norwegian Dawn

lyndaedris

We are thinking of sailing on the Norwegian Dawn in Dec. Can anyone give me some feedback on the ship. :confused: WE usually only travel on RCCL because of the climbing wall plus we enjoy their ships, service, food etc. etc.

I believe it is a 10 or 11 day cruise and before I commited to a cruise that long on a line I have never used, I would really appreciate feed back from anyone.

Lynda

I had a wonderful time on the Dawn. I loved the number and diversity of dining venues. I'm also a big fan of NCL's Freestyle policies. Before you book the Dawn, you need to be aware of and, at the very least, anticipate liking NCL's Freestyle policies:

1) Freestyle dining - This means you get to choose when, with whom, and where you want to dine. You can eat when you're actually hungry. Or when it suits your schedule. No rushing to get ready if you just returned from a late excursion, for instance. You can have an early dinner at 5:30 and decide to have dessert (or another meal, for that matter) at 9. There is no traditional dining alternative offered by NCL, as on RCI. On the Dawn, there is a wide variety and large selection of dining venues - some "included", some with a surcharge. The cuisines include French, Japanese, Tex-Mex, Italian, and American steakhouse, all in addition to the main dining rooms.

2) Freestyle dress code - On NCL, "resort casual" attire is deemed appropriate every night, including the optional formal night(s). So, dress up if that's what you prefer. But know that "resort casual" will never be frowned upon.

3) Freestyle disembarkation - On NCL, you are allowed to stay in your cabin until your disembarkation category is called. You are not required to vacate your cabin and wait in a public lounge.

As far as the other factors (food, service, entertainment, etc.), you will receive opinions that run the gamut - from loving NCL to abhorring NCL, but probably many that fall somewhere in between. Based on reading the other CC boards, the same can be said of pretty much all the mainstream lines.

Hello Linda, I was just on the Dawn 7/3 to 7/10, our first cruise with NCL. I traveled with my husband and 2 kids ages 11 and 13 - also, with my brother and sister-in-law and their 2 children ages 12 and 15. I agree with John on the freestyle dinning. We loved being able to eat at different times during our cruise. As far as what cruise to choose, thats a hard one. Our childrens opinion, although had a great time, felt there was much more to do on the Voyager(RCCL) and also on the Legend(Carnival). Us, the adults, had a wonderful time. The ship was beautiful, the service was great, the food was good....the only pay restuarant we ate at was the Steak House (Cagney's) and for me personally, (please everyone, it is just my opinion) It was good, but did not warrent a surcharge. We ate at Aqua, Venetian, and LaTrattoria. As far as the entertainment, we only went 2 nights. One night was a comedy variey show featuring "Edge" we all enjoyed that as well as the kids. It was really funny!!! The second show we saw was "Bollywood" singing and dancing, and it was good. We did go to one of the adult only shows and certainly had some laughs.

We did the 7 day cruise - Swam with dolphins in Miami, that was great!!!!! Stayed on the ship in Port Canaveral and enjoyed the pool while everyone was off the ship. My brother and sister-in-law went to Daytona Race track and had a blast - Wanted to parasail on the private island, however, it was cancelled because of the wind, but went swimming in the ocean and that was great, and last but not least the Bahama's - took a cab to Atlantis, beautiful hotel, and them did some shopping in the am.

All and all we had another wonderful cruise, I would highly recommend NCL, just like I would highly recommend RCCL and Carnival. They are all just different ships, unique in their own way, but with one thing in common, TO HAVE FUN AND ENJOY!!!!!. What ever cruise you choose, I hope you have a wonderful time!!!! Sue

We loved the Dawn, beautiful ship and great service. Really good entertainment. Our kids liked the Dawn kids club better than other ships.We also like Celebrity and RCI, each has its strong points.

As an aside, if you're a big fan of traditional dining it is possiible to arrange same table and waiter nightly. That's what we do and it's no problem since we eat realtively early, 6 PM. This works best for us since we have small children. But the flexibility of freestyle dining really is a plus.

We liked the DAwn so much we're sailing on her a second time next month. First time we've repeated a cruise, which says something,

Do a search on the Dawn on this board and you'll find a never-ending amount of info on the Dawn. For starters, here are a few web sites that'll keep you busy:

http://cruiseclues.com/shipstips/norwegiandawn.htm

http://www.*****.com/users/glory4usa1/index.html

http://community.webshots.com/album/341385662TvTLSc

http://travel.travelocity.com/ecruise/ShipDetailsDeck.do?pagerIndex=&resultsIndex=&shipId=156&deckId=

Happy Sailing!!!! You'll absolutely LOVE the Dawn. We did!!! :D :D

We have done three cruises on the Dawn and look forward to boarding her again in January. After many cruises on other cruiselines, Dawn converted us to free-style dining and we appreciate NCL giving us so many cruise options round trip out of New York- no more flying for us.

Oops, sorry, I wasn't supposed to say the t-word..and it's too late to edit....anyway if the above gets deleted, my main focus was that we'd go on the Dawn again in a heartbeat, and especially at currently advertised prices for December - we can't because we're expecting in November. We were on the Dawn a year and a half ago and really enjoyed everything - the ship, the food, the room, etc.

Oops, sorry, I wasn't supposed to say the t-word..and it's too late to edit....anyway if the above gets deleted, my main focus was that we'd go on the Dawn again in a heartbeat, and especially at currently advertised prices for December - we can't because we're expecting in November. We were on the Dawn a year and a half ago and really enjoyed everything - the ship, the food, the room, etc.
Sorry...I did have to move your comments but glad you reposted and got your opinion out there. Also...I'm in the same position of DYING to go on a cruise but I'm expecting a baby in October. After reading countless comments on traveling with babies, we're trying to figure out when we should try to take the first post baby cruise. Good luck! I'm due 10/15. With this summer heat...it can't get here fast enough!

Cecilia:

Hate to shang-hai this thread but just wanted to answer as we appear to be in the same boat from others of your posts - I'm 34, 1st time pregnancy, completely at a loss as to what we're about to do, too. :) I'm due about 3 weeks after you - didn't know it was hot in Denver too! It's killing me here in NY - so humid lately!

Some things we've been thinking about regarding cruising with baby (and after reading some threads - obviously NOT letting baby in pool!):

1. What are the chances baby will get Norovirus on board - she's not eating the buffet food, touching elevator buttons, etc., but it seems that it's a more "concentrated" area for illness as compared to going to Nantucket, etc.

2. Different cruise lines have different "minimum ages" - I think the lowest I've seen is 4 months old, but I don't remember which line that was. Most mommies I've talked to seemed to think it's easier to travel with an infant than a toddler. We ran into a couple in Alaska who had their 9-month-old daughter (paid full price for her!) - I don't know if they had the extra room of a balcony/suite, but I know they parked their stroller outside their door. Altho, I must say, the mom looked a little frazzled by the last day. Also have to consider the neighbors and the possibility of baby crying all night (there was a LONG and sometimes nasty thread about traveling with infants on the Princess forum a couple months ago). Maybe cruise with the grandparents for a break now and then? My parents will go but haven't convinced the in-laws about the joys of cruising.

3. Luckily we live near NYC so we can take some cruises right from home with no flying (like the Norwegian Dawn) - altho I've also heard from mommy friends how flying/trains/cruises are so much easier than driving since with driving the baby is trapped in the car seat the whole time and you have to stop the car anytime you need to comfort/breastfeed/change/etc.

4. Sounds like NCL's Freestyle, as well as Princess' PC dining (though I wouldn't go Princess again) and maybe other cruise lines have flexible options - very helpful with kids, as you're not missing out on dinner because someone's fussy, etc. I have to start paying attention to the Kids' club ratings on these ships now though. :) Disney seems like a good option, except for the outrageous prices. I could maybe even get my sister and her family on a Disney cruise - again, a little help from the folks who know what they're doing. :)

5. I have a feeling that if the baby's old enough and we saw a special like the one we saw for the Dawn, we'd go no matter what drawbacks we might have to consider. Seems like the Dawn is very baby- and kid-friendly and as we are going to be *perfect* parents with a *perfectly-behaved* baby ;) everyone will be happy to have us!

Good luck to you!

Kendra

Hate to shang-hai this thread but just wanted to answer as we appear to be in the same boat from others of your posts - I'm 34, 1st time pregnancy, completely at a loss as to what we're about to do, too. :) I'm due about 3 weeks after you - didn't know it was hot in Denver too! It's killing me here in NY - so humid lately!
I'm sorry as well for going so far off topic. :) Please indulge the two pregnant woman. LOL Anyway, I'm 34 right now. I'll be 35 next month and this is our first baby too. Include us in the same category of being completely clueless. :eek:

As for crusing with a baby...I'm very reluctant. I've seen it discussed a lot on this board (usually not a positive discussion) and I've seen babies on cruises and I think it might be more than we want to do. Babies need a lot of stuff. Just look at our nursery! The baby isn't even here yet and I see several things we're going to need every day. And with us living in Denver and having to fly to a port, that's a bigger bite than I want to take. I think we may have to either put off cruising for several years or be very nice to grandma and have her take him for the week! ;) By the way, we're having a boy. What about you?

Cecilia,

Great to hear about the baby. In my opinion, I think you should wait until the baby is about 10 months old to cruise. By that time, he/she can sit up and probably will be sleeping thru the night. He/she will be really cute and alot of people will talk to him/her and the baby will be able to respond with a smile or google. He/She will probably not be walking by then so you can keep them in a stroller and they will probably be happy just looking around.

Hope you are feeling well,

Jeanne

Thanks for the advice, Jeanne!

Cecilia - True about the stuff babies need - we're having a girl, and she's getting a roomful of things already. So small, yet so many THINGS! Diapers alone would probably take up a whole suitcase (but at least it'd be empty for souvenirs on the trip back).

We're most likely going to spend most of our vacation time with this little one and the next (we ARE planning another one - if we can swing it) on road trips but yes, if we can get some other family members to tag along and help out, we'll be cruising again before the kids are school-age. The big IF is how much we'd have to pay for them (I'm NOT paying full fare - I don't mind paying the $10/day gratuity - or more, they're a lot more mess - but I don't see how the cruise line justifies charging an adult rate for a 9-month-old). Cruising is a cheap vacation for a couple, but the more people you add, the less cost-effective it becomes, and then airfare on top of that...

Thanks for the advice, Jeanne!

Cecilia - True about the stuff babies need - we're having a girl, and she's getting a roomful of things already. So small, yet so many THINGS! Diapers alone would probably take up a whole suitcase (but at least it'd be empty for souvenirs on the trip back).

We're most likely going to spend most of our vacation time with this little one and the next (we ARE planning another one - if we can swing it) on road trips but yes, if we can get some other family members to tag along and help out, we'll be cruising again before the kids are school-age. The big IF is how much we'd have to pay for them (I'm NOT paying full fare - I don't mind paying the $10/day gratuity - or more, they're a lot more mess - but I don't see how the cruise line justifies charging an adult rate for a 9-month-old). Cruising is a cheap vacation for a couple, but the more people you add, the less cost-effective it becomes, and then airfare on top of that...

Do children cruise for free?

Children under two cruise at substantially reduced prices when staying in a stateroom with two or more paying guests. However, government fees still apply.

http://www.ncl.com/more/fp_mi_w2n.htm#08

A fixed service charge of $10 per person, per day will be added to your onboard account. For children ages 3-12, a $5 per person per day charge will be added to your onboard account; there is no charge for children under the age of three.

http://www.ncl.com/more/fp_mi_w2n.htm#18

Thanks shoreguy- I knew there were some fees - I've seen where kids/3rd passenger cruises for $199 specials, that sort of thing, and I knew they paid port charges, but I can't see paying full fare.

Also, if we were to cruise with the young'uns - with diapers and who knows what other gross stuff to clean or take out of the garbage - I'd be handing extra $$ to the steward right from the start. As a couple, we're very neat and clean - I don't make the bed, but I try to neaten up before we leave the cabin to the steward. As a family, I know we're going to be messier - squished Cheerios on the carpet, etc. - maybe kids should pay $15/day instead of $5! Oh, no here come the flames!

What??? You're already planning another one? Wow...you must be having a good pregnancy. I'm absolutely miserable with some pretty uncommon symptoms that not a lot of women get. I can't wait for it to be over and we've already decided to not have any more. :D Actually, we decided long before this one that there would only be one it's just confirmed now.

I'm still very leary of cruising with a baby. I've cruised so much and seen so many families have what looks like a harder time. I think if we cruised with a child it would be when the child is old enough to have some understanding of where we are and what we're doing. I think 7 or 8 years old would be a good age to start cruising. But what do I know? I've never had a baby before. Maybe everything I've thought out will be changed completely.

What??? You're already planning another one? Wow...you must be having a good pregnancy. I'm absolutely miserable with some pretty uncommon symptoms that not a lot of women get. I can't wait for it to be over and we've already decided to not have any more. :D Actually, we decided long before this one that there would only be one it's just confirmed now.

I'm still very leary of cruising with a baby. I've cruised so much and seen so many families have what looks like a harder time. I think if we cruised with a child it would be when the child is old enough to have some understanding of where we are and what we're doing. I think 7 or 8 years old would be a good age to start cruising. But what do I know? I've never had a baby before. Maybe everything I've thought out will be changed completely.

One is a very good number:D We made that decision and never regretted it.

You are absolutely correct on the age of 7 or 8 on ANY big vacation ($$$) They do enjoy it more and REMEMBER it. IMHO take them to local parks and zoos.........day trips are good:)

I think if we cruised with a child it would be when the child is old enough to have some understanding of where we are and what we're doing. I think 7 or 8 years old would be a good age to start cruising. But what do I know? I've never had a baby before. Maybe everything I've thought out will be changed completely.

We have 5 and 3 year old girls and we will wait until they are at least 8 and 6 before we cruise with them. We prefer the break (Oma does not mind taking them for two weeks:) ). When they are old enough to enjoy it and better able to take care of themselves, we will definately do it! And yes, we will take them out of school to travel with us.:D (much to the shagrin of some people. Don't worry, they are pretty well behaved)

All of the cruise fares and taxes seems reasonable, but to cruisingbug's point, it does get $$$ when flying with the kids, especially for us.

Oh, no, I feel like C**p. I've had nosebleeds (every few days), horrible eczema and possibly something called intertrigo (ITCHY, SO ITCHY), flat feet so I can barely walk in the morning, heartburn - and every mommy I've talked to says, "What? Nosebleeds? I didn't have that!" I even had a lovely spontaneous nosebleed in the middle of the dining room at lunch on the Island Princess. I messed up their pretty cloth napkin.

We just decided we want two, and I want to get the diaper stage over asap, so we're figuring two years apart or so. Plus I've got that very large clock ticking over my head.

We love to travel, cruising or no, and my parents used to take us all over when we were kids. I know I've been to places as a little kid that I don't remember (Thousand Islands, Maine, Grand Canyon), but I think it helped in making me appreciate traveling, so we don't plan to slow down our travels *too* much, just probably more local trips and "easy" trips (since we don't have to fly, cruising out of NYC is an "easy" trip). With cruising, at least, you don't have to drive, pack and unpack, etc., so once you're settled, there you are and you can see different things every day. Although to a kid, it's all about "Where's the sand so I can eat it?"

mykidsmom: Do you mean Voyager of the Seas was better as far as being kid- or baby-friendly? We haven't been on Royal Caribbean yet but would like to check them out. And

In May we were on the Majesty with my new granddaughter. She was eight and a half months and turned 9 months on the trip. One thing that stood out was for every baby there, so were the grandparents. I know this made it easier for the new parents to able to do things. We shared the duites. The cost for her was the port and gov.chargers. We took her to breakfast lunch and dinner. Went on the ferry and shoppped in town, went to some shows that were in the afternoon with her she a a great time, loved the music. I am glad I went. My granddaughter and I got real close. I had just come home from the Dawn. I jumped at the chance to be with her. I liked the Majesty so much, we are going this Sunday. Something to think about, take nana and popi or just nana with you. The memories are beautiful.:)

I've had nosebleeds, horrible eczema and possibly something called intertrigo, flat feet so I can barely walk in the morning, heartburn
That doesn't sound pleasant at all! I have severe carpel tunnel syndrome in both hands that causes me to lose function for a few hours everyday. I have absolutely no feeling sometimes but a constant tingling all the rest of the time. Thankfully it goes away a week or so after the baby comes. Since my 11th week I've had sciatica problems. Every movement causes some pain. Tums have become a new food group to me and I also have intertrigo. Those are my major things but they're bad enough! LOL
We love to travel, cruising or no, and my parents used to take us all over when we were kids. I know I've been to places as a little kid that I don't remember (Thousand Islands, Maine, Grand Canyon), but I think it helped in making me appreciate traveling, so we don't plan to slow down our travels *too* much, just probably more local trips and "easy" trips. With cruising, at least, you don't have to drive, pack and unpack, etc., so once you're settled, there you are and you can see different things every day.
I grew up this way too. My grandparents used to take us on a road trip every summer. Niagara Falls, Knoxville World's Fair, Disneyworld to name a few. So I know exactly what you mean about wanting to keep traveling. Heck, I've been to 42 countries and can't wait to go to more so this baby better have a good suitcase. :) My mom took me and my sister on our first cruise in 1984 on the Norway. So cruising is definitely in my blood. It's just a big transition having a baby and trying to figure out how to fit it into the way we travel. We're used to traveling a certain way and now that's all up in the air. But you're right...cruising will probably be a great way to travel with kids because you only have to unpack once and get everything you need in one place.

Since my 11th week I've had sciatica problems. Every movement causes some pain.

Heck, I've been to 42 countries and can't wait to go to more so this baby better have a good suitcase. :)

It's just a big transition having a baby and trying to figure out how to fit it into the way we travel. We're used to traveling a certain way and now that's all up in the air.

I had sciatica briefly - I'm sure you know this, but it helped me to lay on the opposite side. Luckily that went away, but it might be back. Every day's a new fun day!

This isn't a travel agency, so I think I can mention it - but if you've been to 42 countries, have you ever posted tips on Virtual Tourist? I'm over there, too - although I have yet to post my Alaska trip tips.

We feel the same way - just reading how the baby's stuff takes up at least a whole suitcase - it's like a whole new ballgame as far as traveling, and also knowing what's a "good deal" anymore with an extra person. Although, I must say, that being pregnant is a little bit of practice in a few ways. I get hungry about every hour, so if we go ANYWHERE I have to remember to pack a snack bag for myself. And at this point, I'm the one who needs burping! ;)

Sasi Cruiser - I'm glad to hear that you had a good time with your granddaughter - I'm afraid that if we start traveling w/ the grandparents, I would feel like we're "taking advantage" but obviously that's not the case!

Hi all,

I enjoyed reading all your experiences about Dawn. We will go on Sept. 4th trip from New York. We are a group of 8 and drive from Montreal.

I'd like to know how easy to park at the pier. Would we have a long walk to the ship ? Is-it secure to park at the pier ?

Thanks in advance.

Hi all,

I enjoyed reading all your experiences about Dawn. We will go on Sept. 4th trip from New York. We are a group of 8 and drive from Montreal.

I'd like to know how easy to park at the pier. Would we have a long walk to the ship ? Is-it secure to park at the pier ?

Thanks in advance.

Archived