Has anyone taken the Ferry from Coz to PDC?

h_blond2

We absolutely loved our stop at Playa del Carmen a few years ago and we are considering taking the ferry from Cozumel to PDC on our next cruise. Has anyone done this recently? How did it work for you? I'm kind of apprehensive about leaving Cozumel. I'd hate to get to PDC and something happen to the ferry!

We absolutely loved our stop at Playa del Carmen a few years ago and we are considering taking the ferry from Cozumel to PDC on our next cruise. Has anyone done this recently? How did it work for you? I'm kind of apprehensive about leaving Cozumel. I'd hate to get to PDC and something happen to the ferry!

We are planning on taking the ferry in July. Our ship will be in port about 9 hours. The only advice I have is do not take the ferry that is closest to the time you need to be back on board. Take the one before that. I believe there are 2 ferry companies.

Yes, there are 2 ferry companies (Mexico and Ultramar), but they run at alternate times, generally about an hour apart.

The only advice I have is do not take the ferry that is closest to the time you need to be back on board. Take the one before that.

Good advice...

Cheers, P:)

On that same note...only buy one-way tickets. That way if the other company's ferry is leaving first, you can get your one-way back on that ferry instead of waiting for the same one you brought over.

We've done both Cozumel and Playa lots of times. My thought is why not stay on Cozumel and wander the town there? Yes, Playa is lots of fun, but so is San Miguel. If you go to the town square area and the streets that shoot off of there, it's quite similar. Not quite as built up, but lots of fun places to shop, eat, drink. Don't miss the diamond in the rough of San Miguel. :) (Much better prices too, if you are looking to shop).

Edited by mrsfuzzmo

• 2 weeks later...

There is not a ferry every hour so be sure you have checked the schedule. The two companies have different schedules for odd and even days. You can locate the current schedules online--Ultramar and Mexico Waterjets. Recently we could have made a 3 pm ferry back to Playa where we were staying, but there was no 3 pm ferry that day so we had to leave at 4.

On that same note...only buy one-way tickets. That way if the other company's ferry is leaving first, you can get your one-way back on that ferry instead of waiting for the same one you brought over.

We've done both Cozumel and Playa lots of times. My thought is why not stay on Cozumel and wander the town there? Yes, Playa is lots of fun, but so is San Miguel. If you go to the town square area and the streets that shoot off of there, it's quite similar. Not quite as built up, but lots of fun places to shop, eat, drink. Don't miss the diamond in the rough of San Miguel. :) (Much better prices too, if you are looking to shop).

We have explored Cozumel. We've been all through San Miguel and the whole island. We want a beach day because that is what we enjoy the most. Thanks for the advice though.

• 3 months later...

I'd probably only do it if I had a very long time in port. Also, that ferry was one of only three times in forty years or more of cruising that I got seasick--and so did many others on the ferry. It's not worth it to me, since I always find things to do on Cozumel.