quick question for u all

KrUzTaLkEr

I'll be sailing Valor on January 8-16th, 2006....n i'm thinking about bringing a video camera down......for those of u who have brought them where do u put them...woudl i put it in my carry on case or just bring it as my carry on.....does the airport havea problem with it if it is in ur carry on case will i have to take it out or how do u transport that....also i'm 19 n i'm legal to buy alcohol in mexico if i buy a bottle of it down there can i bring it on the ship or does sumone 21 or over have to bring it on for me cuz i'm not "legal" (lol) on the ship?

Let's see, where do I start. :)

First of all, if you're 19 and not traveling with someone who is a husband, parent, legal guardian or someone at least 25 years old, you aren't going to be allowed onboard. (must be 21 or traveling with someone who is at least 25).

Second, I'd put my camera in my carryon and not let that out of my sight ever. :rolleyes:

Thirdly, you can buy booze in Mexico if your big enough to get your money up on the counter. The trick is getting it onboard. Even those that are of legal drinking age have their booze purchased in ports put in storage to be given to them the last night at sea. (However, do a search, you'll find many who manage to get it by the security when reboarding). :)

Are you traveling with your parents ?

In addition to what was said above, you're going to have a tough time getting alcohol while on the ship, since you'll be "carded" every time you use your Sail and Sign to buy a drink. There are bartenders who might look the other way, but if you're looking for a drunken bash, a cruise might not have been your ideal pick. ;)

Look at it this way, though, even if you don't manage to get drunk, a cruise is *way* better than being at work (or school, as I'm thinking might be in your case).

As for the video camera, keep it in your carryon, and then have a suitcase that you can lock in your room when you aren't carrying it around. Don't leave it in a case, even hidden. Lock it up.

Sounds to me that you will be traveling with an older person(s), or you wouldn't have cruise documents, and you want to buy booze in ports and not let your parents? know you bought it.:rolleyes:

Your S&S card will be 'coded' that you are under 21.

I have taken my camcorder on a few cruises. Always take anything valuable in your carry-on, not in checked luggage. Personally, I take my camcorder in it's case, and other camera in my hand, and ask that they be hand-checked rather than put thru the x-ray machine. Nobody minds doing this.

A little hint about the camcorder. It could shut down on you if you take it directly from your cabin to the outer decks because of condensation. The cabins are very cool, and when you walk right into the heat, it could cause a temporary problem. Best thing is to wrap the camcorder in a towel and put it in it's bag while in the cabin. Take it out only when you are leaving the cabin, so the temperature difference won't make it shut down. (I've had this happen.)

Also - I've never hidden my camera(s) in the cabin. They've always been fine just sitting there. Those cabin stewards aren't going to risk their jobs by taking a camera! I do, however, put my valuables in the cabin safe when I'm not in the cabin.

Hope some of this helps!:)

You also asked about the airlines. I have taken my camcorder in it's leather case on a couple of trips. I take it in my carryon. TSA guys do unzip it and feel around inside, but have never actually taken it out of its bag. Just like any x-ray area, I always ask them to hand-check all my cameras. I take my other camera and film in a ziploc bag so they can see everything.

Travelling out of Buffalo NY, I have asked them not to put the cameras in the Xray machine and to hand check them. They will open the cameras so you better not have film in there, this has happened 3 times travelling out of Buffalo.

Now I am sure not all agents & airports are like this.........

I usually travel with my film in an xray bag that can be purchased at a camera store for about $ 10.00

:)

Alright first off SMART A$$ glrounds....i am traveling with my parents(older than 25) also my brother (older than 21) and his g/f so yes i do have a cruise booked. second thank you everyone for the advice on the video camera...third this goes to GLROUNDS again....YES i am tall enuf to reach my f'ing money on the counter to buy the booze....Then FERN i know i cant buy my own booze on the ship thaz what my parents and brother is for...so dont worry i'll get it! and i've cruised b4 n gotten hammered....but no it's not what i'm going on the cruise for i would like a drink now and then though....so i was just wondering how to get the booze i buy in mexico on the ship.....and cotton yeah my parents dont care if i buy booze in mexico lol...i was just curious if i could bring it on since i was legal in mexico or not...i know they confienscate it til the end but i was just curious....otherwize thank you for the rest of u who helped and didnt make a smart ass remark about my age....it's not liek u guys didnt drink underage! and if u didnt well man i'm sorry! everyone have a safe and happy sailing!!!! enjoy and live life to ur fullest...it only happens once!

Alright first off SMART A$$ glrounds....i am traveling with my parents(older than 25) also my brother (older than 21) and his g/f so yes i do have a cruise booked. second thank you everyone for the advice on the video camera...third this goes to GLROUNDS again....YES i am tall enuf to reach my f'ing money on the counter to buy the booze....Then FERN i know i cant buy my own booze on the ship thaz what my parents and brother is for...so dont worry i'll get it! and i've cruised b4 n gotten hammered....but no it's not what i'm going on the cruise for i would like a drink now and then though....so i was just wondering how to get the booze i buy in mexico on the ship.....and cotton yeah my parents dont care if i buy booze in mexico lol...i was just curious if i could bring it on since i was legal in mexico or not...i know they confienscate it til the end but i was just curious....otherwize thank you for the rest of u who helped and didnt make a smart ass remark about my age....it's not liek u guys didnt drink underage! and if u didnt well man i'm sorry! everyone have a safe and happy sailing!!!! enjoy and live life to ur fullest...it only happens once!

WOW! No need to get an attitude. I think everyone was just trying to answer your questions. The comments about the tall enough to put your money on the counter was a joke. :D See the smile behind his post? Where's your sense of humor? Lots of nice people here to offer any cruise advise they can. Please don't take everything so personally & enjoy the boards.

Plus, what glrounds was saying in a joking way is that, in Mexico, ANYONE who is tall enough to see above the counter can probably buy liquor - meaning that it shouldn't be a problem for YOU. Whether that is a good or bad thing would seem, well, a matter of debate, at best.

....enjoy and live life to ur fullest...it only happens once!

In many respects, I agree. Just remember though, while life IS short, it can seem a lot longer, later, if you try to pack in everything at the beginning. :cool:

...<angry banter>...

Beth. Your age is showing. Don't be uptight because you think you are old enough to do it all. Relax and have fun. You are asking advice of strangers. No need to get nasty if you read something from someone trying to help you and others.

Archived