Warning in St Maarten /St Martin

mcrcruiser

I believe I got the way it spreads. Infected Mosquito bites Bob in Martinique;), a mosquito in Boston then bites Bob and gets infected. Hopefully Bob kills the mosquito but let's say he doesn't. Now the mosquito and Bob both are carriers. Please tell me if I got this correct.:)

Regards to the OP reasoning that the spread of the virus is by mosquito only has holes in it ;because the virus did start from both Africa & Asia .Mosquitos would have a tough time surviving that length of time & distance:rolleyes:

. Seems to me that it is a human carrier, in the early states of the virus ,that gets bit by a mosquito & thus gets the virus from that human carrier:eek: Thus ,I agree with you on this point

Edited by mcrcruiser

This is the latest report we could find when requesting the most current information for this virus on St Martin /St Maarten ;).It was dated Jan 28 ,2014 . The report is from the Canadian equivalent of the CDC & they have their warning now at a Level 2 (click on Level 2 & you will see Level 1 ,3 & 4 information) :

http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/tmp-pmv/notices-avis/notices-avis-eng.php?id=120

This is the latest report we could find when requesting the most current information for this virus on St Martin /St Maarten ;).It was dated Jan 28 ,2014 . The report is from the Canadian equivalent of the CDC & they have their warning now at a Level 2 (click on Level 2 & you will see Level 1 ,3 & 4 information) :

Ya St. Martin is level 2 and Sochi, Russia is Level 1. Makes you wonder doesn't it?

I posted that the Canadian Equivalent had St. Maarten at a Level 2 back on January 10th on the So Many Mosquito Threads thread. It's because of the new presence of Chikunguya in the Western Hemisphere. Anyways, the Jan 28, 2014 posting is just an update and not an increase in the Level so that should make you feel a little better.

I posted that the Canadian Equivalent had St. Maarten at a Level 2 back on January 10th on the So Many Mosquito Threads thread. It's because of the new presence of Chikunguya in the Western Hemisphere. Anyways, the Jan 28, 2014 posting is just an update and not an increase in the Level so that should make you feel a little better.

We will arrive in St Maarten /St Martin on March 6th aboard Celebrity Silhouette. since we had been to this island 3 times in the past ,we have decided not to go ashore ;). Yet we will apply mosquito repellents while in this port :).

Since the latest report is Jan 28th ,we must wonder WHY ? there have been NO resent updates on the internet:rolleyes: . If they have improved treatment of this issue they should report it & if the virus is spreading then that should also be reported . We must wonder what is really happening in the Eastern Caribbean today :eek:

We will arrive in St Maarten /St Martin on March 6th aboard Celebrity Silhouette. since we had been to this island 3 times in the past ,we have decided not to go ashore ;). Yet we will apply mosquito repellents while in this port :).

Since the latest report is Jan 28th ,we must wonder WHY ? there have been NO resent updates on the internet:rolleyes: . If they have improved treatment of this issue they should report it & if the virus is spreading then that should also be reported . We must wonder what is really happening in the Eastern Caribbean today :eek:

I think people are checking to make sure they have no stagnant water where Mosquitos can breed and applying bug spray and getting on with their lives, that's what I think is happening in the Eastern Caribbean today.:)

I think people are checking to make sure they have no stagnant water where Mosquitos can breed and applying bug spray and getting on with their lives, that's what I think is happening in the Eastern Caribbean today.:)

That would be good so that the threat is lessened ;however until their is more official news from the CDC ,Canadian CDC & or European CDC ,then the issue is as it has been :eek:

PS We don't want to post some thing that gives people reading these posts false hopes that the virus is knocjked down & that mosquito repellent use is no longer needed .

Edited by mcrcruiser

That would be good so that the threat is lessened ;however until their is more official news from the CDC ,Canadian CDC & or European CDC ,then the issue is as it has been :eek:

PS We don't want to post some thing that gives people reading these posts false hopes that the virus is knocjked down & that mosquito repellent use is no longer needed .

No and I covered bug spray in my post. :) We don't want them to panic and not enjoy their day on the island either.;)

My husband & I just returned from a week's stay at orient Beach. We didn't see one mosquito the entire time. Mosquitos love my husband so if any were around they would have found him. We walked the beach every morning and night and sat by the pool or beach from 10 in the morning until 5 in the evening. We ate all our meals out side too. Just sayin!

My husband & I just returned from a week's stay at orient Beach. We didn't see one mosquito the entire time. Mosquitos love my husband so if any were around they would have found him. We walked the beach every morning and night and sat by the pool or beach from 10 in the morning until 5 in the evening. We ate all our meals out side too. Just sayin!

That is good to hear :). Did the authorities post any news about the number of effected cases ? The last we heard that there was over 400 on the island:o

For us Seniors over 65 & any one with high blood pressure ,diabetes or heart problems are at very high risk if bitten by the mosquito carrying that virus ,per a CDC directive on caution . I am one of those at very high risk . Thus my high level of concern . If my doctor would provide a letter so we could cancel this trip & get our $6000 refunded by trip insurance I would do it in a heart beat & take a Hawaii cruise from LA .We are in total penalty faze ,on our trip & had no knowledge of this Nasty virus ,when we originally booked :o.It was because a person posted the information on our roll call that all the info has been posted to warn folks

.BTW the cruise lines are NOT warning passengers ,yet they have mosquito spray for sale on the ships & all the crew members have mosquito spray in their cabins .Go figure :rolleyes:

When we arrive at St Maarten the week of March 2nd on Silhouette ,we plan to stay on the ship & still use mosquito repellent ,to be sure to be safe ,even if there are sea breezes ;). I have the vision like we saw in Florence Italy ,that mosquitos can fly up 13 stories into a Hilton hotel window (130 feet ) .They bit us & were all over the ceiling ;which had to be sprayed .Thank God they were not malignant carriers:eek:

Did you use bugspray and if yes which kind because I would like to recommend it to someone?

Thanks for the recent info.:)

For the poster that asked about recent updates, CDC updated February 6, 2014, still Level 1- Practice Usual Precautions vs. Canada @ Level 2 - Practice Special Precautions.

If I copied correctly, you should find the item at:

http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices/watch/chikungunya-saint-martin

Only difference from earlier item is they added Dominica to the list.

It was because a person posted the information on our roll call that all the info has been posted to warn folks

:

Absolutely 100% false information. LauraS from cc posted this on the cc news on Dec 19th and Gary who is a well respected poster on this board started his "Too Many Mosquito Threads thread so he could start one with Local News" on Dec 20th.

The first mention of the virus on your roll call was January 10/14. Please correct me if I am incorrect.

Edited by Karysa

No one here can eradicate diseases in any ports of call, including St. Maarten.

Neither can anyone refund a cruise fare based on a cruiser's fear of disease. We get it from your multiple posts that you are older, have health problems and think you should get a refund, and then maybe your cruise line could transfer some itineraries to a location more convenient to your hometown in California.

Nor should anyone have to read political views on a cruise forum.

Thanks to those who have provided links to current information from valued news sources and the CDC.

Absolutely 100% false information. LauraS from cc posted this on the cc news on Dec 19th and Gary who is a well respected poster on this board started his "Too Many Mosquito Threads thread so he could start one with Local News" on Dec 20th.

The first mention of the virus on your roll call was January 10/14. Please correct me if I am incorrect.

Hmmm accusations --The truth for us is & still is that we were unaware of this virus until a poster came on our web site March 2nd Eastern Caribbean cruise on Celebrity Silhouette . We did not see the news on cruise critic contrary to your post above . Feel free to see my posts after the first alert by a cruise critic member on our roll call .Then I expect a apology from you :eek:

Could the spread be because of something similar to the Chickenpox mentality that was once so prevalent in North America? Like chickenpox, Chikunguya is uncomfortable but normally not fatal and once you got it you had immunity for life in most cases? Perhaps people would rather get it on their own schedule not unlike people bringing their kids to chickenpox parties in order to have their kids catch chickenpox at a convienient time. Now that there is a vaccine for chickenpox you don't here of this anymore but it was not uncommon even a decade and a half ago.

It was on the cruisecritic news as of Dec 19, 2013. It has been an active topic on the St. Maarten board as well since that time.

This was from page one long before post #60 where you accuse cc (without using that word) of not having information on Chikunguya. Even after this was kindly pointed out to you, you posted that it wasn't posted until someone posted about it (on January 10th) on your roll call that it has been a cc topic. Not sure why you are debating this again. I asked you earlier if there was mention of it on your rolcall before January 10th, 2014. If there was I would guess that you would have posted something along with sticky tongues and a ROTFFL ( I will ask my 10 year old niece if I have that one right because I haven't seen it in years and it has since been removed but my comment about the dates Chikunguya was reported here has remained)

Edited by Karysa

Because of the threat of illness every one will make their own decision .My posts are not to change any ones decision to take trips to the Eastern Caribbean ;but ,simply to post the facts & substantiating links ;)

At your suggestion I went over to your roll all and will share your initial response to the poster who brought this news to your roll call on January 10th, a good 3 weeks after it hit the cc news and the St. Martin forum. ( the last 3 pages of your roll call are really eye opening)

Here is what you said on your roll call after hearing about Chikunguya in St. Martin ( post 268 I believe)

" Thanks so much for the CDC warning in St. Martin ;):) we have been to this island numerous times & if the problem persists, we will just stay on the ship.;) . Really not much for us to see or do there."

Edited by Karysa

At your suggestion I went over to your roll all and will share your initial response to the poster who brought this news to your roll call on January 10th, a good 3 weeks after it hit the cc news and the St. Martin forum. ( the last 3 pages of your roll call are really eye opening)

Here is what you said on your roll call after hearing about Chikunguya in St. Martin ( post 268 I believe)

" Thanks so much for the CDC warning in St. Martin ;):) we have been to this island numerous times & if the problem persists, we will just stay on the ship.;) . Really not much for us to see or do there."

Yes that is true we are staying on the ship;) . Just too much of a risk to be exposed to what is occurring with the mosquito infestation . Not at all safe imho .

Yes ,I would really like not to take this trip because of my /our ages & medical problems elevation our risk factor .however ,only if the doctor says in a letter that in his medical opinion we can be killed or be extremely ill if bitten . Then & only then can I go to the trip insurance for their determination . I don't force issues I just am rather concerned & in the light of the Feb 9th NY Times article ,most people should be concerned & take every precaution known to man . Dengue is not some thing to ignore :eek:

This trip out of pocket is close to $5500 & it is insured

Edited by mcrcruiser

Yes that is true we are staying on the ship;) . Just too much of a risk to be exposed to what is occurring with the mosquito infestation . Not at all safe imho .

Yes ,I would really like not to take this trip because of my /our ages & medical problems elevation our risk factor .however ,only if the doctor says in a letter that in his medical opinion we can be killed or be extremely ill if bitten . Then & only then can I go to the trip insurance for their determination . I don't force issues I just am rather concerned & in the light of the Feb 9th NY Times article ,most people should be concerned & take every precaution known to man . Dengue is not some thing to ignore :eek:

This trip out of pocket is close to $5500 & it is insured

Are you going to Puerto Rico? You may want to stay on the ship there as well due to Dengue Fever. Although, like Dengue in St Martin I haven't noticed cruisers posting that they have become ill with it.

Are you going to Puerto Rico? You may want to stay on the ship there as well due to Dengue Fever. Although, like Dengue in St Martin I haven't noticed cruisers posting that they have become ill with it.

No one ill hmmm:rolleyes:-- then you haven't read the 4 part post by wshaw359 . He has been in misery for about 2 months .he got a mosquito bite at orient beach .Check it out it ins on the St Martin threads .His posts will enlighten you:eek:

Yup & we have been to PR recently :D In fact we spent one week there ;however we did not know of the Dengue at that time ,otherwise we would not have gone .It is no sense putting one self in harms way purposely .:eek:

Edited by mcrcruiser

CC member wshaw described symptoms of Chikunguya not dengue. I believe that he was infected with Chikunguya. I have never read ( doesn't mean it hasn't happened) of any cruiser coming down with Dengue and naming St. Martin as the source.

Edited by Karysa