Cunard: Classy or Pretentious

Dunelm

... I will watch my language so I don't upset anyone. If I ever dare post again.
Aw, don't say that Victoria2 :) ! I get things wrong all the time when at a keyboard, it is sometimes hard to get one's true meaning across without the clues others receive via voice intonation and body language in normal conversation. Sometimes I read things back and think "I didn't mean that at all :eek: !! :o " Please, keep posting. I'll look forward to reading all about your next voyage :) .

All best wishes,

Edited by pepperrn

Out of interest, do people find it's the non-cruisers who assume pretention when it comes to cruising? (Cunard or otherwise) I've lost count of the amount of times I've been asked where I'm going on holiday, and when you reply a cruise, they raise their eyebrows and go ooooh..., in a slightly sarcastic 'who do you think you are?' Sort of way.

Maybe it's because we started cruising young which is a bit more unusual, but some of our cruises only cost £400 inc flights which is no worse than an average resort holiday in many places.

A holiday is a holiday to me.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

You are right but it was just a plain comment which was a reply to a cheapest and expensive way of cruising. Cruising [travelling] being the point, dining being secondary.

I didn't expect to get 'grilled' on it. I will watch my language so I don't upset anyone.

If I ever dare post again.

Post again and have fun:) its a forum, your views are as good as anyones else on here

Edited by rob6852

Okay, folk! I had no idea that when I posted this thread "Classy or Pretentious" it would hit a nerve. Having read all the comments, and having read other threads and reviews, I have come to the conclusion that Cunard is probably no different to any of the other cruise lines. That is, there are classy and pretentious people everywhere, and a heap that fall somewhere in between. But, and I may get flamed for saying this, it may be that Cunard actually helps to promote some of the pretention by sorting its passengers into so many different dining categories. Most cruise lines these days have everyone, regardless of stateroom expense, eating in the same venues. On the other hand, there will always be some kind of pecking order in any context. That's life! So, please try not to take offense, and let's embrace differences and the right to question--it's what makes life so interesting.

Cunard don't set aside reserved seating alongside their swimming pools for certain passengers -- as Royal Caribbean does. -- nor any reserved seating in the main theatre (that I know of ?)

Barry

Edited by bazzaw

Cunard don't set aside reserved seating alongside their swimming pools for certain passengers -- as Royal Caribbean does. -- nor any reserved seating in the main theatre (that I know of ?)

Barry

That is true, RCL does have reserved seating in the theatre, however from what I have seen it does not get used that much and if you wait until a few minuites before the show you can sit there.

Okay, folk! I had no idea that when I posted this thread "Classy or Pretentious" it would hit a nerve. Having read all the comments, and having read other threads and reviews, I have come to the conclusion that Cunard is probably no different to any of the other cruise lines. That is, there are classy and pretentious people everywhere, and a heap that fall somewhere in between.

It was obvious from the beginning. A provocative thread title that was immediately converted into old boring dress code topic.

Answer to your question is classy. Way more classy than any other ships.

Are passenges snobby? It does not matter at all. At least for me. Who cares? I am not looking for someome to marry.

Cunard is different. The product is different.

If your question is about the product - let's talk about it, however, the answer is on the surface.

If it's about passengers - you are wasting your and other's time...:)

Edited by cruisetrail

Okay, folk! I had no idea that when I posted this thread "Classy or Pretentious" it would hit a nerve. Having read all the comments, and having read other threads and reviews, I have come to the conclusion that Cunard is probably no different to any of the other cruise lines. That is, there are classy and pretentious people everywhere, and a heap that fall somewhere in between. But, and I may get flamed for saying this, it may be that Cunard actually helps to promote some of the pretention by sorting its passengers into so many different dining categories. Most cruise lines these days have everyone, regardless of stateroom expense, eating in the same venues. On the other hand, there will always be some kind of pecking order in any context. That's life! So, please try not to take offense, and let's embrace differences and the right to question--it's what makes life so interesting.

Just my opinion, but I think Cunard is different from other brands, just as other brands differ from each other. For example, Seabourn is different from Carnival, just as Cunard is different from Costa. Yet as you pointed out, just as pretentious people can be found anywhere if you look hard enough, it is also possible to find interesting people from various walks of life; that is true where ever we go (including this forum) - my guess is that's obvious to most people.

Yet any remaining concern that you might have about encountering pretentious people on board can be avoided by booking a table for two. That way, you'll have little or no prolonged contact with your fellow passengers. (Personally, I think that would be unfortunate because some of my fondest memories of past Cunard voyages/cruises/trips/journeys is of the really nice tablemates I've had the pleasure of meeting.)

Regarding your comment that most cruise lines have "everyone eating in the same venue": most cruise lines have alternative dining venues that carry a surcharge, so a supposedly more "upscale" restaurant experience is available to any passenger who wants to pay more. And has been mentioned, several other cruise lines have different dining venues for certain cabin categories. Even NCL has different accommodations for passengers booking suites. On Princess ships, passengers in suites are brought to the head of the line if there is a waiting period for tables in restaurants.

I've never been troubled by the fact that Cunard has different facilities for those who book categories other than Britannia. Hopefully, Cunard makes a bundle of money on those more expensive categories, thus keeping the fares lower for the 85% of us passengers in Britannia.:D

On Princess ships, passengers in suites are brought to the head of the line if there is a waiting period for tables in restaurants.

D

Really?? Wow. I'm all in favor of "pay more, get more", but not to the point of waiting in line and having others put in front of me. A line is a line. Seperate lines, not a problem. To me that would be the ultimate insult........but then, line cutters are my biggest pet peeve.

It was obvious from the beginning. A provocative thread title that was immediately converted into old boring dress code topic.

Answer to your question is classy. Way more classy than any other ships.

Are passenges snobby? It does not matter at all. At least for me. Who cares? I am not looking for someome to marry.

Cunard is different. The product is different.

If your question is about the product - let's talk about it, however, the answer is on the surface.

If it's about passengers - you are wasting your and other's time...:)

What an interesting comment about the thread title. Thank you.

My pet peeve about the first post

… So, will we find Cunard too stiff and snobby or are there less pretentious people on board?

concerns the distinction between less and fewer. I believe that on most days on board Cunard you will find fewer pretentious people and more less pretentious people.

Really?? Wow. I'm all in favor of "pay more, get more", but not to the point of waiting in line and having others put in front of me. A line is a line. Seperate lines, not a problem. To me that would be the ultimate insult........but then, line cutters are my biggest pet peeve.

Brigitte, Yup.

I believe Princess uses the term "priority reservations" available to passengers booking suites, and it extends not only to the restaurants, but also to other venues/activities on board. See http://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/ships/PrincessSuite_eFlyer.pdf

Anyway, my point was that what some people (not you) consider a snobby, pretentious "class system" on Cunard might want to take a closer look at what happens on other cruise lines before they poke sticks at Cunard and its passengers. I'm a rower, not a cheerleader, but facts are facts. -S.

P.S. Just to add that I'm not dissing Princess. We booked a suite on Princess Caribbean once, and enjoyed most of our meals served en-suite. The food and the service were excellent. Can't say enough good things about the service we received from very nice, thoughtful people.

Edited by Salacia

Brigitte, Yup.

I believe Princess uses the term "priority reservations" available to passengers booking suites, and it extends not only to the restaurants, but also to other venues/activities on board. See http://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/ships/PrincessSuite_eFlyer.pdf

Anyway, my point was that what some people (not you) consider a snobby, pretentious "class system" on Cunard might want to take a closer look at what happens on other cruise lines before they poke sticks at Cunard and its passengers. I'm a rower, not a cheerleader, but facts are facts. -S.

P.S. Just to add that I'm not dissing Princess. We booked a suite on Princess Caribbean once, and enjoyed most of our meals served en-suite. The food and the service were excellent. Can't say enough good things about the service we received from very nice, thoughtful people.

Yes Salacia ,your are right about that.There are are other cruise lines have an upper class .

On my last cruise to the Caribbean on NCL, Breakaway

I sailed in the Haven, which is a private suite section.

Private sun deck, private pool and dinning Room.

Very nice , but is it a caste system? Not really, since one pays for this

Type of accommodation , it is NOT Inherited . LOL:)

It's not line cutting, it's priority dinner reservations! :)

I didn't mean that they were the line cutters......I meant line cutters in general, but thanks. :)

Salacia, I personally don't think of a Cunard class system at all....you book a suite and you eat in the grills.....great. The rest of the ship.....we are all equal and that's what's important to me. I mean really, if we got off the ship thinking we had been treated as "second class", I don't think any of us would be so anxious to book again.

I'm sure Princess has a gracious way of getting the suite passengers to their table without elbowing the rest out of the way. I'm absolutely certain they don't do what I was picturing. :D

I am still trying to figure out how to get down to those third Class passengers in steerage - they seem to have great parties down there,-- and I do like Irish jigs !!!

Barry

I will let you come down next time your on A Cunard ship:), we dont have windows though,

This thread has become so much more than I intended. I admit that my title was provocative; however, I had posted it after reading some of the ship's reviews and other threads where it seemed that SOME passengers SOUNDED more snobby than those on other cruise lines. (I know there is a difference between sounding snobby and being snobby.) I think those comments, though, had a lot to do with dress codes. I think that if there is a code we should all stick to it out of "respect" for others. I know full well that there will always be a hierarchy of service on any ship having traveled in suites on other lines. I stand by my point, though, that other lines have all passengers eating in the same main dining restaurants and that specialty restaurants are also open to all. Will Cunard be able to continue such dining distinctions? Perhaps. Then, my questions are: why/why not?

.....I stand by my point, though, that other lines have all passengers eating in the same main dining restaurants and that specialty restaurants are also open to all. Will Cunard be able to continue such dining distinctions? Perhaps. Then, my questions are: why/why not?

No that's not true. Celebrity aqua suite passengers don't eat in the MDR but exclusively in Blu. No one else has access. On RCL suite passengers have exclusive access to another restaurant for breakfast.

No that's not true. Celebrity aqua suite passengers don't eat in the MDR but exclusively in Blu. No one else has access. On RCL suite passengers have exclusive access to another restaurant for breakfast.

...and, as has been previously mentioned, NCL has an exclusive Haven restaurant/pool/sundeck for suite passengers. Holland America has the Neptune Lounge for the exclusive use of suite passengers, as well as "priority reservations" (a system similar to the one used on Princess). Princess offers only suite passengers breakfast at Sabitini's and exclusive use of the Elite Lounge.

Anyone who thinks only Cunard has different venues for suite passengers is simply ignoring facts.

Edited by Salacia

… I stand by my point, though, that other lines have all passengers eating in the same main dining restaurants and that specialty restaurants are also open to all. Will Cunard be able to continue such dining distinctions? Perhaps. Then, my questions are: why/why not?

Do you find "you get what you pay for" incomprehensible? Or unfair?