Top 6 Most Hygienic Cruise lines

RVachon

You know one thing I noticed on the Breakaway that I really liked is the fact that there are actual hand washing stations at the entrance to the Buffet. Such a simple thing to add and for me it was definitely a reminder that I should go wash my hands. And much better than just the goopy gel. I hope more ships pick up on the trend.

Jen

Just an observation, but Carnival hasn't had a norovirus outbreak on a ship since 2011.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Forums mobile app

There was one on carnival glory in 2012.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

NCL's #2, NCL's #2!!!!!!!;)

Great news.

Very nice cleanliness record to be sure.

(especially since #1 Costa has one less ship to drag down their percentages)

Congrats...

Glad this article made your day and for sharing it with everyone.

Edited by bguppies

The Jade had an outbreak of some kind of GI illness on the Jan 8 2014 departure. I KNOW this because we were on the ship. And both sick for 24 hours. The ship was entirely disinfected during a port stop, the buffets were not self service for a couple of days, frequent announcements and apologies were made by the cruise director, and washy washy guys were relentless.

That said, we give BIG kudos to NCL for dealing with the problem quickly, openly and effectively.

Edited by jkgourmet

The Jade had an outbreak on the Jan 8 2014 departure. I know this because we were on the ship. And both mildly sick.

That said, we give BIG kudos to NCL for dealing with the problem quickly, openly and effectively.

Since the Jade never makes a port call in the US, they do not have to report outbreaks to the CDC. The CDC has no jurisdiction over ships not entering the US.

Noro outbreaks have little or nothing to do with cruise line sanitation practices. Someone who has acquired the virus boards the ship, and the virus spreads from that individual or individuals and causes an outbreak on board. Of course cruise lines with better sanitation programs may stand a better chance of controlling outbreaks more quickly .

Since the Jade never makes a port call in the US, they do not have to report outbreaks to the CDC. The CDC has no jurisdiction over ships not entering the US.

Noro outbreaks have little or nothing to do with cruise line sanitation practices. Someone who has acquired the virus boards the ship, and the virus spreads from that individual or individuals and causes an outbreak on board. Of course cruise lines with better sanitation programs may stand a better chance of controlling outbreaks more quickly .

And they didn't base this list on the number of outbreaks either.

And they didn't base this list on the number of outbreaks either.

I didn't say the list was based on the number of illness outbreaks. I know it was based on the CDC inspections.

Did you see that I had quoted a previous post...not something you wrote? I responding specifically to a comment on an outbreak on the Jade, and explaining why that outbreak didn't appear on the CDC's list of outbreaks.

NCL's #2, NCL's #2!!!!!!!;)

Great news.

Very nice cleanliness record to be sure.

(especially since #1 Costa has one less ship to drag down their percentages)

Congrats...

Glad this article made your day and for sharing it with everyone.

Agree almost..................I think NCL should be first because all their ships are afloat.;) time to knock on wood and do a couple of Hail Marys

Agree almost..................I think NCL should be first because all their ships are afloat.;) time to knock on wood and do a couple of Hail Marys

LOL, I was thinking of that earlier also. Lets see, would I rather have noro or sink with the ship? Seems like a no brainer. :D

Ironic since NCL had the first noro outbreak of the year as reported to the CDC.

One of my favorite ships, the Star.

How does a Noro outbreak relate to the hygiene of the ship ?

The Star passed the 10/13/2013 inspection with a score of 94 which is well above the score that is considered by the CDC as failing. The reports of more recent inspections are not available.

As info to the uninformed ---- The noro virus can be carried onto a ship by various means and spreads rapidly. It is not an indication of the ship being dirty.

Edited by swedish weave

The Star passed the 10/13/2013 inspection with a score of 94 which is well above the score that is considered by the CDC as failing. The reports of more recent inspections are not available.

As info to the uninformed ---- The noro virus can be carried onto a ship by various means and spreads rapidly. It is not an indication of the ship being dirty.

Thanks, my thoughts exactly. I was getting ready to post something like this. Yes, NCL has always had top ratings for having clean ships and yes, I am sure "washy washy" helps, but noro virus is spread in many ways. HAL has a high number (or did) of noro problems, I don't think their ships are not clean. We could debate this forever.

Let's just say the good news is: NCL has very clean ships. Thanks NCL...

Since I was on the sailing where the Star outbreak occurred I can say we likely picked it up shore-side in Costa Rica. A large number of guests went shore-side there and cleanliness standards ashore were not great. Fresh CUT fruit was being served during our shore tour which a large number of guests from the ship took. Since I didn't know their food preparation procedures at that stop I didn't partake. I never contracted any GI symptoms the entire cruise. I do believe it was brought on the ship from a port of call given the spike during and just after the Panama Canal transit. All indications point to something happening ashore in Costa Rica and magnified by unclean people on the ship who didn't wash their hands!!! :(

The only cruise I've ever fallen ill on was Carnival. The sink fixture in the stateroom on that ship lifted off every time you went to wash your hands. I would be stunned if Carnival was anywhere on the list of hygienic cruise lines. :eek:

Since I was on the sailing where the Star outbreak occurred I can say we likely picked it up shore-side in Costa Rica. A large number of guests went shore-side there and cleanliness standards ashore were not great. Fresh CUT fruit was being served during our shore tour which a large number of guests from the ship took. Since I didn't know their food preparation procedures at that stop I didn't partake. I never contracted any GI symptoms the entire cruise. I do believe it was brought on the ship from a port of call given the spike during and just after the Panama Canal transit. All indications point to something happening ashore in Costa Rica and magnified by unclean people on the ship who didn't wash their hands!!! :(

The only cruise I've ever fallen ill on was Carnival. The sink fixture in the stateroom on that ship lifted off every time you went to wash your hands. I would be stunned if Carnival was anywhere on the list of hygienic cruise lines. :eek:

Was on the cruise also and was very impressed the way NCL was very quick to respond to the problem. We nor any of our friends (6) cruising with us became ill. I truly Believe our HD Yannis had a lot to do with keeping it under control.

Thanks for posting the article, although I think just for the numbers of perfect scores alone Norwegian just have been listed in 1st place but these numbers really tell a great story for Norwegian!!

Cruise line Total inspections Inspections with perfect score

Costa 30 37 percent

Norwegian 143 28 percent

Oceana 26 27 percent

Disney 48 21 percent

Crystal 31 16 percent

Seabourn 38 5 percent