lucky me. The 'happened' just happened to fit the reply to the other poster who decided to pick me up on my choice of words. Lucky as I know how lucky I am, just in case you pick me up on these choice of words.

Edited by Victoria2
last sentence added

"QUE" is the Spanish word for "WHAT".

Yes, but we were doing skits from Fawlty Towers. :D Manuel (he's from Barcelona) didn't understand what an English woman in the hotel was saying to him and asked "Que?" - the haughty woman didn't understand Spanish and asked in a prissy tone "K? K? wot"?...I know I'm not doing the scene justice so I see if I can find a video clip on line:)

Edited to add:

Sorry, couldn't find a clip of that particular scene, but here's a clip from that same episode

Edited by Salacia

Yes, but we were doing skits from Fawlty Towers. :D Manuel (he's from Barcelona) didn't understand what an English woman in the hotel was saying to him and asked "Que?" - the haughty woman didn't understand Spanish and asked in a prissy tone "K? K? wot"?...I know I'm not doing the scene justice so I see if I can find a video clip on line:)

Sorry I did not pick up on the Fawlty Towers reference!

Is anybody besides me aware that "Glojo" is from Torquay?

Yes, and if I remember correctly, he posted some photos of the area...very charming place.

Torquay! Where your hotel room offers a glimpse of the sea instead of thundering herds of wildebeests.

One of my other favourite lines was when Mrs Richards demanded of Manuel that he find the manager.

Manuel: He's Fawlty.

Mrs Richards: What's wrong with him?

I destroyed my husband this summer when we were getting in a bus in Germany and I whispered "don't mention the war." He tried to stop laughing so hard he wound up making strangling snorting sounds.

(Another Fawlty Towers reference).

Well, you've mentioned it once, but I think you got away with it. Edited by pepperrn

In answer to the original question I think that Cunard is classy, yes, but not pretentious.

If you enjoy great service in lovely surroundings then you'll have a cruise to remember for all the right reasons. I enjoy cruising because its a really relaxing holiday for me ( no cooking, cleaning or washing for a week or two! ) with the opportunity to see different parts of the world easily. The people that I met on Cunard were no different to the people who I met on P&O & on Fred. Olsen. They were people looking to enjoy their holiday like I was, & who were happy to be having a week away from work, or from their daily life, and looking to relax & unwind.

My personal opinion is that dressing up on formal evenings is half of the fun of cruising, but maybe that's because I am female?!

Oh, and I don't think that I ever tasted the Waldorf salad ;)