Your 5.......... worst (disappointing) ports

Under the 'Your 5 favourite.......' suggestions for threads, the worst ports was suggested. This is a good idea so that people can bear it in mind if they are considering an itinerary which includes such destinations.

Better still, if you haven't liked a port (please say why) then any ideas for excursions or other places to go to from there might be very helpful to others.

Although this is in the theme of making 5 choices - I hope you can't find that many ports you have been disappointed in! Most ports we manage to find some redeeming features but I have a few:

1. Dikili (Turkey) this port had no infrastructure for tourism at all. There was a promenade of sorts but it was really in need of a facelift and the beach was uninviting with no facilities. Extremely disappointing - probably stands out for me as the worst port we've been to. It was dropped the following season by Thomson - hopefully not to reappear. There may have been a good trip from there but as it was a new port we thought we'd just explore it. Mistake - as there really was nothing there to explore.

2. Trabzon (Turkey) I think this is one of the itineraries this year in the Black Sea. It's a large town (city) by the sea but as far as we could see little had been made of its coastal position. We walked from the port into town which had a lot of shops but not much like a shopping centre we'd see in the UK. It was busy with hustle bustle but nothing much geared to tourists like pavement cafes etc. Rather unattractive. Our friends, like us, had got off the ship to explore and quite soon we got a text saying they were heading back to the ship to see if they could pick up an excursion. We were doing exactly the same thing! So, strong recommendation is to take a trip out from here. We got on one to the Sumelia Monastery which we really enjoyed - it was a very scenic trip through the mountains but you do need to be reasonably fit as there were a lot of steps to get to the monastery.

It's a shame that both ports are in Turkey as that gives a poor impression when some of my favourite ports are also in Turkey (Istanbul, Marmaris, Bodrum).

I wouldn't like to pick any others in this category although there are a few I wouldn't much care to visit again - Didim, Casablanca (tho geo's given me a good recommendation of a trip to Rabat from here) and some ports in Egypt are only good if you go on excursions imo.

Just disappointing:

In a different category in that we had a wander and it wasn't bad at all as there were cafes etc and some areas to explore, but I was quite disappointed in Cagliari as a destination. We did the trip to the salt flats with the flamingoes (about six) but it wasn't a particularly interesting or scenic excursion. I'd like to know if there is anything better to do here.

Hope you haven't got too many to put on your lists! :rolleyes:

Now that this thread has appeared again, I'll add my contribution. :)

1. Dikili Turkey

Like kruzseeka I was very disappointed with this port, even more so as we were meant to go to Canakkale, but were told of the change when we arrived at the ship (supposed to be because of too many ships in Canakkale, but we later heard a rumour that this was all rubbish and it was because the new captain wasn't actually allowed, because of some disagreement with him and Canakkale, to dock there. Whether that was true or not, I don't know, but Canakkale isn't exactly a busy port I don't think!). Dikili itself was a bit of a dump to be honest. We went on the Pergamon trip from here, which was okay, but nothing exciting really. Hoping Thomson will never return here again!

2. Casablanca Morocco

Didn't like Casablanca itself at all. Docked next to some sort of rubbish heap. Would definitely recommend a trip away from Casablanca: either Marrakech or Rabat. Rabat is a good option. A cheap excursion really considering the distance it is from Casablanca, but a really nice city.

3. St Raphael France

Now, this isn't for St Raphael itself, but because of the chaotic tendering here. Because of the layout of the marina, only one tender can go in and out at a time. So, when all the excursions arrived back at once, it was chaos! Queued for over half hour to get the tender (most people queued for much longer), and the ship left late as a result. I thought they might have changed this port as a result for next year, but it is still there, so whether they have amended their schedule? St Raphael itself is okay, but not as good as Villefranche just down the coast.

4. Tarragona Spain

Not much here really of interest, definitely recommend an excursion to Barcelona. Thomson have replaced Tarragona with Palamos now, but looking at the schedules for next summer, it would seem it could be making a return on a couple of occasions (maybe if Palamos is too busy?). If it does appear again, go to Barcelona or Montserrat.

5. La Goulette Tunisia

Clearly a port that was used in the early days of Thomson Cruises just so they were out of the EU so could charge duty free.

Seeing as I suggested it I had better have a stab, don' t know if I can find a fulll five though:rolleyes:

1 Alexandria, Egypt:

What a dump, litter everywhere, pestered as soon as you get out of the port area. How many times do I have to tell you I don't want a Taxi, Horse and trap, Guide, help to cross the road...arrgh. Never felt really safe there, I know it's their way of life but I didn't want to see live chickens and cute bunny rabbits in cages outside filthy Butchers shops. Maybe we just walked though the wrong area but it was very intimidating being stared at by everyone as though you were from a different planet.

2 Port Said, Egypt:

After the experience in Alexandria we never got off. We knew it was just a stopping off point to visit the Pyramids, but looking at the market stalls you have to run the gauntlet of to leave the port area made us decide to stay onboard and enjoy Celebration with the 200 or so of us that didn't do a trip.

3 Safaga, Egypt: (hmm, is there a pattern forming here?)

Nothing much here except the view of the cement factory. Like Port Said, it's a means to an end, somewhere to dock close (ish) to the Valley of the Kings.

4 Casablanca, Morrocco:

The Mosque is impressive, but that's about it. Another scruffy African City.

So many on here have suggested the trip to Rabat, so I think we will do that next time we are there in April. It's a massive container port and it's quite relaxing on deck watching all the to-ing and fro-ing as they move the containers around.

5 La Romana, Dominican Republic:

Not much to see here on the changeover day of a 2 week cruise on the Destiny. You could do a trip to the Bounty commercial Island, but not much else. We had a walk around for an hour then got back onboard.

Here are my couple suggestions

1. St Vincent Caribbean

No beaches to speak of. Kingstown is a working port with nothing to offer cruise passengers.

2. La Goulette Tunisia

Just a cattle market with the taxi drivers not taking no for an answer.

Seeing as I suggested it I had better have a stab, don' t know if I can find a fulll five though:rolleyes:

La Romana, Dominican Republic:

Not much to see here on the changeover day of a 2 week cruise on the Destiny. You could do a trip to the Bounty commercial Island, but not much else. We had a walk around for an hour then got back onboard.

Would agree with the Egypt ports joe - need to take trips really. Yes, La Romana was somewhere we didn't feel very comfortable once we left the security of the port.

We did the half day Mississippi boat trip (with rum drinks included) to Altos de Chavon which wasn't a bad trip - perhaps worth considering given the limitations of La Romana itself.

The only one I can think of is SAFAGA. We couln't even go for a walk. The next time we were here we went to Hurgurda and didn't like that either. We did do the beach trip and that was quite a nice day. Having said that if we hadn't already been to Luxor and had done the excursions I would have thought this an amazing port.

We didn't like KATAKALON but others have been and said the beach is wonderful, it's just the weather was so bad the day we were there I didn't even know it had a beach. So sometimes your perception can be altered by other factors.

Disappointed by HELSINKI, not that there was anything wrong I just thought it wasn't a very attractive city. If I went again I would do an excursion.

I must admit I had to really think to come up with anything to post here so all in all not bad when you think of all the places you visit.

Tangier (awful) and Agadir (not much better)

Forgot about Tangier! Yes, agree that it was terrible. Pretty much a building site most of it, and the usual hassle from sellers as you get off the ship.

In terms of Naples, I actually was quite pleasantly surprised. Certainly areas are not great, but the main town centre I thought was quite nice. :o

However, I definitely agree with the current trend of swapping Naples with Sorrento. Sorrento wins every time!

1 Alexandria, Egypt:

What a dump, litter everywhere, pestered as soon as you get out of the port area. How many times do I have to tell you I don't want a Taxi, Horse and trap, Guide, help to cross the road...arrgh. Never felt really safe there, I know it's their way of life but I didn't want to see live chickens and cute bunny rabbits in cages outside filthy Butchers shops. Maybe we just walked though the wrong area but it was very intimidating being stared at by everyone as though you were from a different planet.

2 Port Said, Egypt:

After the experience in Alexandria we never got off. We knew it was just a stopping off point to visit the Pyramids, but looking at the market stalls you have to run the gauntlet of to leave the port area made us decide to stay onboard and enjoy Celebration with the 200 or so of us that didn't do a trip.

3 Safaga, Egypt: (hmm, is there a pattern forming here?)

Nothing much here except the view of the cement factory. Like Port Said, it's a means to an end, somewhere to dock close (ish) to the Valley of the Kings.

4 Casablanca, Morrocco:

The Mosque is impressive, but that's about it. Another scruffy African City.

So many on here have suggested the trip to Rabat, so I think we will do that next time we are there in April. It's a massive container port and it's quite relaxing on deck watching all the to-ing and fro-ing as they move the containers around.

5 La Romana, Dominican Republic:

We haven't been to Casablanca, but definitely agree with the other 4. Definitely places to go on an organised trip. Alexandria was ruined for me by the hassle at the port gate, yet as a place of interest it has a lot to offer. Will take an excursion next time, some places are not good for DIY

Sweby

We haven't been to Casablanca, but definitely agree with the other 4. Definitely places to go on an organised trip. Alexandria was ruined for me by the hassle at the port gate, yet as a place of interest it has a lot to offer. Will take an excursion next time, some places are not good for DIY

Sweby

We did the Library trip (with one or two other landmarks) in Alexandria - it was surprisingly interesting and quite an iconic (new) building with very imaginative architecture. We felt we'd done the right thing doing a trip and saw something of the city from the coach which is perhaps a good way to do it! I think the Al Alamein War Cemetery is a trip you can do from Alexandria and I've read on here others say how moving and worthwhile this excursion is. So another alternative.

I can only think of one, Tunis. I guess we haven't cruised as much as some of you. I think if we had gone to Carthage I would be saying none ;)

When I think of the Dominican Republic I think of Cayo Levantado and I will never forget the beauty of it and our first swim in the Caribbean.

When I think of Naples, I think of the Bay of Naples, one of my favourite places ever.

Edited by Little Nell

Brindisi, Southern Italy- where shipped docked was surrounded by blocks of tatty flats. Last port of Adriatic explorer before going back to Corfu, Thomson only went there a couple of times before exchanging it for the much more lovely Kotor. Unfortunately we were on one of those 2 visits. I read before we went how awful it was before we went, so booked a Thomson excursion, good job too, the local taxi drivers looked really scarey!

Brindisi, Southern Italy- where shipped docked was surrounded by blocks of tatty flats. Last port of Adriatic explorer before going back to Corfu, Thomson only went there a couple of times before exchanging it for the much more lovely Kotor. Unfortunately we were on one of those 2 visits. I read before we went how awful it was before we went, so booked a Thomson excursion, good job too, the local taxi drivers looked really scarey!

Agree - nothing very appealing here. Luckily I'd done a bit of research before we went and decided an excursion was called for! We went to Alberobello which was charming with the distinctive Trulli houses with conical roofs. I don't suppose Thomson will go back there but in case they did, I'd recommend this trip.

Yes Little Nell, whilst the Dominican Republic may give us some contenders for this thread, I agree Cayo Levantado is something else. It will definitely appear in my 5 favourite Caribbean beaches or most idyllic locations .....will start a thread of that ilk sometime - get this negative one off our chests and on to our fab memories. And aren't we fortunate to have so many of those? ;)

Disappointed by HELSINKI, not that there was anything wrong I just thought it wasn't a very attractive city. If I went again I would do an excursion.

There are some nice parts of Helsinki, The Botanical Gardens were a surprise, and the architecture of the Train Station inside and out was worth seeing.

Kruz, you did the right thing from Alexandria, loads on our cruise walked out of the port gate, got hassled for 2 minutes and walked straight back on the Ship!!

There are some nice parts of Helsinki, The Botanical Gardens were a surprise, and the architecture of the Train Station inside and out was worth seeing.

Kruz, you did the right thing from Alexandria, loads on our cruise walked out of the port gate, got hassled for 2 minutes and walked straight back on the Ship!!

The Botanic Gardens were where we went but unfortunately they were being refurbished. We didn't have much time left then as we had walked to them and weren't in port for a full day so we just popped in the cathederal (better outside than in) and then went back to the ship. As I said nothing wrong with the place but not very memorable either, but, I am glad I've been.

The Botanic Gardens were where we went but unfortunately they were being refurbished. We didn't have much time left then as we had walked to them and weren't in port for a full day so we just popped in the cathederal (better outside than in) and then went back to the ship. As I said nothing wrong with the place but not very memorable either, but, I am glad I've been.

We're quite fond of Helsinki too. We especially like the Sibelius Monument parkland. We walked to the water adjacent to the park and found a really quaint cafe on the waterfront (called Regatta) and then went on to the Rock Church which is lovely - hewn out of the Rock and with a coiled copper roof. Very unusual and beautiful in its simplicity. I agree the Cathedral is more attractive from outside - the Orthodox Uspenski Cathedral is more impressive internally. We also like to wander through the colourful fruit market on the harbour side.

It's such a pity happy v that you didn't get the chance to spend more time there and discover some of its charms. That's always a real downer when you are rushed at a port - I'm sure you can't explore properly or feel relaxed enough to appreciate what's there as you're clock watching all the time. At the risk of being a bit controversial, apart from the sailaway which is spectacular, we actually like Helsinki more than Stockholm. :eek:

It's really interesting getting others' take on ports - we all have such differing experiences don't we?

Edited by kruzseeka

We weren't very impressed either Vera and someone who was on our dinner table went on a trip and didn't think much of it either. He said he felt they were trying to make something out of nothing.

If we are talking about disappointing, I'm sorry, but I was disappointed by Havana. Coming in to the port, was very impressive, but the reality, I found was different. I didn't like the poor horses outside the port who looked very uncared for. The trip on the hoho bus took us round for an hour and a half, mainly to horrible blocks of flats and was so crowded that we couldn't get off in case we could not get back on again. To top it all, someone on our ship, was attacked on a ship's trip, her bag was taken and she fell, breaking her hip. I'm sure the buildings were wonderful in their heyday, but the state of decripitude of most of them was amazing. I wonder some were still standing! I know lots of people like Havana, and maybe if I went again, I would get a better impression :confused:

If we go again we will explore more but when I did the planning I thought with our limited amount of time we would only have time to do the gardens, normally we would be there at least two hours but only took half an hour. As I only had a map to here we had to make our way back the way we had come and unfortunately it wasn't very scenic but as I say I still think it's better to have been than not.

Actually I do feel a bit guilty complaining about anywhere because I think if you do a bit of research there is always something to see, and to be honest we had some fantastic news yesterday so I'm seeing the whole world through rose coloured spectacles today.:D

Oh come on Vera, spill the beans :confused:

A bit boring for others but a family member we thought was ill, isn't........... puts a lot of things in perpective really. I'm surprised you didn't hear my sigh of relief in Oxford yesterday.:rolleyes::D

That's excellent news happy v - I'm very pleased for you. As you say puts everything into a positive light and into perspective. :)

And I don't think of hearing people's views as complaints happy v. We all have different experiences and opinions. In telling others it just helps paint a picture and we can all cherry pick info to help get an idea of different places. And if ever a thread was inviting you to say negative things about a place this one is!!! :D

We'll move on to something more positive for the next 'Your 5 favourite........' thread so we can indulge ourselves in some of our best memories. But in the meantime you will be so relieved so none of this really matters! ;) Have a lovely day. :)

Edited by kruzseeka

Well put Kruzseeka. Everybody's "little" problems are "big" problems to the people themselves. I found everyone so supportive about my daughter and even though I have never met any of you (nearly met kalos :rolleyes:) I feel we are all friends :)

Glad CC is back, had to go on FB last night :rolleyes::D but good discussion over insurance, which led to a sleepless night as I thought we had not been insured for the last 4 holidays :eek: but sorted now. Will tell the tale later :)