Seabourn Russia and Baltic Jewels on Legend

ctrunfree

Hi everyone

We are contemplating the Seabourn Russia and Baltic Jewels in August as our first ever cruise. It seems though that this is a new itinerary for this ship-which from what we've read has been or is just about to be sold off.

It appears this route was previously done by one of Seabourn's larger ships. Is there anything we should be concerned about in dropping back to the smaller vessel?

I don't know your exact itinerary, but we did a similar cruise on the Sojourn last summer. It is a bigger ship than the Legend.

However, looking at the SB website, I don't think anything sinister is going on.

I think it's a case of Seabourn just increasing capacity in Northern Europe this year, as they do have the Quest - same size as Sojourn - in the area in addition to the Legend this summer. Both ships seem to be doing a Baltic cruise plus one that takes in the fjords and northern Norway.

Most experienced Seabourn guests here at CC will tell you that cruising on the Legend is a very special experience, so enjoy it!

Hi everyone

We are contemplating the Seabourn Russia and Baltic Jewels in August as our first ever cruise. It seems though that this is a new itinerary for this ship-which from what we've read has been or is just about to be sold off.

It appears this route was previously done by one of Seabourn's larger ships. Is there anything we should be concerned about in dropping back to the smaller vessel?

It looks like a modified version of a cruise I did on the Pride. The size of the ship was never an issue. This cruise is shorter and you spend less time in St. Petersburg.

If you do not have two overnights (three days) in St. Petersburg I advise against the cruise since that city is the prime reason for taking it. Even with three days you will not make dent in everything to see. If you do go PLEASE do private tours instead of ship's excursions in St.Petersburg.

If you do not have two overnights (three days) in St. Petersburg I advise against the cruise since that city is the prime reason for taking it. Even with three days you will not make dent in everything to see. If you do go PLEASE do private tours instead of ship's excursions in St.Petersburg.

We are on the Legend in the Baltic in August. Whilst we usually make our own arrangements for excursions we had thought we might take Seabourns for St Petersburg.

Interested to hear you reasoning why you advise against this?

We are on the Legend in the Baltic in August. Whilst we usually make our own arrangements for excursions we had thought we might take Seabourns for St Petersburg.

Interested to hear you reasoning why you advise against this?

They generally say its cheaper - you see more - better quality guide. That may work for couples/groups but not so much for a solo.

They generally say its cheaper - you see more - better quality guide. That may work for couples/groups but not so much for a solo.

We most probably will go for private tours....but wondering about the evening at St Catherine's Palace offered by Seabourn ~ DH is keen on this ~ didn't you take this tour a couple of years ago and how was it?

We most probably will go for private tours....but wondering about the evening at St Catherine's Palace offered by Seabourn ~ DH is keen on this ~ didn't you take this tour a couple of years ago and how was it?

I did. After the previous two Hermitage tours I was tired. It was about a 1hr drive to the palace where we were greeted with warm vodka and champagne. We were then given a tour of the palace and allowed to photograph the amber room.

The enviornmental controls were done manually - that is only X many people in a room for Y time then it was time to scoot. After the tour we were taken to a large room and offered more warm champagne and given seats. There was no a/c in the building and this room was almost like a greenhouse. After a short while and procession we were treated to dancers. This went on for a bit and we were ushered outside to see more dancers pull up on a carriage. After that it was time for a 1.5 or so hour drive back (it was a weekend and downtown was packed). There weren't too many people on the tour and after being mobbed in the Hermitage it was a very nice change.

Many thanks, I am a bit worried that it's low rent disney land entertainment, but maybe I can cope with that if the tour of the Palace is not crowded out, as this has been on my list of places to visit for some great many years I really want to see!

Many thanks, I am a bit worried that it's low rent disney land entertainment, but maybe I can cope with that if the tour of the Palace is not crowded out, as this has been on my list of places to visit for some great many years I really want to see!

Disney you say? ;)

DSC_0259-XL.jpg

DSC_0271-XL.jpg

DSC_0293-XL.jpg

The entertainment was well Disney-esque. For putting up with that we were the only group on the grounds and there were only about 20 of us. It was the only time in Russia (aside from two restaurant stops) where we weren't in masses of people.

Even early access to the Hermitage is a joke. You and every other ship in port as well as other tour groups get that early access.

We did the same tour from Sojourn last July and we did the palace independently on a tour the next day.

You get to take photos in the Amber Room (normally prohibited) and you can certainly see everything easily.

I also suggest booking with an independent company. Lots recommended on the boards. The SB tours had about 40-60 on a coach, the independent guides use smaller vans (can avoid some of the traffic snarls) with no more than 16 in a group. I booked a private tour for the 3 of us and we saw a lot more because we were able to dodge in and around the massive groups. in total it was the same price as us doing the tours through seabourn

You also set your own agenda, can change at will, go to the head of the line at each site, have your own private guide so you don't have to strain to listen along with forty other people, you don't have to keep returning to the ship to get different tours during the day, it will wind up costing less etc. St. Petersburg is the most important port in the world where you need private tours.

.... After the tour we were taken to a large room and offered more warm champagne and given seats. There was no a/c in the building and this room was almost like a greenhouse. After a short while and procession we were treated to dancers. This went on for a bit and we were ushered outside to see more dancers pull up on a carriage........

If I didn't thank you for posting your photos at the time, I meant to. I enjoyed your cruise vicariously. Now, armed with the above info, I just wish you had included a 'selfie' as you witnessed more dancers arriving.:eek:

If I didn't thank you for posting your photos at the time, I meant to. I enjoyed your cruise vicariously. Now, armed with the above info, I just wish you had included a 'selfie' as you witnessed more dancers arriving.:eek:

I would've looked like a cartoon with eyes bulging out of my head. I like being anonymous and being able to say what I dealt with and experienced rather than the {name redeacted} who only goes on and on about how the captain/hotel manager/cruise owner took care of him/his wife (which of course has nothing to do with the average passenger).

That being said I'm sure there's a few people with pictures of me from that cruise:D

/wish I had the post cruise time to spend with the KLM attendant and her husband