What airport to use from Southampton docks?

patiolaterns

Either Heathrow or Gatwick. Gatwick is nearer, in my mind given it's proximity to Windsor Heathrow has better sightseeing in its radius.

Gatwick has the advantage if avoiding the M25 motorway which is prone to issues. You can also take a direct train there from Southampton. Heathrow is harder to travel to by public transport

Heathrow

better flights unless you use Air transat then LGW

Distance Sou to LHR 108 km

Sou to Lgw 146 km

National Express has a bus from Southampton to Heathrow

Edited by LHT28

Gatwick has the advantage if avoiding the M25 motorway which is prone to issues. You can also take a direct train there from Southampton. Heathrow is harder to travel to by public transport

Did not uktog get these the wrong way round?

Heathrow is nearer and has more flights and has direct connections.

But it can be more horrible.

Gatwick is further and is down the M25 (nasty)

There are usually direct coaches from the gangplank to Heathrow but they are overpriced due to the captive market.

Did not uktog get these the wrong way round?

Heathrow is nearer and has more flights and has direct connections.

But it can be more horrible.

Gatwick is further and is down the M25 (nasty)

There are usually direct coaches from the gangplank to Heathrow but they are overpriced due to the captive market.

No time for time Gatwick is much easier, the M25 which you need to use part of for Heathrow is also known as Londons circular six lane car park when it gets round to the area of Heathrow - the roads into Heathrow are also known nightmares.

You can come down cross country from Gatwick and there are trains that stop at the airport terminal that take you straight to Southampton, you do not have that at Heathrow.

Yes, if you book through the cruise line you can pick up included transfers but many do not. Certainly we have the choice of Heathrow or Gatwick when going to Southampton on our domestic flights (if we do not use an internal budget airline direct to Southampton airport) and we would choose Gatwick over Heathrow for convenience of the transfer

It is one of these situations where distances are deceptive

We will be docking at Southampton England on our cruise - wonder what airport/terminal we should use for plane ride home to Toronto Canada.

Heathrow or Gatewick or................?

Thanks for your help

If you're wanting to fly back into YYZ, you will have to fly from Heathrow and more likely than not it will be with either Delta or KLM. Heathrow is on the west side of London not far from where my husband grew up. Southampton is one hour's drive southwest of the airport and there's plenty of transportation--taxi, limo, bus, etc. available between the two.

If you're wanting to fly back into YYZ, you will have to fly from Heathrow and more likely than not it will be with either Delta or KLM. Heathrow is on the west side of London not far from where my husband grew up. Southampton is one hour's drive southwest of the airport and there's plenty of transportation--taxi, limo, bus, etc. available between the two.

I agree, if it's with Azamara (Choice Air) then LHR will, in our experience, be the airport.

I would think Air Canada would also be a possibility as it was for us this summer.

We will be docking at Southampton England on our cruise - wonder what airport/terminal we should use for plane ride home to Toronto Canada.

Heathrow or Gatewick or................?

Thanks for your help

Off topic, but thanks to your name on this forum I have a certain Kim Mitchell song reminding me of summer evenings on these rather frigid nights.