Visa question

Norveilex

This might sound like an odd question. I am thinking about traveling to Russia. I thought about taking the Queen Mary 2 from New York to Southampton. Then going from there to Russia by train.

The question I have is... Do I need visa for every country? Since the ship is stopping in the UK... do I need a visa for there? Do I need visas for the countries that I have to stop and get on a different train? For example a stop in Poland on my way to Russia. Would I need a visa for Poland?

If you are traveling on a US passport, you would only need a visa for Russia. We have entered by land, the countries you would visit to get to Russia and did not need a visa for any of them.

As Bruce mentioned, you would need a visa for Russia. They are not cheap (a couple of hundred US$ per person) with processing fees and visa fees. The application is also a pain to fillout, but doable. You must get the visa in advance, they are not issued on arrival

I would like to thank you both for answering my questions. I have another question. How difficult is it to get a Russian visa? I have an online friend that can give me an invitation. How long does does it usually take?

Edited by Norveilex

I would like to thank you both for answering my questions. I have another question. How difficult is it to get a Russian visa? I have an online friend that can give me an invitation. How long does does it usually take?

Here is a thread from the Northern Europe & Baltics forum which might help. I would post any followup questions over there for better response.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1984346

Russia makes it difficult. Unless you live in a big city where there's a Russian Embassy, your easiest choice is to go through a visa service. You just need to complete the paperwork, have all necessary documents and fees and they do all the legwork. It can take 4 to 6 weeks.

I don't know what you mean by an online friend giving you an invitation, but to be honest, unless you know this person well, I'm not sure I'd trust anyone with getting you a visa.