Unique Situation-Diet Tonic Water

ddoc

I ghve been having lots os problems and pain in my right leg. I've been to many types of doctorss and had many test. They don't know what is causing the pain. Up 'til now, there hasn't been anything that has given me relief until my family doctor suggested that I start drinking tonic water each day.

to my amazement, it works.

Since I am diabetic, it has to be sugar free.

Does Royal Caribbean carry diet-free tonic water? If not, do you think they will let me bring some on the ship?

They do not carry it. I wish they did. Could save a lot of calories on the vodka and tonics.

You probably won't have a problem carrying it on but just in case I would contact the special needs department before you leave.

They can tell you how to make sure you don't have a problem.

They do not carry it. I wish they did. Could save a lot of calories on the vodka and tonics.

You probably won't have a problem carrying it on but just in case I would contact the special needs department before you leave.

I would ditto the encouragement to contact the special needs department. You're covered that way in case you run into any problems with getting on the boat with it.

I ghve been having lots os problems and pain in my right leg. I've been to many types of doctorss and had many test. They don't know what is causing the pain. Up 'til now, there hasn't been anything that has given me relief until my family doctor suggested that I start drinking tonic water each day.

to my amazement, it works.

Since I am diabetic, it has to be sugar free.

Does Royal Caribbean carry diet-free tonic water? If not, do you think they will let me bring some on the ship?

They had it on the Serenade in November. They ran out of regular tonic and offered my husband diet for his gin and tonic. I would think that they could accommodate you if you call now and advise of your dietary needs.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I would add that even if they say they will get some on board for you, I would advise bringing your own as well. If other passengers see that you can get diet tonic! they will be asking if they can have some too. The supply might go quickly if one of the bartenders doesn't realise that it's a special requirement for you.

and they told me that as long as I have a letter from the doctor saying medically necessary, I am OK to bring on the diet tonic water.

I've gotten a letter from him and I'm good to go!

The ingredient in tonic water that may help cramps is quinine (it's also anti-malarial, which is why it's called tonic water. The British army in India used to give their troops the daily gin ration combined with tonic water and lime juice for vitamin c, hence the modern-day gin and tonic.)

Quinine is available as a prescription, but as it's not FDA approved for cramps it can be hard to find a doc to prescribe it. We used to give it out all the time.

Google quinine and leg cramps for more info and some other options if the diet tonic water doesn't work out.

Damn, can I tell them my "special need" is needing to cut calories?!?! :)

and they told me that as long as I have a letter from the doctor saying medically necessary, I am OK to bring on the diet tonic water.

I've gotten a letter from him and I'm good to go!

You'll be fine. First I doubt they'll even question it. We bring on Cranberry Juice for my wife and have never been stopped. Also she brings Smart Water for the electolytes. She also has a note from her Dr. but has never needed it, and we are talking 6 or more cruises. We also bring Grapefruit juice as she doesn't like the canned stuff they have on board.

The Dr. note is a great insurance policy, but it's unlikely you'll have to even show it.

They had it on the Serenade in November. They ran out of regular tonic and offered my husband diet for his gin and tonic. I would think that they could accommodate you if you call now and advise of your dietary needs.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

As a G and T drinker I would like the option of having the low cal version. In Canada it is very hard to find - except for one supermarket brand. The major companies don't market it.

The ingredient in tonic water that may help cramps is quinine (it's also anti-malarial, which is why it's called tonic water. The British army in India used to give their troops the daily gin ration combined with tonic water and lime juice for vitamin c, hence the modern-day gin and tonic.)

Quinine is available as a prescription, but as it's not FDA approved for cramps it can be hard to find a doc to prescribe it. We used to give it out all the time.

Google quinine and leg cramps for more info and some other options if the diet tonic water doesn't work out.

Most modern tonic water contains a negligible amount of quinine (plus artificial flavors to make up for it). There are a few premium brands that actually contain quinine such as Fever Tree or Q Tonic, but they are the exception.

Not such a unique situation at all. I can't have too much sugar OR caffeine, so I was thinking about a doctor's note to bring diet sodas. It appears that they have no caffeine-free diet sodas on board.

So my question is: those of you who have brought items on board - how much? Would I have a problem if I tried to bring a large bottle of diet tonic water and a large bottle of diet sprite?

Most modern tonic water contains a negligible amount of quinine (plus artificial flavors to make up for it). There are a few premium brands that actually contain quinine such as Fever Tree or Q Tonic, but they are the exception.

Hmm. I wonder why it's working for his cramps? Placebo effect? I can't think of anything else in tonic water that would help that's not in other sodas.

Not such a unique situation at all. I can't have too much sugar OR caffeine, so I was thinking about a doctor's note to bring diet sodas. It appears that they have no caffeine-free diet sodas on board.

So my question is: those of you who have brought items on board - how much? Would I have a problem if I tried to bring a large bottle of diet tonic water and a large bottle of diet sprite?

They have Sprite Zero.