Top 6 Most Hygienic Cruise lines

RVachon

We just got back from a back to back cruise on NCL and Carnival, and there was a big difference. On Epic they'd spray our hands with antibacterial wash when we'd get on the ship from port, before we'd walk into the buffet area, and there were hand washing stations everywhere. On Carnival nobody sprays your hands, there are hand washing stations but we found that they were often empty.

We just got back from a back to back cruise on NCL and Carnival, and there was a big difference. On Epic they'd spray our hands with antibacterial wash when we'd get on the ship from port, before we'd walk into the buffet area, and there were hand washing stations everywhere. On Carnival nobody sprays your hands, there are hand washing stations but we found that they were often empty.

Both Carnival and NCL have lots and lots of restrooms. I think most of them have a sink to wash your hands. Why do people need a washy washy person to wash their hands for them? I constantly wash my hands in the restroom. Not sure why adults don't, especially on a cruise ship.

Both Carnival and NCL have lots and lots of restrooms. I think most of them have a sink to wash your hands. Why do people need a washy washy person to wash their hands for them? I constantly wash my hands in the restroom. Not sure why adults don't, especially on a cruise ship.

I never said I needed a washy washy person, I was just commenting on the difference between the cruiselines in regards to this. I do wash my hands when I go to the bathroom but even outside of the bathroom I'm constantly touching surfaces that other people have touched, elevator buttons, slot machines etc. Then people go to the buffet and touch food/utensils, so it did feel nice to know that everyone at the Epic buffet had been "washy washied".

I never said I needed a washy washy person, I was just commenting on the difference between the cruiselines in regards to this. I do wash my hands when I go to the bathroom but even outside of the bathroom I'm constantly touching surfaces that other people have touched, elevator buttons, slot machines etc. Then people go to the buffet and touch food/utensils, so it did feel nice to know that everyone at the Epic buffet had been "washy washied".

Do you wash or santize your hands between touches of the utensils on the buffet? Do you wash your hands after filling your plate at the buffet and then sitting down to eat? If not, you are at a very high risk to catch something.

P.S. Not everyone at the buffet has been washy washied. I never allow them to spray my hands, ever.

Edited by Love my butler

Not to mention that anti-bacterial soaps and gels do nothing to combat noro. The best defense is good 'ole soap and water :)

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Forums mobile app

Good old soap and water and wiping away 90% of the germs on PAPER TOWELS.

PS, one of the worst places to pick up any virus is on the hand rails... in the halls but especially on the stairs.............DON'T TOUCH THEM!! :)

Edited by B6ConMe

Do you wash or santize your hands between touches of the utensils on the buffet? Do you wash your hands after filling your plate at the buffet and then sitting down to eat? If not, you are at a very high risk to catch something.

P.S. Not everyone at the buffet has been washy washied. I never allow them to spray my hands, ever.

Hand sanitizers are reccommended as a supplement to hand washing.

I am appalled at anyone refusing to allow the cruise line employees to use the spray sanitizer on them when entering any area of the ship that handles food. Sanitizers do kill bacteria such as E Coli that could escape hand washing and could remain on your hands.

I am appalled at anyone refusing to allow the cruise line employees to use the spray sanitizer on them when entering any area of the ship that handles food. Sanitizers do kill bacteria such as E Coli that could escape hand washing and could remain on your hands.

I agree, we always get sprayed with sanitizer, as well, we just don't depend solely on it, washing is very important too. It all adds up to cleaner pax, cleaner ship. :)

I can't see refusing either, if I did see someone refusing I'd make sure to stay away from anything they touch at the buffet :)

I can't see refusing either, if I did see someone refusing I'd make sure to stay away from anything they touch at the buffet :)

Ditto :D

Love the idea of the hand-washing sinks at the entrance to the restaurants on the new ships, another WTG Norwegian...:)

Ditto :D

Love the idea of the hand-washing sinks at the entrance to the restaurants on the new ships, another WTG Norwegian...:)

Here is a link to a website that pretty well supports the idea of using sanitizers as a supplement to hand washing.

Common sense also comes into play with this, but some may not be able to comprehend the connection.

http://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/news/20130208/hand-sanitizers-germs?page=2

Here is a link to a website that pretty well supports the idea of using sanitizers as a supplement to hand washing.

Common sense also comes into play with this, but some may not be able to comprehend the connection.

http://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/news/20130208/hand-sanitizers-germs?page=2

Yes, you're so right, I understand how important hand washing and hand sanitizing is for everyone, everywhere, not just on cruise ships. I worked in a medical facility for over 20 yrs and 1 of the major problems back then still remains today... people don't wash/clean their hands sufficiently.... :(